Acting Department Head
- Employment History
- Key Qualifications
- Current Research Awards, Grants and Contracts
- Selected Research Publications/Presentations
- Societies, Recent Honors, Awards and Professional Registration
- Professional Activities and Service
- Courses Taught Recently
|Ph.d||Civil Engineering (Structures)||Purdue University||1985|
|M.S.C.E||Civil Engineering||Purdue University||1976|
|B.S.C.E.||Civil Engineering||University of New Hampshire||1975|
- Acting Department Head, Civil Engineering Department, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT, July 2012 to present.
- Full/Associate/Assistant Professor, Civil Engineering Department, Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana. August 1989 to present.
- Research Director, Western Transportation Ins. (WTI), Montana State University, Bozeman, MT, May 2006 to May 2012.
- Associate Professor, Civil Engineering Department, West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia, August 1988 to August 1989.
- Senior Research Engineer, New Mexico Engineering Research Institute, Albuquerque, New Mexico, June 1985 to July 1988
- Research Instructor, Purdue University, Department of Civil Engineering, West Lafayette, Indiana, August 1982 to May 1985.
- Research Engineer, New Mexico Engineering Research Institute, Albuquerque, New Mexico, June 1976 to July 1982.
- Kappes, L., Berry, M., and Stephens, J. (2012), “Concrete Filled Steel Tube Piles to Concrete Pile-Cap Connections,” presented at the ASCE/SEI Structures Congress, Spring 2012.
- Roskos, C., Berry, M., and Stephens, J. (2011), “Evaluation of Fly Ash Based Concretes Containing Glass Aggregates for Use in Transportation Applications,” Proceedings, Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, January 2012, Washington, D.C.
- Berry, M., Stephens, J., and Cross, D., (2011), Performance of 100% Fly Ash Concrete with 100% Recycled Glass Aggregate, ACI Materials Journal, July 2011.
- Berry, M., Schroeder, D., Larabee, B., and Stephens, J. (2010), Building Green: Development and Evaluation of an Environmentally Friendly Concrete, American Concrete Institute, Annual Convention, Pittsburgh, PA, October 2010.
- Berry, M., Cross, D., and Stephens, J. (2009), “Changing the Environment: An Alternative Green Concrete Produced without Portland Cement”, Proceedings, World of Coal Ash, Lexington, KY, 2009.
- Cole, M., Ogard, L., and Stephens, J. (2008), “Prospects for Intermodal Containerized Freight Transport in Montana,” Presentation at the 2009 Annual Meeting of the Institute for Operations Research and Management, Washington, D.C., October 2008.
- Stephens, J., Cuelho, E., Johnson, J. and Smolenski, P. (2006), “Uncommon Methods of Analyzing Strain and Temperature Data to Reveal the Presence of Distress in Bridge Decks,” Presented at 2006 NDE Conference on Civil Eng, St.Louis, MO, Aug 15-18, 2006.
- Cross, J., Stephens, J., and Vollmer, J. (2005), “Production of High Strength, 100 % Fly Ash Concrete Using Conventional Redimix Equipment,” Concrete International, American Conc.Ins., Detroit, MI.
- Stephens, J., Carson, J., Hult, D., and Bisom, D. (2005), “Coming into Focus: Montana’s State Truck Activities Reporting System”,invited presentation at the 2005 Annual Meeting of the Transportation Research Board, January, 2005, Washington, D.C.
- Stephens, J., and McKittrick, L. (2005), “Performance of Steel Pipe Pile-to-Concrete Bent Cap Connections Subject to Seismic or High Transverse Loading, Phase II,” Report FHWA/MT-05-001-8144 prepared for the Montana Dept. of Transportation by Montana State University, Bozeman, MT.
- Stephens, J., Carson, J., Hult, D., and Bisom, D. (2003), “Infrastructure Preservation Using WIM Coordinated Weight Enforcement,” Transportation Research Record 1855, Transportation Research Board, National Research Council, Washington, D.C
- Stephens, J., Carson, J., Hult, D., and Bisom, D. (2002), “State Truck Activities Reporting System”, Proceedings, 9th World Congress on Intelligent Transport Systems, Chicago, IL, October 14-17, 2002
- Hewit, J., Stephens, J., Smith, K., and Menuez, N. (1999), “Infrastructure and Economic Impacts of Changes in Truck Weight Regulations in MT, Transportation Research Record 1653, Transportation Research Board, National Research Council, Washington, D.C.
- Stephens, J. Scoles, J. Patterson, S., and Schillings, P., (1997), “Impact of Adopting Canadian Interprovincial and Canamex Limits on Vehicle Size and Weight on Montana’s Highways”, Transportation Research Record 1602, National Research Council, Washington, D.C.
- Registered Professional Engineer - Montana
- Alumni/Chamber of Commerce Award for Excellence, MSU (7 awards)
- Outstanding Instructor – CE/BREN, College of Engineering, MSU (5 awards)
- Outstanding Instructor, Civil Engineering Dept., MSU (3 awards)
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineers, 1975 – present
- MSU Student Chapter Advisor – 10 yrs, State Section Secretary/Treas – 10 yrs
- Proposal Reviewer, NSF CAREER Program, 2010
- Member, National Cooperative Highway Research Program Project Panels (4 panels), 1996 to present
- Member and Paper Reviewer, Transportation Research Board, Truck Size and Weight Committee, 1996 – 2007
|CE 312||Structure I|
|CE 413||Concrete Stuctures|
|CE 415||Masonry Building Systems|
|CE 511||Building Structural Systems (team taught)|
|CE 512||Structural Dynamics|
|CE 513||Behavior of Concrete Structures|
|CE 514||Behavior of Steel Structures|
|CE 519||Prestress Concrete and Bridge Design|
|CE 401||Professional Practices and Ethics|
|CE 457||Senior Project 1 (team taught)|
|CE 458||Senior Project 2 (team taught)|
|EM 215, 253||Strench of Materials|
|EM 518||Plates and Shells|
|CET 412||Structural Elements|