Orientation for Freshman Students
We are very excited for you to start your academic career at Montana State University! Orientation is your introduction to academic and non-academic life at Montana State University. All new students are required to attend an Orientation session.
Students accepted for admission to MSU will receive Orientation materials at the following times:
- Students admitted for Fall Semester-after March 1st
- Students admitted for Spring Semester-after November 1st
- Students admitted for Summer Session-after March 1st
Orientation Registration Information
All new students are required to attend an Orientation Session, except for students registering for summer courses. Please see below for more information.
Starting school in the fall?
Freshmen who will be starting school fall semester will need to register for one of the three summer Orientation Programs (June or July) or the fall Orientation Program (August).
- Students attending the June or July Orientation programs are required to stay on campus and pay a non-refundable $100 meals and lodging fee.
- Students attending the August Orientation will move directly into their housing accommodations for the fall semester upon arrival to campus, so there is no meal and lodging fee associated with this Orientation.
You will be able to register for Orientation online through your Admissions Checklist in early March. In order to register, go to www.montana.edu and click on 'My Info', then 'Enter Secure Area' with your Student ID number and password, then click on 'Admissions Checklist'. For detailed instructions on logging into My Info go to www.montana.edu/admissions/myinfo.shtml.
Starting school in the spring?
Freshmen who will be starting school spring semester, do not need to register for Orientation. Information regarding spring Orientation will be sent to you prior to the start of the spring semester.
Starting school in the summer?
Freshmen that start school during a summer session will not need to attend an Orientation for summer school. Students will be mailed information on course registration. *Please note that freshmen taking summer courses will still need to register for an Orientation during June, July or August to register for fall courses.
All new freshmen pay a one-time New Student Fee of $65. This fee is included on the fee statement of the first semester in which a student attends MSU.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Orientation Office at (406) 994-2827, toll-free at (888) MSU-CATS or via email at email@example.com.