Montana State University
MSU 2010-2012 Catalog > Evaluation of Transfer Credit

Evaluation of Transfer Credit (freshman and transfer students)

Transfer Credit Evaluation

Requests to have final credentials sent to MSU must be initiated by the applicant. Requests should be made by contacting the registrarís office at the college, university or agency previously attended. Credentials must be sent directly from each institution to the Office of Admissions. Credentials received from the student are considered unofficial working copies and will not be accepted as official documents.

To see how courses may transfer, please visit our Transfer Course Equivalencies website at If a course or institution is not listed it does not necessarily mean the course will not transfer; rather the information is not yet in our database.

  1. An official evaluation of transfer credits will be completed after final transcripts from each institution have been received. Upon completion, a copy of the credit evaluation will be sent to the student and to the studentís academic department.
  2. All college-level courses from colleges or universities in candidacy status or accredited by any of the six regional accrediting agencies at the time the courses were taken will be accepted for transfer. Courses from non-accredited schools will not be accepted for transfer.
  3. The Office of Admissions determines whether or not the transfer work is college-level, the appropriate grading and credit conversions on transfer work and the applicability of transfer credit toward the MSU Core 2.0 requirements. The academic department has the authorization to substitute transfer courses for curriculum requirements. Transfer credit will be given for courses in which passing grades were received.
  4. College level courses which do not have an equivalent at MSU will be accepted as an elective or as an elective with Core credit. The academic department will determine if the transfer electives satisfy specific curriculum requirements.
  5. Freshman/sophomore level courses taken at another college or university will generally not be evaluated as equivalent to junior/senior level courses at MSU. Also, junior/senior level courses will generally not be evaluated as equivalent to freshman/sophomore courses at MSU. Elective credit will be granted in these cases. If a lower-level elective is substituted for an upper-level course by an academic department, that credit may not be used to fulfill the University upper-level credit requirement.
  6. Transfer credit is accepted from vocational technical institutions if the institution is regionally accredited and the courses taken apply toward an associate degree at the institution. MSU does not accept courses that apply solely to a certificate degree.
  7. Tech Prep courses taken through an approved program will be granted college credit for equivalent coursework. The Tech Prep courses must be listed on an official Big Sky Pathways transcript and sent directly to the Office of Admissions
  8. Credit is granted for college-level continuing education, correspondence, and extension courses successfully completed at institutions accredited by one of the six regional accrediting agencies. Official transcripts posting these courses must be sent directly from the institution to the Office of Admissions.
  9. Applicants who have taken Advanced Placement (AP) Exams and/or International Baccalaureate (IB) Exams should request that the official scores be sent directly to the Office of Admissions. AP scores of 3 or higher and IB Exams with scores of 4 or higher (Higher Level only) will be granted college credit with a Pass grade for the equivalent courses. For more information on how AP and IB courses will transfer, refer to the AP Course Equivalencies or the IB Course Equivalencies websites.
  10. College Level Examination Program (CLEP) credit may be awarded by the academic department for successful performance in certain subject exams. Credit awarded for the CLEP Exams will not count toward University Core requirements. Official results must be sent directly from the CLEP testing center to the MSU Testing Service
  11. Military experience will be considered for credit upon receipt of official military transcripts and will be evaluated as elective credit only. Contact the Office of Admissions for information on documentation requirements.
  12. International coursework (except from Canadian institutions where English is the language of instruction) must be evaluated by a foreign credential evaluation company. Contact the Office of International Programs for further information.
  13. Applicants are encouraged to bring personal copies of their transcripts for advising purposes during orientation/registration. Catalogs and course syllabi describing previous coursework may be of assistance to the academic advisor when determining appropriate course placement.

Students who wish to appeal a decision regarding acceptance of transfer credit should address the concern to the Graduation and Admissions Requirements Committee (GARC). Students who wish to appeal the assignment of transfer credit to the University Core requirements should address the concern to the Core Equivalency Review Committee (CERC). Students should contact the Office of Admissions to receive information on the appeal process.

> Back to Table of Contents