The 2018 application is open! Priority application deadline is July 31, late applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis. You will be notified of your acceptance status in early August.
What is MSU Transition?
We recognize that for many students, the first semester can be challenging as they transition from high school to college. For a student with a disability, that transition can be made even more difficult as they navigate new ways of learning, lecture formats, social challenges, technology, landscape, and how to use accommodations in college. The MSU Transition program is designed to help make this time go more smoothly by helping students develop successful strategies for learning and build a network of support early on.
How do I know if MSU Transition is a good option for me?
MSU Transition will be a good option for many students with disabilities. At MSU Transition, you will:
- Spend the day before August orientation in a relaxed, small group environment
- Learn strategies for academic success at MSU, and connect with campus resources
- Meet some of the individuals at MSU who are committed to your success
- Learn about how you can best utilize your accommodation plan to be successful in the college environment
- Move into you Residence Hall early on Monday, August 20 and hear from Residence Life staff about what it's like to live in a hall community
MSU Transition is not intended as a substitution for an MSU freshman orientation session or just an opportunity to move in early. It is intended to supplement orientation for students whose disability may make an already difficult transition period even more challenging.
What will be expected of me?
You will be expected to be available to move into your Residence Hall by 4pm on Monday, August 20 and be available to participate in all parts of the MSU Transition program on Monday, August 20 and Tuesday, August 21.
Tentative Fall 2018 Schedule
- Monday, August 20: Move-In Day, Parent & Family Reception and Evening Residence Hall Activities
- Tuesday, August 21: MSU Transition Pre-Orientation Program
- Wednesday, August 22: Join MSU Freshman Orientation (unless already completed)
Is there a program fee?
There is no program fee for the 2018 MSU Transition program.
How do I apply?
- Complete the MSU Transition Application and submit by emailing, mailing or faxing
it to the Office of Disability Services (contact info on form). Please choose PDF (non-fillable) application or Word (fillable) application.
- If you have not done so already, complete an online intake with the Office of Disability Services.
- Submit supporting documentation of a disability, as outlined in our documentation guidelines.
The 2018 application is open. Priority deadline is July 31. Late applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis. You will be notified of your acceptance status by email early August.
To apply for this program, the incoming student (not parent or guardian) must fill out the application and submit it. We want to get to know you and how this program will help you! There are a limited number of spots available for this program, so early applications are encouraged! Once we have received your application, we will review it and contact you over the summer.
Questions about MSU Transition? Please email Nicole Redding, Program Manager or call at 406-994-2824.