Bias Incident Response Team
The Bias Incident Response Team (BIRT) will review incidents reported, after initial review by the Office of Institutional Equity.
Upon initial review of a case, BIRT will determine course of action and timeline for the case. The BIRT team will meet quarterly to discuss the progress and process of cases, as well as to evaluate and discuss the results of previous cases and to address logistical decisions of the team.
The membership of the Bias Incident Response Team may include the following:
- The BIRT Coordinator – a member of the Office of Institutional Equity
- A representative from the Dean of Students Office
- A representative from the Diversity Awareness Office
- A representative from the Montana State University Police Department
In addition, other campus community members may be consulted about reports on an as needed basis. These members may include (but are not limited to):
- MSU Legal Counsel - MSU Residence Life Staff Member(s)
- MSU Family and Graduate Housing Staff Member(s)
- MSU VOICE Center Staff Representative(s)
- MSU Counseling and Psychological Services Staff Member(s)
- A representative of ASMSU
- A representative from other communities that can provide information regarding the bias complaint.
- Representative(s) from faculty and staff