Demystifying Digital Marketing and Analytics
Program Dates: November 1-3, 2017
Program Fee: $1,500*
Digital disruption has completely transformed how consumers connect with brands today. While many marketing fundamentals still apply the tactics and tools for producing results represents an entirely different shift for marketing leaders.
In this executive education course, attendees will be exposed to a systematic framework for digital marketing with an emphasis on becoming familiar with analytics. Topics include understanding your users, building the right digital experiences, and driving traffic to a property via various channels like SEO, Social Media and Paid Advertising while measuring the effectiveness with analytics.
Borrowing from such diverse fields as design thinking, ethnography, user experience design, and data science, students will come away with a solid understanding of how to plan, execute and iterate modern digital marketing campaigns.
- User Research: Importance of user empathy and how to leverage customer insights for driving digital strategy with user personas
- Digital Strategy: Defining digital marketing success across Search, Social and Paid channels with key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Online Execution: Structuring yearly plans and bi-weekly marketing sprints using agile project management ideas for campaign execution
- Analytics: Introduction to web analytics for measuring all parts of the customer journey
- Real-time Adaptation: How to use data-driven marketing techniques and tools to adapt campaigns in near real-time to lower customer acquisition costs, boost margins, and increase lifetime value
Sample dashboard you’ll learn how to build using Google Analytics & Data Studio:
Who Should Attend
The course is designed to help entry-level to intermediate online marketers quickly get up to speed on frameworks for running online campaigns effectively. We’ll start with the basics of user empathy and build out a digital strategy off these insights for SEO, Social Media, Email Marketing and Paid Advertising. Breakout sessions are planned as well to go deep on a specific topic with the faculty as needed.
Marketers, entrepreneurs, brand managers, advertising account executives and business leaders who are tasked with leveraging the internet for growing their own or client’s businesses and brands. Whether you are a “digital native” or looking to build an interdisciplinary team of designers, coders and marketers, this course will grow your ability to make smart data-driven decisions across technology, campaigns, and platforms. Recommended for individuals with at least 3 to 5 years of marketing management experience.
Individuals are welcome and multiple opportunities exist throughout the course to collaborate with colleagues across industries and customer segments. However, we would encourage small marketing teams to consider attending as having two or more people from the same department allows for better internal alignment and execution.
Why This Matters
- Only 11.5% of respondents to American Marketing Association's annual CMO survey indicate they are able to prove the impact of social media in quantitative terms.
- Social media spending is projected to comprise over 20% of marketing budgets in the next five years.
- Digital spending is projected to increase 13.2% over the next year, while offline media advertising will decline by 3.2%.
- Firms are falling short on integrating customer social media information other customer data, missing out on critical avenues to enhance customer acquisition and retention.
Program Content & Key Takeaways
Participants will have a solid foundation for understanding their users’ online habits and preferences. Building on this, the course will cover the fundamentals for how to integrate Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Social Media, and Online Advertising in the online marketing mix. Finally, the course will use basic analytics tools for measuring campaign effectiveness and reporting with basic data visualization.
- A framework for research and understanding your users and their online habits offsite and onsite
- Tools and workflows for prototyping websites or apps to guide software developers and interactive designers with appropriate hooks for measuring engagement
- Planning an integrated online campaign for Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Social Media, and Paid campaigns using freely available datasets to make smart decisions
- Executing campaigns with quick sprints and using real-time data to guide iterations to ensure problems are identified early and successful tactics can be further leveraged
- A foundational knowledge of Google Analytics and important web metrics to monitor (Bounce Rate, Cost per Acquisition, Customer Lifetime Value, Performance by Channel)
- How to recruit and hire for building digital marketing teams
- A 90 day and 1 year plan with key performance indicators (KPIs) as they relate to your brand
- How to navigate your career to ensure upward mobility and relevance
Jake Cook, Co-founder at Tadpull and JJCBE’s academic director for Digital Marketing & Analytics program.
Lee Cook, Co-founder at Tadpull
Brent Rosso, MSU JJCBE Assistant Professor of Management
Eric Van Steenburg, MSU JJCBE Assistant Professor of Marketing
Kristy Young, Founder of BlaZe Interactive, LLC.