Employer Services Policies
The Montana State University Career, Internship & Student Employment Services office is committed to working in the best interest of MSU students. We have established employer policies to assist in making on-campus recruiting a professional, fair, and ethical experience. We encourage companies and their recruiters to help us achieve a successful recruiting season by acting in agreement with the following guidelines.
Employer services include, but are not limited to: career/job fairs; on-campus employer information tables; employer information sessions; Career & Internship Services sponsored or scheduled campus facilities, tables, and rooms; bulletin board advertising; job postings on campus bulletin board; and online job postings through HireABobcat.
Career, Internship & Student Employment Services will provide services for organizations whose opportunities meet the following basic criteria:
- If a paid position, the rate of pay is at least the State of Montana minimum wage (calculated over any time scale such as hourly, weekly, semi-monthly, monthly or annually.)
- If the advertised position is an unpaid internship, this condition is clearly publicized in the position description.
- If compensation for the position will be commission only, this condition is clearly publicized in the position description.
- The employer complies with all federal, state, and local and MSU equal employment opportunity regulations.
- The organization accurately describes the responsibilities and requirements of the opportunity in all publicity, including publicity for employer information sessions.
Companies or organizations that hire independent contractors or do not provide a W-2 may use the following limited services:
- Career/Job fairs
- Scheduling a room for a presentation once a semester
- Scheduling an information table once a semester
Career, Internship & Student Employment Services does not provide services, rooms, scheduling, or sponsorship if:
- The opportunity involves on-campus solicitation, posting of materials, or sale of products and services.
- The organization is sponsoring an individual to establish his/her own business for the purpose of selling products or services, and/or recruiting other individuals to establish their own businesses.
- The organization requires an initial payment or investment - with the organization itself serving as an umbrella or parent corporation. Investments of this type may include, but are not limited to: requirement to attend unpaid orientation or training sessions; direct payment of a fixed fee; payment to attend orientation or training sessions; and/or purchase or rent of a starter kit, sales kit, samples, or presentation supplies.
- The organization fails, for any reason, to provide essential information concerning the nature of the position or compensation, including, but not limited to: commission only, job responsibilities, salary, applicant requirements.
- The employer is unable or unwilling to provide written documentation of registration with a Better Business Bureau if so requested.
Services provided to third party agencies:
A third party agency may list positions online through HireABobcat if:
- The agency identifies itself as a third party agency in the job description.
- The agency does not charge any fee to the applicants.
- The agency provides a specific position description and requirements in the online listing.
- The agency complies with the requirements of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act and only releases candidate information with the written permission of the applicant and only for the specific listed position. Re-disclosure of candidate information is not permitted.
Requests from organizations to target only specified audiences:
- The Career, Internship & Student Employment Services office at MSU maintains and promotes a policy of non-discrimination and non-harassment on the basis or race, religion, color, sex, age, disabilities, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, and citizenship. We provide services only for employers whose hiring practices are non-discriminatory according to federal and state laws.
- Career, Internship & Student Employment Services will forward such announcements to appropriate campus organizations such as clubs and campus departments.
- Career, Internship & Student Employment Services will advertise opportunities that target specific populations if they also will consider other students or have opportunities open to all interested students.
On-Campus Recruiting at MSU:
- Plan early to schedule a recruitment date.
- If a preselect-type schedule is desired, a minimum of 4 weeks' notice is necessary to allow time for the announcement of your visit, collection of student materials, and interview sign-ups.
- If less than 4 weeks' notice is given, it is necessary to create an open-type schedule.
- In the event that your schedule is not full at one week prior to the interview date, it can be opened to allow students to sign up who meet your minimum requirements. Please let us know if you would like your schedule opened at that point.
Posting Jobs at MSU:
- Jobs posted on HireABobcat will automatically be assigned an expiration date 45 days past the posting date. Employers may select an expiration date earlier than the 45 day default. If an expiration date beyond 45 days is selected, Career, Internship & Student Employment Services will correct it.
- Employers who have not filled the job may repost for an additional 45 days.
Career/Job fairs are not intended for recruiting other businesses.
The Career, Internship & Student Employment Services staff will investigate complaints by users of our services about job postings, employers, or career events. If we determine that a complaint is justified, we may choose not to sponsor recruiting activities for the employer involved. Career Services will notify the employer in writing of the decision.