Montana State University

Credits For Degree Completion

Correspondence Credits and Extension Courses

No more than thirty semester credits earned by correspondence, extension, or continuing education from accredited colleges or universities may be counted toward graduation. Normally, correspondence, extension, and continuing education courses are not accepted toward degrees in the College of Engineering. However, special circumstances may warrant consideration, and approval of such courses is on a case-by-case basis.

Special Topics and Individual Problems Courses

No more than twelve credits of Special Topics 280 or 480 combined in each rubric will count toward graduation. No more than six credits of 470 Individual Problems in each rubric will count toward graduation. Some departments have established lower limits than these, and students are responsible for checking course listings to ensure that they do not exceed the allowable number of credits in each category.


A candidate for the bachelor's degree must complete the minimum number of credits required for the degree selected. The minimum number of credits must be composed of credits earned for graduation. The required number of credits varies among the four-year curricula leading to the bachelor's degree.

Credits Earned for Graduation

Credits earned for graduation shall mean the total number of credits for which passing grades (A through C-, and P) have been received in courses numbered 100 or above. If students repeat courses in which they have passing grades, the most recent grade will be the effective grade for graduation.

A course taken by an undergraduate or a non-degree student may not later be repeated and applied toward requirements for a graduate degree.

For further credit-use restrictions, see Special Topics and Individual Problems, or refer to the Course Descriptions for maximum allowable credit limits placed on certain courses.

Upper-Division Credit Requirement

A minimum of forty-two credits for the first degree and at least nine additional credits for the second degree must be earned in courses numbered 300 and above (upper-division courses).  As required by the Minimum Competency Requirements, a grade of C- or better is required in all courses that will be counted toward the upper-division credits required in all degrees.

Transfer Student Credit Requirements at MSU-Bozeman

To graduate from Montana State University, transfer students must complete two full-time semesters of fifteen weeks or more in residence at Montana State University and earn not less than thirty MSU credits and a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA, as well as meet the curriculum requirements for a degree.

Deficiencies, I, and F Grades

All deficiencies, make-up grades, transfer work, advanced standing, and challenge examinations must be completed and transcripts filed in the Registrar's Office at least one month before the end of the semester of expected graduation.

> Back to Table of Contents