Brightspace LE Email
Email is both internal and external in Brightspace LE
Overview: In the Brightspace Learning Environment, users can set it up so that they can forward their email out of the system to another external-to-Brightspace LE email address that they specify. Users may also elect to send copies of sent messages to a "default" external email address associated with their Brightspace LE account. Users can also send email into the Brightspace LE system.
Default email address inside Brightspace LE:
For the majority of MSU-Bozeman participants* the Brightspace LE system uses the "Preferred E-mail Address" (recorded in Banner) as the default external email address associated with their account in the Brightspace LE system. MSU-Bozeman Brightspace LE users can set up their "Preferred E-mail Address" via the Secure Area of MyInfo (in Banner).
The Brightspace LE email system is a separate email system - different from other MSU email systems. Users must access Brightspace LE in order to use Brightspace LE email.
Setting up, maintaining and monitoring email addresses related to Brightspace LE is the responsibility of the user.
|Set up your Brightspace LE email||Banner and Brightspace LE email||Recommendations|
|Brightspace LE Email Address||Setting "Preferred" email|
Log in to Brightspace LE via the Brightspace LE log in page
1. To enter the Brightspace LE Email area, select the "Message Alerts" icon on the mini-bar and from the drop menu select the "Go to Email" link.
2. When in the Brightspace LE Email area, select the "Settings" link (appears upper right).
3. The Email Settings area is divided into 3 separate sections: Email Options, Display Options and Forwarding Options. Selecting or deselecting a checkbox and then selecting the "Save" button is how you adjust the parameters in your email account.
4. In the "Email Options" area you can elect to include the original message in your reply, add an email signature to emails you send, and, by default, save copies of outgoing messages in a "Sent Mail" folder.
In this area you can also choose to send a copy of each sent message to an external-to-Brightspace LE email address. The default external address to which copies of sent message will automatically be delivered is shown to the user in this area (as indicated by the blue fake-email-address in the image below). Be aware that you cannot change the default external address in this area, or anywhere in Brightspace LE that the default external address appears, because the default external address is supplied by Banner.
Note: Though you cannot change the default email address associated with your Brightspace LE account when INSIDE the Brightspace LE system, the default email address that appears in this area is generated from the "Preferred E-mail Address" that most users* set up via the Secure Area of MyInfo (Banner). You can change it there. For more information about "Preferred E-mail Address(es)" go here.
5. In the "Display Options" area you control the way the email area looks (and behaves) while you are reading and managing messages. The default layout is illustrated below. Selecting or deselecting a checkbox and then selecting the "Save" button is how you adjust these display parameters. For instance, if you find the "Message Preview pane" to be a nuisance you can make it go away by deselecting the corresponding checkbox and then selecting "Save" - and so on.
Note: Though there is a "Show external email addresses in the Address Book" checkbox available in this area, external email addresses ARE NOT available in the Address Book. If you select the checkbox, select "Save" and then look for them in your Address Book they will not appear.
6. In the "Forwarding Options" area you control the way that you manage forwarding emails out of Brightspace LE to another external email address.
Upon selecting the checkbox you will be able to change the Email Address that the forwarded messages will be delivered to and use the available radio buttons to select how you want the messages to be handled.
7. Find out information on each action by selecting the question mark icon...
A popup dialogue box will display that gives information specific to the question icon selected. In this example (below) the information box describes the behavior of "Forwarding Options" when the user selects the "forward and mark read in the Inbox folder" radio button - Note that this is the Forwarding setting that Ecat Team staff recommends. Selecting "OK" sends the pop-up away.
8. Select "Save" after any selection(s) made for change(s) to take effect.
IMPORTANT: Be aware that if you elect to "forward and delete from the Inbox folder" you will not have course related emails lodged in your Brightspace LE email account to serve as a backup of your course email correspondence. Best practices suggest that you keep email backups available in the event of unforeseen problems with your external email address. Your Brightspace LE email account affords a logical and simple method of keeping a record of any emails that are generated in association with coursework in the Brightspace LE system.
Figure out what works best for you, implement, test, adjust if necessary, and you'll be good to go.
The proper email address to send email from an external email address INTO a mailbox in the Brightspace LE system or send email internally within the Brightspace LE system is as follows:
User's Brightspace LE Username@ecat.montana.edu
Users can locate their Brightspace LE Username via the Classlist.
Select "Classlist" from the "Course Resources" drop menu.
The username is displayed in the "Username" column.
Note: Most individuals authenticate to Brightspace LE using NetID. NetID IS NOT the username that Brightspace LE keys on inside the system. Using the NetID in the address of an email intended to go into the Brightspace LE system will end up non-deliverable.
The Brightspace LE system uses the "Preferred E-mail Address" that is recorded in the MSU Banner system as the default external email address that is associated with a users Brightspace LE account in the Brightspace LE system - so whatever email is listed as the user's "Preferred E-mail Address" in the Secure Area of MyInfo is the email that Brightspace LE will use when sending copies of outgoing messages (should the user elect to enable that service inside Brightspace LE).
If a participant wishes to change the default Brightspace LE email address he/she will have to change the "Preferred E-mail Address" via the Secure Area of MyInfo (Banner) and then wait (typically overnight) for the change to be updated in the Brightspace LE system.
The default Brightspace LE email address also receives Other Email Notifications that emanate from the Brightspace LE system unless the user has established a different email in the Notifications area of Brightspace LE as illustrated below:
- Inside of the Brightspace LE email settings area participants have the ability to change the external email address to which Brightspace LE forwards email but cannot change the default external email address that is associated with their Brightspace LE account.
- The updating of the Brightspace LE default email address from the Secure Area of MyInfo takes place during the nightly updates from Banner to the Brightspace LE system. Be aware that the change you make in Banner regarding the "Preferred E-mail Address" will NOT have effect on the Brightspace LE default email address until after a nightly update has taken place.
- If an individual has NOT SELECTED a preferred email address in Banner MyInfo, in some instances, the statement "No-Preferred-Email" appears as the external email account associated with a user’s Brightspace LE account and in other cases a blank field is displayed. When this occurs, the "No-Preferred-Email" statement or blank field appears in all the places that the "Preferred E-mail Address" appears in Brightspace LE. A message sent to "No-Preferred-Email" or a blank field is non-deliverable. The solution to this situation is to go into the Secure Area of MyInfo and select/create a preferred email.
Go to the Secure Area of MyInfo (Banner) to see which E-mail Address is set as your "Preferred E-mail Address" in Banner. If necessary, from this area, you can edit your email address and assign it as the "preferred" address so that it can be passed over to Brightspace LE in the nightly updates between Banner and Brightspace LE.
Basic advice for handling your email account in Brightspace LE
- The "Preferred E-mail Address" in the Secure Area of MyInfo is the default email address that is associated with your Brightspace LE account and Banner updates the Brightspace LE system nightly with this information. Set up the proper external email address you wish to have listed in Brightspace LE via the Secure Area of MyInfo.
- Be aware that the updating of your Brightspace LE default email address via Secure Area of MyInfo will typically take at least one night to complete. Plan appropriately time-wise when making changes to the "Preferred E-mail Address" in the Secure Area of MyInfo.
- Make sure (!) the external email you establish as the "Preferred E-mail Address" in the Secure Area of MyInfo is entered correctly. Perform a test before assuming that all is good to go. If you have mis-typed; selected inappropriately; or supplied the wrong address in the "Preferred E-mail Address" area then your Brightspace LE email will not be delivered to the address you wish it to be delivered to properly.
- Do not set up your email accounts so that a loop is established. For instance, if you set up your Brightspace LE email to forward to an account that is set up to then forward to another account and then that account forwards back into Brightspace LE it will be a major headache for the user. Avoid loops!
- MSU-Bozeman Ecat Team staff recommends selecting "forward and mark read in the Inbox folder" OR "forward and mark unread in the Inbox folder" as the best way to proceed when electing to forward email out of Brightspace LE.
- If you set up forwarding email to an external email address in the Brightspace LE email settings area, make sure that you understand the ramifications of the set up you have established. For instance, if you elect to "forward and delete from the Inbox folder" in Brightspace LE settings, be aware that any email sent to your Brightspace LE account (email sent to a user internally via the Brightspace LE Learning Environment OR sent from an external email address into the system) will disappear from your Brightspace LE email area thus depriving you of a backup of emails associated with your course that are generated in the Brightspace LE system.
- Setting up, maintaining and monitoring email addresses related to the Secure Area of MyInfo and the Brightspace LE Learning Environment is the sole responsibility of the user (both instructor and student). Figure out what works best for you, implement, test, adjust if necessary, and monitor.
*The majority of MSU-Bozeman Brightspace LE participants have a NetID-based Brightspace LE username specific to their Brightspace LE account but there are individuals with special accounts that do not utilize the Banner system. These participants will need to contact Ecat Team Staff if they wish the default email associated with their account in Brightspace LE to be changed.
NOTE: What dialogue box windows look like and how dialogue box windows and browsers interact is dependent upon the operating system and browser being used. The screenshots in this tutorial will most likely differ somewhat from the screen that the user is viewing when performing the actions described in this tutorial.