Montana State University

Jake Jabs College of Business & Entrepreneurship (JJCBE)
Advising FAQ's and Information

Academic Information
Other Resources


The following information can be found at AACSB's Web site:

Q. Why is AACSB Accreditation Important to Students and Employers?

Schools achieving AACSB accreditation meet the highest standards worldwide demonstrating their on-going commitment to quality through continuous improvement. Accredited schools can attract more funding, higher caliber faculty, and better students.

AACSB Accreditation Requires Business Schools to:

  • Manage resources to achieve a vibrant and relevant mission
  • Provide high-caliber teaching of current curricula by highly qualified faculty
  • Cultivate meaningful interaction between students and faculty
  • Produce graduates who have achieved specified learning goals
  • Advance business and management knowledge through faculty scholarship

top of page


Q: The course I want is full. I'd like to try to get into it. What do I do?

First, keep checking the course schedule on the Web. Courses open and close daily. Also, contact the proper professor and ask to be put on a waiting list. If you haven’t been able to add the course before the first day of class, ATTEND the first day with an ADD/DROP form (available at the Registrar's Office or in the JJCBE Office of Student Services in 338 Reid). Complete the necessary portion and meet with the instructor asking for permission to be admitted. After the instructor signs the form, meet with your advisor for his/her signature. Finally, take the form to the Registrar's Office for processing. You will not be added until the form is processed at the Registrar's Office.

Q: I'm trying to register for an upper division (300-400 level) option course (ACTG, BFIN, BMGT, BMIS, BMKT) and get a 'major restriction' error. What does this mean? What do I do?

Upper division required option courses are reserved for fully admitted Business students. Pre-business and/or students outside the JJCBE may not register on-line for these courses. E-mail the JJCBE Office of Student Services staff at with your name, last four digits of your GID, and the title and CRN# of the course(s) in which you wish to enroll. They will advise you concerning your eligibility and next steps, e.g., applying for admission to the JJCBE or obtaining an add form (for provisionally admitted students). They will respond generally within 1-2 business days.

Q: What does "consent of the instructor" mean and how do I enroll in these restricted classes?

"Consent of the instructor" designation means the course(s) requires departmental permission for enrollment. If the course is not in the JJCBE, contact the specific department. If the course is a business course, enrollment involves the following: 

  • First priority enrollment: At the beginning of the advising/registration period each semester (mid-October and/or late March), students who are eligible for enrollment in these courses receive an e-mail at their MSU preferred student e-mail address, which contains instructions and codes to access our on-line seat reservation system. Students reserve seats in these classes; they are subsequently registered in the course(s) by Office of Student Services staff—usually within 1-2 business days of the receipt of the reservation.
  • Second priority enrollment: Other students wishing to request enrollment in these courses should e-mail the Office of Student Services staff at with your name, last four digits of your GID, and the title and CRN# of the course(s) in which you wish to enroll. If you are eligible for enrollment and there is space available, you will be registered for the course(s).  

NOTE:  Make sure you have no "holds" on your account. Only students without holds will receive seat reservation information and/or be eligible for enrollment. 

Currently, the following courses are "restricted entry":  BMGT 366, BMGT 466, BMGT 463, and BGEN 499,

Q: When is the last day to add a class?

Always check the times and procedures link at the top of the on-line class schedule. This link provides all the deadlines for the specific term. Fall and Spring semesters allow students to add with approval of the instructor and advisor up to the end of the 10th day of University instruction of the semester. After the 10th class day, add forms must have the approval (signature) of Dr. Susan Dana, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs (Reid 457).

Q: I won't be on campus until a later date. Can my friend do the "Add" for me?

No. Only the students themselves can officially process an "Add/Drop".

Q: How do I drop a class?

You can drop classes from your schedule on-line up to the 10th day of class, or you can complete an "Add/Drop" form. After the 10th class day, you must pick up an "Add/Drop" form. Complete the necessary portion, meet with the instructor of the class you are dropping for a signature, and have your advisor sign it. Finally, take the form to the Registrar's Office for processing. You will not be dropped from the course(s) until the form is processed at the Registrar's Office.

You may drop a class during the last two weeks of the semester only for extraordinary reasons (e.g. death, illness). Pick up the relevant form from the Bracken Center in Reid 457.

Q: I want to drop all my classes, what do I do?

In order to drop all your courses you must process a university withdrawal. This is done at the Dean of Students' Office located on the 1st floor of the Student Union Building (SUB).

Q: If I drop, how will it affect my GPA?

You will receive a "W" as a grade.  A “W” grade does not affect a student’s grade point average; however, it does affect financial aid requirements for satisfactory progress. Be sure to contact the financial aid office on the 1st floor of the SUB if you have questions.
Q: What do I do to return to school?

Students returning to school after not being enrolled for one or more semesters must submit an “Intent to Register” form to the Registrar's Office. Once the form is processed, you will receive your registration (advisor) codes in the mail. Forms may be downloaded from the following site:

top of page

Alternate Pin/Personal Data Forms (PDFs)

Q: What is an Alternate Pin? When do I get this?

A new Alternate Pin/Registration Pin number is generated each term and is printed on your Personal Data Form (PDF). Continuing students must pick up this form in the Office of Student Services in 338 Reid during the registration period each term. This number is NOT associated with your advisor. Your student ID is required when you pick up your PDF. The number will not be released over the telephone. Do not lose this number. You will be required to use this number during registration and when dropping courses on-line. At the beginning of the advising and registration period each term (mid-October and late-March), the Office of Student Services sends an e-mail to students' MSU prefereed student e-mail addresses concerning advising and registration procedures and deadlines.

Q: I was not on campus for a semester (or more). How do I get my PDF?

Submit an "Intent to Register" form to the Registrar’s Office. After the form is processed, you will receive your Alternate Pin in the mail. Forms are available at

Q: Last semester I was in a different department and changed to the JJCBE. Where do I get my PDF?

Check with your old department first. If your PDF is not there, then check with the JJCBE’s Office of Student Services in Reid 338. If the Office of Student Services does not have it, check with the Registrar's Office.

top of page

Business Minors: ACTG, BADM, ESBM, FINM, and IB

Q. What are the Business Minors available to students?

The JJCBE offers four non-teaching minors to the JJCBE undergraduate students: Accounting (ACTG), Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management (ESBM), Finance (FINM), and International Business (IB). Non-business students may complete a Business Administration minor (BADM) in addition to the five minors mentioned above.

Q. Can I get more than one minor?


Q. Can I complete the minor requirements in a later catalog than my degree requirements?


Q. What are the classes I need to work toward a business minor?

The courses are listed under the specified options on the JJCBE Website (,on the pamphlet available in the JJCBE Office of Student Services, and in the MSU College Catalog.

International Business Minor Worksheet

Q. I am a business major. Can I sign up for the Business Administration Minor?

No. The Business Administration Minor is open to all non-business students.

Q. I am a Business Major with an Accounting option. Can I sign up for the Accounting Minor?

No. The Accounting Minor is open to all students with the exception of students pursuing a Business Degree with an Accounting option.

Q. I am a Business Major with a Finance option. Can I sign up for the Finance Minor?

No. The Finance Minor is open to all students with the exception of students pursuing a Business Degree with a Finance option.

Q. What do I do to apply for a minor?

ONE YEAR prior to graduation, the student submits a draft Application for a Non-teaching Minor to the Office of Student Services in Reid 338. An official application for the minor will be generated and students will be contacted via e-mail to sign the application. The signed original will be forwarded to the Registrar's Office. Copies will be given to you and forwarded to your "home" department. The application is due to the Registrar’s Office at the same time a student’s official Application for Baccalaureate Degree.

Q. I started a minor but won't have time to finish it before I graduate. What can I do?

The student has two options. You can opt not to complete the minor, OR you may decide to postpone graduation until the minor requirements have been fulfilled. You may not complete a post-baccalaureate minor.

top of page

Business Pre-Core, Business Core, and Option Courses

Q. What is the "Business Pre-Core"?

The Business Pre-Core courses are the preparatory courses in accounting, economics, math, statistics, computer literacy, and communications which are required for Formal Admission to the JJCBE. The courses are listed on the Option Worksheets located in the JJCBE Office of Student Services, on the JJCBE Website (, and in the MSU College Catalog.

Q. What is the "Business Core" or "Common Body of Business Knowledge" (CBK) courses?

The Business Core or CBK consists of the common body of knowledge courses which are required of all business majors. These courses include: BMGT 335, BGEN 302, BMIS 311, BMGT 322, BMKT 325, BFIN 322, BGEN 361, and BGEN 499. PREREQUISITE NOTE: All of the following courses: BMGT 335, BGEN 302, BMIS 311, BMGT 322, BMKT 325, BFIN 322, and BGEN 361 must be completed with a 'C' or better prior to enrollment in BGEN 499. BUS core/CBK courses may not be taken concurrently with BGEN 499—no exceptions are made.

Q. What are the upper-division, required Option Courses?

The upper-division required Option courses are those specific courses required by each of our four options: Accounting, Finance, Management, and Marketing. Most of these are taught at the upper division (300-400) level. These courses are reserved for fully admitted business students.

top of page

Pre-Business and Business

Q: What is the difference between pre-business and business?

All students in the JJCBE who have not yet been formally admitted (see Formal Admission to JJCBE section) are coded as pre-business students. As a pre-business student, you are eligible to enroll in non-business courses, all pre-core courses, and the following BUS/Common Body of Business Knowledge (CBK) courses: BMGT 335, BGEN 302, BMIS 311, BMGT 322, BMKT 325, BFIN 322, and BGEN 361. It is your responsibility to check if you have the appropriate prerequisites for these courses.

Once you are formally admitted to the JJCBE you are re-coded as a business student. Business students are eligible to enroll online in all non-business courses, all BUS/Common Body of Knowledge (CBK) courses: BMGT 335, BGEN 302, BMIS 311, BMGT 322, BMKT 325, BFIN 322, BGEN 361, and most 300-400 level option courses (ACTG, BFIN, BMGT, BMIS and BMKT).

If you are unsure which classes you are eligible to register for click HERE for the detailed Course Registration Matrix.

top of page

Changing Options/Majors

Q: How do I change my major?

You must complete a Change of Curriculum card. Cards are available from the Registrar's Office, the College (Department) from which you are leaving, and/or the College (Department) to which you are transferring. You will need to be signed out of your former department and signed into your new department. You will need to submit the card to the Registrar's Office for final, official processing

Q: I want to stay in the JJCBE but want to change my option. How do I do that?

Stop by the Office of Student Services in Reid 338. They will assist you with this change and assign you an advisor in your new option.

top of page

Computers and Technology

Q: What equipment is available in classrooms in Reid Hall?

All Reid classrooms have smart podiums with computers, VCR's/DVD's and document cameras in them. A ceiling projector is mounted in most of the classrooms.

Q. Are there rooms available to practice presentations?

Students may reserve rooms in the Bracken Center during regular business hours. Check for availability in the Bracken Center main office, Reid 457.

Q. What if the Bracken rooms are full or I need a room on the weekends or after hours?

Check with your professor. He or she can arrange for room reservations.

top of page


Q: Can I make personal copies in the JJCBE or in Reid Hall?

There are no copiers in the JJCBE available to students unless specifically requested by an instructor. Copies can be made in the library and in the SUB for a reasonable fee.

top of page

Faculty Advisors

Q: Why do I need an advisor?

Academic planning and degree completion is the student's responsibility. Your faculty advisor can assist you with your academic and career planning and can serve as a valuable mentor. While you are not required to meet with your advisor, you are encouraged to keep your advisor apprised of your academic/career plans. Your advisor must sign your Formal Admission Application and Pre-Graduation Worksheet

Q: How do I find out who my advisor is?

Every JJCBE student will be assigned an advisor who is a faculty member in the College. You will be given a card with your advisor's office number, office telephone #, and e-mail address. The faculty members are responsible for posting their office hours on their office doors. If you need to be reminded who your assigned advisor is, please contact the Office of Student Services in the JJCBE, Reid 338.

Q: When do I meet with my advisor and how can I find my advisor?

You may meet with your advisor during posted office hours. Scheduling appointments and brief questions may also be directed to his/her office telephone or e-mail address.

Q. May I change my advisor?

Yes, stop by the Office of Student Services in 338 Reid Hall. A staff member will assist you in making this change.

top of page

Formal Admission to the JJCBE

Q: What is Formal Admission?

In order to maintain accreditation standards of academic excellence and to promote success in upper division (300-400 level) business courses, the JJCBE requires all business students to meet certain performance standards before they are formally admitted to the upper division. These standards are:

  • Junior Standing (60 semester credits) AND
  • Completion of the Business Pre-Core WITH C- or better in all Pre-Core courses AND
  • Score of 3 on the ACT WorkKeys Exam (2006-2008 (and later) catalog) AND
  • 3.00 or higher cumulative GPA for Priority Admission

Q: When do I apply for Formal Admission?

The deadlines for admission to the JJCBE are as follows:  Summer/Fall term: 01 May and Spring term: 01 December.

Q: What do I do to be "Formally Admitted"?

Complete the Formal Admission Application Form, obtain your advisor's signature and submit it by the deadline(s) listed above. Forms are processed after grades are posted each term (generally the end of the week after finals). Students who are admitted to the JJCBE are re-coded from pre-business to business and are then eligible to enroll on-line in upper-division required (300-400) level option courses (ACTG, BFIN, BMGT, BMKT). Students are notified concerning your admission status at your MSU student e-mail address.

Formal Admission Application Form

Q:  If I need to take the WorkKeys Exam, how do I do that?

The ACT WorkKeys exam is administered in BMGT 205. Contact Mike Shaw,, to arrange to take the exam with BMGT 205 students.

Q. Can I take the exam online or at another institution if I am unable to make the exam date?


Q. What does Priority Admission Mean?

Starting in the 2006-2008 catalog, students who meet all the performance standards for admission to the JJCBE and have a 3.00 cumulative GPA will be eligible for priority admission to the JJCBE.  Students who have met all the performance standards for admission to the JJCBE but have grade point averages of less than 3.00 will be considered for admission on a space available basis. Applications from students with GPAs less than 2.50 will not be considered.

Q: What is Provisional Formal Admission?

If there are extenuating circumstances which have prevented you from meeting all of the performance standards for Formal Admission, you may request (in writing) provisional admission. You should address the memo to Brenda Truman, Office of Student Services director. On a case by case basis, it will be determined whether provisional formal admission is appropriate and if space is available in upper division courses. You will be notified at your MSU student e-mail address as to the length and condition(s) of the provisional admission. 

Students who are provisionally admitted continue to be coded as pre-business students. When the conditions of the provisional admission are met, the student will be re-coded in business.

Q. What happens if I don't meet my provisions?

Provisional Admission is granted one time for one term. If your admission expires, you may reapply when all performance standards are met.

Q: When will I know about my Formal Admission status?

The JJCBE Office of Student Services will process your application after grades are posted at the end of the term in which you submitted the application—typically the end of the week following final exam week.

Q: How will I find out about my Formal Admission status?

Students will be notified at their MSU student e-mail addresses. It is the student's responsibility to check his/her e-mail account frequently.

Q: What if I am not admitted?

If you are not admitted into the JJCBE, please meet with your advisor to discuss strategies for coming into compliance with the performance standards. Until you are admitted, you are eligible in non-business courses, all pre-core courses, and the following BUS/ Common Body of Business Knowledge (CBK) courses: BMGT 335, BGEN 302, BMIS 311, BMGT 322, BMKT 325, BFIN 322, and BGEN 361. It is the student's responsibility to check if he/she has the appropriate pre-requisites for these courses.

top of page


Option Worksheets Other Forms


NEW! Accounting Internship Application Materials:

top of page


Q. How can I find out what my final grades are for the semester?

Access your transcript on MyInfo. Please note that while grades are posted throughout finals week, your final GPA is not calculated until typically the middle of the week following finals week. Academic standing is not posted until this final GPA calculation is complete. It is the student's responsibility to check your grades each term and to be informed about your academic standing, e.g. good standing, probation, suspend warning, and/or suspended.

Q. What should I do if I am unable to complete a course due to a medical problem or other extenuating circumstances?

An "I" (Incomplete) grade may be given in these situations. If you have satisfactorily completed at least three-quarters of the course requirements, you may be eligible for an incomplete, "I" grade. Discuss this with your instructor. Your instructor may request the Dean of Students (SUB 12) contact you to certify that you are unable to fulfill your commitments due to illness, death, family emergencies, or military orders. It is your responsibility to complete all the remaining course requirements by the date agreed upon with the instructor. Incomplete grades which are not made-up may lapse to an "F" grade.

Q. I received an "I" grade in a class with a completion deadline that I am unable to meet. Do I automatically receive an "F" for the course?

See your instructor to discuss why you cannot meet the deadline. Your instructor might be able to issue an "I" grade extension allowing you more time to complete the work.

Q. How do I receive my grade once I make up an "I" grade?

When all work has been completed and graded, your instructor will process a grade change form. The Registrar will post your grade within a few days after receiving the form.

Q. I do not think the grade I received in a course is correct. How should I handle this?

Visit with your instructor to discuss how you were graded. If the instructor finds that a clerical error was made in grading your work, a grade change form can be processed. Grade appeal procedures are described at

top of page


Q: When do I apply for graduation?

Pre-Graduation Applications are available in the JJCBE Office of Student Services in Reid 338. You should submit a pre-graduation worksheet (PGW) ONE YEAR prior to the graduating semester. Applications for summer/spring terms are due 01 May the YEAR before graduation; applications for fall term are due 01 December the YEAR before graduation.

Q: What do I do with the pre-graduation worksheet (PGW)?

Make an appointment with your advisor to discuss your option elective choices. Your advisor must sign the form. You then submit your completed form to the JJCBE Office of Student Services by the deadline above. The courses approved on the PGW are included as degree requirements on your official Application for Baccalaureate Degree. Therefore, your failure to take any course listed on your worksheet will result in a delay in your graduation. Incomplete forms or forms not signed will not be processed.

Pre-Graduation Worksheet (PGW)

 Q: I want to change a class on my pre-graduation worksheet (PGW). Can I do that?

Contact the Office of Student Services concerning changes. Some standard changes can be handled directly by our student services staff; other changes must be discussed and approved by your advisor. The Office of Student Services will advise students concerning the appropriate course of action. Delays in following through with changes may result in significant delays in graduation.

Q: What happens after I file the graduation application?

The Office of Student Services director will certify your degree requirements, and you will be notified at your MSU student e-mail address when your official Application for Baccalaureate Degree is ready for your signature. This is a very important document that requires your full attention. Until this document is on file at the Registrar's Office, you are not a degree candidate.

Q: What about university requirements such as the university core?

Once the Application of Baccalaureate Degree is filed, the Registrar's Office will certify all university requirements including the university core.

Q. How do I know if all my requirements are in order?

No news is good news. The Registrar's Office sends e-mails (MSU student preferered e-mail address) to all students who have some kind of graduation deficiency, e.g., not registered for required courses, university core requirements unmet, and/or total credits lacking. These e-mails require your full and immediate attention. If you receive a "deficiency" e-mail, call the Office of Student Services to schedule an appointment with the director, Brenda Truman. Come to the meeting prepared to discuss how you plan to correct the deficiency. It is the student's responsibility to meet all degree requirements.

Q: When do I find out about the graduation ceremony?

If you have submitted an Application for Baccalaureate Degree, the Registrar's Office will send you information regarding general commencement in March/April of the graduation year. General commencement information includes: time, location, cap and gown availability, and invitations. The JJCBE commencement information is available online here, and will be e-mailed (MSU student preferred e-mail address) to students in April.

Q: Do I get my diploma at the ceremony?

No. Your diploma will be mailed to the permanent mailing address that you provided in MyInfo. You are responsible for providing the Registrar's Office (through MyInfo) with a correct postal address.

Q: I am not going to graduate the semester that I had stated on my form. Whom do I tell?

Inform the JJCBE Office of Student Services in Reid 338 as soon as possible if you intend to change your graduation term.

top of page

Independent Study/Individual Problems

Q: What is an Independent Study/Individual Problems course?

An independent study is a course designed to allow a student to pursue directed study and/or research on an individual basis, under supervision of an instructor.

Q: When is an Independent Study/Individual Problems course appropriate?

An independent study is most appropriate when a student wishes to pursue directed study and/or research on an individual basis not otherwise available in a regularly scheduled course, under supervision of an instructor. It is not intended to substitute for another course.

Q: How many credits of Independent Study/Individual Problems can count towards graduation?

MSU policy states that no more than six credits of independent study in each rubric (e.g. ACTG, BFIN, BMIS, BGEN, BMGT, and BMKT) will count toward graduation.

A credit is the unit used in computing the amount of work required for graduation. One credit is equivalent to three hours of work each week for one semester. One lecture hour assumes two hours of work outside of class. Therefore, you should expect to devote nine hours a week to earn three credits.

Q:  Can an Independent Study/Individual Problems course fulfill my JJCBE degree requirements?

Yes, with advisor approval an Independent Study/Individual Problems course may be applied towards an upper-division elective (in all options) or towards an advisor approved elective (management and marketing only).

An independent study may not substitute for any course in the JJCBE.

Q: How do I register for an Independent Study/Individual Problems?

First, submit a written proposal to the sponsoring instructor describing the exact activities to be engaged in for the credits. If approved, the proposal, along with a statement from the instructor explaining the assessment and grading methods, must be attached to a "Request for Individual Problems" form available in the Office of Student Services, Reid 338, or on the Registrar’s homepage under the student forms link:

The form must be signed by the sponsoring instructor and by Interim Associate Dean for Administration and Finance, Dr. Harry Benham, prior to submitting it to the Office of the Registrar.

Q:  Can an Independent Study/Individual Problems course apply towards my minor degree requirements?

Students pursuing an International Business minor may apply up to three credits of independent study, either taken within the JJCBE or from an another department, with the approval of their International Business minor advisor.

Students pursuing an Accounting, Business Administration, Entrepreneurship & Small Business Management, or Management Information Technology minor may not apply an independent study towards minor degree requirements.

top of page

Probation and Suspension

Q: What is the difference between probation and suspension?

University academic performance standards are located on the Web, .

Q: What does suspension mean?

When a student does not meet the academic performance standards set by the faculty at MSU, he or she may be suspended from the university. Students who are suspended for the first time, may not enroll at MSU for one academic term (fall/spring). Students suspended for the second time may not enroll at MSU for one academic year. Students suspended more than twice may only re-enroll at MSU if they submit a written appeal to the University Scholastic Appeals Board.

Q: When and how was I notified?

It is your responsibility to review your on-line transcript at the end of each term to determine your academic standing. Students will not receive written notification of probation or suspend warning. You will receive written notification of suspension; the letter is sent to the permanent address you have provided in MyInfo. It is your responsibility to keep your addresses updated on MyInfo.

Q: Can I appeal the suspension decision?

You may appeal the suspension decision if you believe there were extraordinary circumstances beyond your control of which the University Scholastic Appeals Board (USAB) was unaware. You must complete the Scholastic Appeal Form and submit all the required documentation listed on the back of the appeal form. The written appeal is reviewed by the USAB. Once the Board has made a decision, the finding will be sent to you and a copy will be put in your academic file. The decision of the USAB is final.

Q: When do I get reinstated?

Students suspended for the first time are automatically reinstated after one semester (excluding summer term) has elapsed. After a second suspension, one academic year must elapse before the student will be reinstated. Students returning to school after one or more semesters must submit an "Intent to Register" form to the Registrar's Office and meet with the Assistant Director of Student Services if a "must see" form is issued by the Registrar's Office.

top of page


Q: How do I apply for a JJCBE Scholarship?

Applications for JJCBE scholarships are accepted on-line each fall semester beginning the first working day of November. Please click here to access the JJJCBE Scholarships Webpage.

Q: When is the scholarship application deadline?

The application deadline is the last working day of November.

Q: When will I hear back about my application?

You will be notified in late January regarding your scholarship application.

Q: How do I find out what scholarship, and the dollar amount, I received?

Award winners are required to attend the scholarship banquet during which they will receive a letter providing the description and the amount of your scholarship award.

Q: How is my scholarship disbursed?

Your scholarship award will be posted by the financial aid office to your student fee account.

Q: Are entering Freshmen and transfer students eligible for JJCBE scholarships?

Entering freshmen and transfer students are not eligible for JJCBE scholarships. One exception to this policy is the limited number of BPA/DECA scholarships that are awarded to entering Freshmen. Entering Freshmen and transfer students are automatically given consideration for MSU scholarships as described at:

Q: What are the requirements to be eligible for a JJCBE scholarship?

All current MSU JJCBE students who will be full-time MSU JJCBE students in the following academic year are eligible for JJCBE scholarships. Each scholarship includes unique eligibility criteria specified by the donor, but all scholarships include academic performance as measured by MSU GPA as one of the primary selection criteria.

top of page

Make-up Exams

Q: How do I schedule a make-up exam?

You must speak to your instructor to make arrangements to take the exam. The instructor will then set up an appointment with the Faculty Services Office and inform you of the date and time. Please make every effort to arrive on time on the date scheduled. If a conflict arises and you cannot make the time and/or date scheduled, you must contact your instructor and make new arrangements. No drop-in testing services are available.

Testing Services are also available in Reid 243 for a $5 fee.

top of page

Master of Professional Accountancy Program

Q: What Masters programs do you offer?

The JJCBE offers only one master's program leading to a Master of Professional Accountancy (MPAc). Candidates for the degree will build on the broad general and business education obtained at the undergraduate level to gain more advanced competencies in the practice and theory of financial accounting, auditing, taxation, law, and other business and professional areas. Graduates of this program will meet the educational requirement recommended by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA). For more information, go to

Q: How do I apply?

Applications are available in the Graduate Office in Montana Hall and online at

Q: Where do I take the GRE or the GMAT?

Testing Services can arrange an appointment for you to take either the GRE or the GMAT on campus. Their office is located in 243 Reid Hall. 

Q: Can I apply on-line?

Yes. Visit the Division of Graduate Education's Webpage at and click on APPLY NOW.

Payment can also be done on-line.

Q. What background courses, accounting courses and electives are required for the MPAc?

A worksheet with the required course information is available here.

top of page

Course Substitutions

Q: Can I take a course at a different institution and have it count toward my JJCBE degree requirements?

First access the MSU transfer equivalency guide at This guide includes all the courses from a particular institution which have been transferred to MSU (not necessarily the whole catalog) and the MSU equivalency. If the course you wish to take is directly equivalent to the MSU course, no further action is required. If the course has been evaluated as an elective (ELEC), you should complete in its entirety a course substitution request form (you may also pick up this form in 338 Reid Hall). Designated faculty will review the information contained in the submitted form and determine whether to accept the course as a substitute for a course required by the JJCBE. The Office of Student Services staff will notify you at your MSU student preferred e-mail address concerning the decision.

For the Course Substitution Request Form, click here.

top of page

Non-Business/Non-Economics Courses

Q.  The JJCBE requires that students take at least 54 credits of non-business/non-economics courses. What courses count as non-business/non-economics courses for purposes of this requirement?

A: The following courses may be counted as non-business/non-economics courses:

  • ECNS 101, 202, and 204
  • BMGT 240IS
  • Any course that does not contain the rubric ECNS, AGEC, BGEN, BMIS, ACTG, BFIN, BMGT, or BMKT

top of page

MyInfo and MSU Student E-mail Addresses

Q: What information is available on MyInfo?

MyInfo is your key resource for managing your academic career. In the general area, you can access the MSU catalog to check course pre-requisites and degree requirements, access the electronic schedule of classes, and check transfer equivalencies if you are considering taking a course at another institution. In the secure area, you can drop and add classes, access your transcript, check to see what holds may be on your records, update your mailing addresses and access your bill. Also available through MyInfo, DegreeWorks is a new degree audit program designed to complement your academic planning by visually laying out all degree requirements to assist you in tracking your progress towards degree completion. It is our expectation that you will make use of these resources in your academic planning and progress.

Q: What is my MSU e-mail address?

Your official MSU student e-mail address is issued to you and consists of your If you have a common name, a number may also be included: You may choose to use this e-mail address as your primary e-mail address or you may choose to use a personal e-mail address. Regardless of which you choose it your responsibility to update your contact information, specifically your preferred e-mail address in MyInfo. MSU/JJCBE sends all correspondence to you at your personal preferred e-mail address as listed in MyInfo. Examples of correspondence include, but are not limited to, the following: all course assignments sent to listservs, all notifications about registration, notification of the JJCBE on-line scholarship application, notification of formal admission status, and notification of graduation status and/or deficiencies. It is the student's responsibility to check this e-mail regularly and to update it in MyInfo as necessary .

top of page

Returning to the JJCBE

Q: How do I return to the JJCBE to finish my business degree?

If you have attended the JJCBE, but did not complete your degree requirements follow the steps below:

  1. Complete an Intent to Register form.
  2. Stop by or contact the JJCBE Office of Student Services (Reid Hall Room 338).
    1. Submit a copy of your Intent to Register form to the Office of Student Services ((you submit the original to the Registrar’s Office).
    2. We will assign you an academic advisor if you are changing options and/or your previous academic advisor is no longer available. Otherwise, your advisor will be the same person you were assigned when you previously attended. Our Student Services office can let you know who your advisor was.
  3. Review your option worksheet. If you have been out of school for a year or more you will come in under the current course catalog. Some degree requirements may have changed since you last attended MSU.
    1. We strongly encourage you to compare your academic transcript to your new option worksheet to determine which courses you have completed and which you still have remaining.
    2. If you had an Official Application for Baccalaureate Degree on file with the Office of the Registrar, you may need to submit a new application depending on how long it has been since you attended. Please contact the JJCBE Office of Student Services. They will be able to advise you in this matter and let you know what steps will be required to activate the degree application process.

Q: How do I return to the JJCBE for an additional option/concentration?

If you have already completed your business degree at the MSU JJCBE and would like to return for an additional option/concentration complete the following steps:

  1. Complete an Intent to Register form.
  2. Stop by or contact the JJCBE Office of Student Services (Reid Hall Room 338).
    1. Submit a copy of your Intent to Register form to the Office of Student Services (you submit the original to the Registrar’s Office).
    2. We will assign you an academic advisor in your new option.
  3. Review the additional concentration option worksheet for your new option/concentration. You are required to complete only the option (ACTG, BFIN, BMKT, BMGT) requirements for your new option/concentration. If you are unsure which courses will be required, please contact our Office of Student Services.

top of page

WorkKeys Exam

Q. What is the WorkKeys exam?

The WorkKeys exam is a nationally normed test in which students have 30 minutes to compose a professionally written memo in response to a prompt. The memo is sent to ACT to be scored on a standardized scale of 1 to 5. Students seeking formal admission to the JJCBE must earn a score of 3 or better.

Q. Why is the WorkKeys exam required?

The main requirement of workplace writing is clarity. Employers want their employees' written communications to be direct, grammatically correct, and easy to read. Careless errors may lead the reader to believe there are also errors in the facts, and the writer loses credibility and trustworthiness. WorkKeys Business Writing requires standard business English, defined as writing that is direct, courteous, grammatically correct, and not overly casual.

Q. What does the WorkKeys exam measure?

The WorkKeys Business Writing test measures the skill individuals use when they write an original response to a work-related situation. Components of the Business Writing skill include sentence structure, mechanics, grammar, word usage, tone and word choice, organization and focus, and development of ideas.

Q. When do I take the WorkKeys exam?

The WorkKeys exam is administered once a term in BMGT 205. There is no on-demand option for individual exams; students must sit for the exam when it is administered in BMGT 205.

Q. Can I take the WorkKeys exam if I am not enrolled in BMGT 205?

Yes. Contact Prof. Mike Shaw,, to arrange to take the exam with BMGT 205 students.

Q. May I take the WorkKeys exam online?

No. Only the paper and pencil version of the test administered in BMGT 205 will fulfill formal admissions requirements.

Q. Are practice tests available?

Yes.  Please visit the following link for more information on practice tests

Q. How will I receive my score?

You will receive your score report in BMGT 205.  Please submit a copy of the report to the Office of Student Services and retain the original.

Q. May I repeat the exam if I did not earn a score of 3 or better?

Yes.  Contact Prof. Mike Shaw,, to arrange to take the exam with BUS 205 students.

Q. Can I get additional copies of my scores?

Yes.  Please visit the following link for more information on ordering additional copies of your score report:

top of page


Q. What is an option worksheet and where can I find mine?

Graduation or Option Worksheets illustrate the courses and degree requirements for the JJCBE curriculum and were created to assist business students with their course scheduling. Fillable version of the worksheets can be downloaded from our Forms page; hard copy versions of the worksheets can be picked up in the Office of Student Services, 338 Reid Hall. We recommend that you download and save a copy of your option worksheet to your personal computer. At the end of each semester fill in your grades for the courses you completed and use the remaining courses to develop an academic plan for your remaining semesters.

Four (4) undergraduate option worksheets are available: accounting (ACTG), finance (BFIN), management (BMGT), and marketing (BMKT). The years listed on each worksheet refer to the MSU-Bozeman Undergraduate and Graduate Bulletin (catalog) with the same years. Your worksheet and catalog are determined by the year you began at MSU. For MSU policy on "catalog" of record see: Degree requirements vary by catalog year, so it is important to use the appropriate catalog. If you are unsure of your catalog year please contact the JJCBE Office of Student Services at or 406-994-4681.

Brochures are available for the six (6) business minors in 338 Reid. Paper copies of the Master of Professional Accountancy (MPAc) worksheet are also available in 338 Reid.

top of page