ASMSU 2018 B 12 Budget Reallocation
Sponsor: Ambika Murali Yes ____ No ____ Senators Present ____
Co-Sponsors: Scott Killian First Reading ______________________
Nick Lyon Second Reading ____________________
Vote Necessary: A majority ASMSU Senate Speaker
Intent: To clarify budget reallocation
process in the ASMSU By-Laws. Effective Date _____________________
1. The Finance Board shall:
(i) Review and make recommendations regarding all budget requests to the Senate;
a) Reallocation of monies within an existing budget does not constitute a budget request, as long as the amount for reallocation stays within three percent of the program’s total allocated budget, or three thousand dollars, whichever is lower.
(ii) Review and make recommendations regarding the annual budget to the Senate; and
The Budget Oversight Committee shall:
1. Meet as needed to review student program and classified program expenditures and ensure budget alignment; and
2. Hear proposed reallocations of monies allocated to directors and vote on their approval; and
3. Recommend action to the Senate via resolution in response to deviation of the fiscal budget as allocated by the Senate; and
4. Have the ability to order a meeting with the director of the program in question. The President and Business Manager shall have the right to be present at the meeting; and
5. Recommend any legislation and proceedings deemed necessary to rectify the situation.
All program directors shall:
1. Prepare, submit and present the program’s annual, supplemental and reserve budget requests to the Finance Board and Senate;
2. Maintain a current mission statement for the program;
3. Administer the program’s budget and account for all funds appropriated to and/or generated by the program;
4. Report regularly to the Senate;
5. Ensure program is in compliance with all federal, state and local regulations;
6. Ensure a successful transition to future directors;
7. Coordinate, plan, advertise and administer program’s operations and events;
8. Hire and supervise staff when applicable;
9. Submit a year-end report to Administrative Council and Senate; and,
10. Keep the program’s website information current.
11. Evaluate and reallocate, as needed, changes and variations in account codes up to three percent of their total allocated budget, or three thousand dollars, whichever is lower. Such reallocations shall require an affirmative vote from the Senate Budget Oversight Committee. Changes and variations exceeding three percent of their total allocated budget, or three thousand dollars, whichever is lower, shall be brought before Finance Board and Senate.
A. Funds designated for a specific function can be used for a different function as long as the same goal is met. Any change in the use of specifically designated funds will be reviewed and confirmed by the Finance Board and Senate. Any reallocation requests for up to three percent of a program’s total allocated budget, or three thousand dollars, whichever is lower, will be reviewed and confirmed by the Budget Oversight Committee only.