IT Sustainability Initiative
The Auxiliary Services Information Technology Division is currently undertaking a number of initiatives to reduce our environmental impact and show our due diligence in sustainability within the Information Technology arena. This initiative allows us to realize cost savings, meet sustainability objectives over time, reduce the environmental (carbon) footprint and reduce energy consumption. A Win-Win!
What we're doing
Auxiliary Services estimates an
energy savings of $40K over the
next three years!
$13,800.00 each year in savings in projected savings
- Rolling out power settings to managed desktops and laptops which will significantly reduce energy consumption by having them powered off longer and when not in use.
- Selecting products that are Energy Star Rated or EPEAT products which can shut down when not in use and selecting products by integrating sustainability into the procurement process.
- Virtualization and consolidation of servers for a smaller footprint coupled with replacing older less energy efficient hardware.
- Defaulting prints to double sided printing.
- Encouraging staff to turn off their monitors when they leave their desk for an extended period of time.
- Promote and adopt sustainability initiatives. Ex: Purchase refurbished ink cartridges and toner
- Make information available online as much as possible versus printing in hardcopy format (eForms Initiative)
- Utilizing the E-scrap / E-waste programs on campus
- Partnering with MSU's Office of Sustainability
Did you Know
- One computer left on 24/7 will cost $115 - $160 per year and dump 1,500lbs of CO2 into the atmosphere. (Tufts Climate Initiative)
- Screensavers were designed to protect older monitors. Today's screensavers do not save energy but turning on a blank screen such as our computer policies are doing will save energy.
By managing Auxiliary Services desktops and laptops centrally with power management settings, personnel can leave their computers on and the computer policies will turn off the systems after a set time. The Wake on LAN technology facilitates the computer coming back on when important updates, security patches, and other IT maintenance is required.
Green IT - Helping to Create a Sustainable Planet