Nyree Hogan Men’s & Women’s Open Basketball Tournament
Bozeman, MT April 1 & 2, 2011
Basketball Tourney Rules and Regulations
All rules MUST be read and understood by each & every player BEFORE game time.
1. The tournament committee makes all final decisions concerning all grievances; i.e. protests, eligibility, etc.
2. The entry fee is $275.00 due March 23rd; after this date entry fee is $325.00.
Make Check or Money Order payable to:
MSU Pow Wow Tournament
Send to: Student Activities – Pow Wow Tournament
222 Student Union Building
Bozeman, MT 59717
3. The first 12 men’s teams and 10 women’s teams who pay their entry fee will be accepted.
4. No team shall have a player roster of more than 10 players. Note: Only 8 prizes, t-shirts & bags to each paying team.
5. Competition will be double elimination. Forfeit counts as one game.
6. Roster must be sent to the tournament committee before the first game. No adding or deleting after first game.
7. A team will be charged with a forfeit if it uses an ineligible player that is not on the roster. The team manager is responsible for ensuring the eligibility & signatures of all players on the team. To avoid unnecessary forfeit please allow time before your first scheduled game to make sure the roster is signed by all the players on your team.
8. Destruction or damage of Montana State University property will be severely punished by proper authorities. The player and team will pay for damages and will automatically be eliminated from the tournament.
9. No player shall play for more than one team during the tournament. If this rule is violated, all relevant games will be forfeited and will result in a loss for any team associated with this player.
10. Team captains/managers are the voice of their team and are responsible for their team’s conduct. If any player or spectator is the under the influence of alcohol or drugs, the tournament committee/game officials have the right to expel them from any game and/or tournament, and bar him/her from the gyms. This rule will be strictly enforced!
11. Game Time & Time Out:
· Games time = 40 minutes, divided into halves of 20 minutes each.
· Time out = two time outs per half. Time outs will not be carried over the second half. The clock will be stopped for time outs, which will be one minute in length. Half time will be five minutes long.
· Time will run continuously throughout, except for the last two minutes of the second half. During the final two minutes of the second half, the clock will be stopped for all fouls and ball out situations.
12. Each game will start with a jump ball at center court. Each possession there after will be alternated. The official scorekeeper will keep track of the possession arrow.
13. Teams will be allowed 7 team fouls before enter the bonus situations (1 and 1 rule).
14. Game time is forfeit time! (A five minute grace period will be given).
15. Official scorekeeper must be notified before a substitution can be made, which will be allowed on all dead ball situations.
16. Players wearing glasses are advised to wear a protector or have shatterproof lenses.
17. Jewelry may not be worn during the game, nor hats or headgear that hangs below the collar.
18. All players must wear gym shoes and matching colored T-shirts/jerseys when playing.
19. A technical foul will be assessed if the player’s numbers are not visible to the officials (referee & scoring officials).
20. A three point shot rule is in effect. On the line does not count as a three pointer.
21. If you choose to dunk then it is your responsibility to pay for the rim or backboard if it is broken or shattered. The basketball committee will not be held responsible for the damage cost. Dunking will be allowed during play only.
22. A flagrant/technical foul will result in a player’s dismissal from the game until a $20 fine is paid before the player is allowed back into the game. The $20 fine is due before the team’s next game or the player will be eliminated for the duration of the tournament. A player who commits two flagrant/technical fouls will be suspended from the tournament.
23. Fighting by any individual (either on or off the court) will result in the whole team being ejected from the game and removed from the tournament.
24. The official will only refer to the official scorekeeper and timekeepers of the game at hand. Any other outside scorekeepers will be consulted.
25. Scorekeepers and timekeepers are officials and are allowed to give out technical fouls for any taunting or foul language by members of the team or their spectators.
26. The team will be held responsible fort their fans’ negative comments or actions towards the officials and committee members.
27. Calling any of the officials, timekeepers, scorekeepers, or any member of the basketball committee insulting names will not be tolerated and will result in a technical foul.
28. Only estimated times will be given on the bracket for the game time. In case of forfeit or other circumstances teams are asked to be in the gym one hour before their own (unless they play the first game of the day, so that we can keep the games going). Remember, the game time is forfeit time. So again, to avoid necessary forfeits, please be in the gym a game before your own.
29. If player(s) are under the age of 18 a parent or guardian must sign the release form.
30. Teams cannot have 3 or more players that are currently playing or have played college basketball in the last 5 years. Teams will be asked to reduce or change rosters otherwise will be eliminated from tournament entry.
For a printable version of this form, Click Here
Registration Form - Click Here