Director, Montana State Univ.
Jovanka’s role is to foster development of sustainable partnerships between communities, project leaders and the program cores to balance the priorities of the communities with advancement of knowledge. Her scientific area of expertise is innate immune evasion mechanisms used by pathogenic bacteria, and her research is to elucidate pathogen and host factors essential to initiate infection. Read more here.
Bert Boyer, Ph.D., is a professor of Molecular Biology at the University of Alaska Fairbanks and the Director, Center for Alaska Native Health Research. Dr. Boyer’s research group focuses in genomic, epigenomic and environmental risk and protective factors related to obesity and diabetes in Yup'ik people from Southwest Alaska. For 15 years, Dr. Boyer and colleagues have been working in rural Alaska developing a longitudinal study involving ~1,900 Yup'ik Alaska Native people in 11 communities using a community-based participatory research (CBPR) framework.
Judith Salmon Kaur is the medical director for the Native American Programs of the Mayo Clinic Comprehensive Cancer Center. All three Mayo sites , Florida, Arizona and Rochester , are involved in outreach to American Indians and Alaska Natives through Native C.I.R.C.L.E and the “Spirit of Eagles” programs. Dr. Kaur is Choctaw/Cherokee and one of only two American Indian medical oncologists in the country.
Core Directors and Staff
- Administrative Team: Douglas Kominsky, Montana coordinator and Maria Stejskal, Alaska coordinator
- Community Engagement and Outreach: Scarlett Hopkins, Univ. of Alaska Fairbanks
- Research, Design, Epidemiology and Biostatistics: Tim Thomas, Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium
- Professional Development: (Nancy) Jane Shelby, Univ. of Alaska Anchorage
- Pilot Project Program: Jocelyn Krebs, Univ. of Alaska Anchorage
- Tracking and Evaluation: Lisa M. Blank, Univ. of Montana
Susan Brown Trinidad
Allen Harmsen earned his post doc from the Vermont Lung Center at the University of Vermont and specializes in Pulmonary Immunology and Immunopathology.