Substance Abuse Counseling
The Counseling Center's alcohol and drug assistance program focuses on prevention and individual student needs. We are dedicated to providing a voluntary, confidential resource to assist all students who are impacted directly or indirectly by chemical abuse. Confidentiality is assured in all matters. The office provides education, referral and pre-assessment support which promotes the legal, healthy and low risk use of alcohol and the non-use of illicit drugs.
- Provides individual as well as group chemical dependency counseling.
- Promotes and supports alternative student programs and activities, most notably MSU’s Center for Recovering Students.
- Offers referral assistance to students and their friends who have issues associated with alcohol and drug usage.
- Provides information, support, and referral for those students affected by behavioral compulsions and for students who are/were affected by chemical abuse within a family.
- Offers workshops, seminars and training.
- Gives support to friends and family who are affected by someone else's substance use/abuse.
- Supports other MSU offices, faculty and staff in issues relating to alcohol/drugs and behavioral compulsions.
- Provides factual information and dispels myths about alcohol and drugs.
- Houses a comprehensive resource library on alcohol, drugs, and other addictive substances.
- Disseminates information on local treatment and recovery program options.