Ellen G. Lauchnor, Ph.D.
Phone: (406) 994-2134
|Ph.D. – Chemical Engineering
Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
|B. S. – Chemical and Biological Engineering
Montana State University, Bozeman, MT
Current Research Interests
- Biofilms in wastewater treatment and biological nitrogen removal
- Impact of emerging contaminants on wastewater treatment processes
- Fundamentals and applications of microbially induced mineral formation
- Reactive transport in biofilm systems
Assistant Professor, Environmental Engineering | August 2014 – present
Civil Engineering Department, Montana State University, Bozeman MT
Instructor, Environmental Engineering | August 2013 – May 2014
Civil Engineering Department, Montana State University, Bozeman MT
Postdoctoral Researcher | April 2011 – August 2014
Center for Biofilm Engineering, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT
Supervisors: Drs. Robin Gerlach and Al Cunningham
- Applications and kinetics of ureolytic biofilms that induce calcium carbonate mineral formation in porous media
- Remediation of strontium contamination using ureolytic biomineralization
- Visualizing structure of porous media during biomineralization using computerized tomography
- Dynamics of struvite kidney stone mineralization due to ureolytic biofilms
NOTE: E.G. Swogger is maiden name, used before August 2009.
- Lauchnor E. G.,L. Semprini. (2013) Inhibition of phenol on the rates of ammonia oxidation by Nitrosomonas europaea grown under batch, continuous fed, and biofilm conditions. Water Research, 47, 4692-4700.
- Lauchnor E. G.,L. N. Schultz, S. Bugni, A. C. Mitchell, A. B. Cunningham, R. Gerlach.(2013) Bacterially induced calcium carbonate precipitation and strontium co-precipitation in a porous media flow system. Environmental Science and Technology, 47 (3), 1557-1564.
- Lauchnor E. G., T. Radniecki, and L. Semprini. (2011)Inhibition and gene expression of Nitrosomonas europaea biofilms exposed to phenol and toluene. Biotechnology and Bioengineering,108, 750–757.
- Mitchell, A. C., S. L. Parks, A. Phillips, E. G. Lauchnor, A. B. Cunningham, R. Gerlach. Kinetics of calcite precipitation by ureolytic bacteria under aerobic and anaerobic conditions. (Submitted March, 2014) Ecological Engineering.
- Phillips A. J., R. Gerlach, E. G. Lauchnor, A. C. Mitchell, A. B. Cunningham, and L. Spangler. (2013)Engineering applications of ureolytic biomineralization: a review. Biofouling, 29 (6), 715-733.
- Phillips A. J., E. G. Lauchnor, J. Eldring, R. Esposito, A. C. Mitchell, R. Gerlach, A. B. Cunningham, and L. H. Spangler.(2013) Potential CO2 leakage reduction through biofilm-induced calcium carbonate precipitation. Environmental Science and Technology, 47 (1), 142-149.
- Cunningham A. B., E. G. Lauchnor, J. Eldring, R. Esposito, A. C. Mitchell, R. Gerlach, A. J. Phillips, A. Ebigbo, and L. H. Spangler. (2013)Abandoned Well CO2 Leakage Mitigation Using Biologically Induced Mineralization: Current Progress and Future Directions. Greenhouse Gases: Science and Technology, 3,40-49.
- James G., E. G. Swogger, R. Wolcott, E.D. Pulcini, P. Secor, J. Sestrich, J.W. Costerton, P.S. Stewart. (2008).Biofilms in Chronic Wounds. Wound Repair and Regeneration, 16,37-44.
- Lauchnor, E. G., L. Semprini, B. D. Wood. Simulations of dissolved oxygen and pH profiles in N. europaea biofilms using a 2-D reactive transport model. Submitted to Biotechnology and Bioengineering.
- Hommel, J., E. G. Lauchnor, A. Phillips, R. Gerlach, A. B. Cunningham, R. Helmig, A. Ebigbo, H. Class. A revised model for microbially induced calcite precipitation – improvements and new insights based on recent experiments. Submitted to Water Resources Research.
- Keesano, M., R. D. Gardner; K. Moll; E. Lauchnor; R. Gerlach; B. M. Peyton; R. C. Sims. Dissolved inorganic carbon enhanced growth, nutrient uptake, and lipid accumulation in wastewater grown microalgal biofilms. Submitted to Bioresource Technology.
Publications in preparation
- Lauchnor, E. G., D. Topp, A. E. Parker, R. Gerlach. Whole cell kinetics of ureolysis by Sporosarcina pasteurii. In preparation for Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology
- Bray, J. M., E. G. Lauchnor, J. D. Seymour, R. Gerlach, G. D. Redden, Y. Fujita, S. L. Codd. Mineral precipitation impact of pore scale dynamics and porous media structure determined by µ-CT and MRI. In preparation for Environmental Science and Technology.
- Radniecki, T. S., and E. G. Lauchnor. “Investigating Nitrosomonas europaea stress biomarkers in batch, continuous culture and biofilm reactors” In: Martin G. Klotz and Lisa Y. Stein, editors: Methods in Enzymology, Vol. 496, Burlington: Academic Press, 2011, pp. 217-246.
- James G., E. G. Swogger, and E. deLancey-Pulcini. “Microbial Ecology of Human Skin and Wounds” In: The Role of Biofilms in Device-Related Infections. Shirtliff M, Leid JG, editors. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. 2009, pp 1-14.
- Lauchnor, E. G., L. Schultz, A. C. Mitchell, R. Gerlach. “Microbially induced CaCO3 mineralization and strontium co-precipitation in porous media reactors” 4th International Conference on Porous Media and its Applications in Science, Engineering and Industry, Potsdam, Germany, June 17–22, 2012.
- Swogger, E. G., L. Semprini. “Nitrosomonas europaea biofilms exposed to phenol and toluene” Subsurface Biosphere Initiative Conference, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, July 23-24, 2009.
- Swogger E. G. “Evaluation of Wound Biofilms” Regional AIChE Conference, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, April 2005.
- Lauchnor, E. G., “Inhibition of ammonia oxidizing bacteria in biofilms” Molecular Biosciences Program Seminar series, Montana State University, September 10, 2014.
- Lauchnor, E. G. “Biofilms of the Ammonia Oxidizing Bacterium Nitrosomonas europaea” College of Engineering Graduate Seminar, Oregon State University, May 14, 2010.
- Swogger, E. G., L. Semprini. “Nitrosomonas europaea biofilms exposed to phenol and toluene” Environmental Engineering Graduate Seminar, Oregon State University, April 7, 2009.
- Lauchnor E. G., L. Schultz, A. Mitchell, D. Topp, A. B. Cunningham, R. Gerlach. “Strontium co-precipitation during biomineralization of calcite in porous media using differing treatment strategies” American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting. San Francisco, Dec. 9-13, 2013.
- Lauchnor E. G., A. J. Phillips, A. B. Cunningham, R. Gerlach. “Laboratory-scale column studies to evaluate ureolytically driven CaCO3 mineralization” American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting. San Francisco, Dec. 3-7, 2012.
- Lauchnor E. G., T. Radniecki, and L. Semprini. “Global gene expression comparisons between Nitrosomonas europaea biofilms and planktonic cells” American Society for Microbiology 110th General Meeting. San Diego, CA, May, 2010.
- Swogger E. G., T. Radniecki, and L. Semprini. “Inhibition and cometabolism of toluene and phenol in Nitrosomonas europaea biofilms” Processes in Biofilms 2009: From Fundamentals to Applications. University of California, Davis, CA, September 13-16, 2009.
- Swogger, E. G., Radniecki, T.S. and L. Semprini, “Biofilms of Nitrosomonas europaea exposed to phenol and toluene” 1st International Conference on Nitrification, Louisville, Kentucky, July 6-10, 2009.
- Swogger E. G., T. Radniecki, and L. Semprini. “Growth and Transcriptional Response of Nitrosomonas europaea Biofilms Exposed to Phenol” American Society for Microbiology 108th General Meeting. Boston, MA, June 1-5, 2008.
- Swogger E. G., T. Radniecki, and L. Semprini. “Transcriptional and Physiological Response of Nitrosomonas europaea Biofilms Exposed to Phenol” 7th International Symposium for Subsurface Microbiology, Shizuoka, Japan, November 16-21, 2008.
Montana State University
- EENV 340: Principles of Enviromental Engineering | 2013-2014
- EBIO 439: Downstream Processing | Spring 2013
- American Geophysical Union
- American Chemical Society
- Tau Beta Pi – Engineering Honor Society inducted 2005 (as Ellen Swogger)