Getting Started Instructor Help
Brightspace at Montana State University - Bozeman
All courses that exist in Banner each semester are automatically provisioned in Brightspace.
- Login to Brightspace find your course offering online.
- Note: Learners do not see a course in their view of Brightspace until the instructor activates it.
- Instructors can use Brightspace to (among other things):
- post announcements
- upload or post course content
- collect assignments
- deliver online quizzes
- release grades to learners
- facilitate learner discussions
Use the following sequence of step-by-step instructions to build a very basic Brightspace course.
A. Find your course offering on Brightspace Learning Environment
- Go to Brightspace Log on page
- Log in with your NetID and NetID password.
Courses for which you are the instructor of record will be listed under the current semester. What if my courses aren't listed?
B. Post information in the Announcements area
Post announcements via the Announcements area of a course. Learners have access to announcements on both the My Home page and a course home page.
To post an announcement:
- From the MyHome page in Brightspace, click on a course title to enter a course.
- Click on the "Create an announcement" link in the announcements area.
- Enter a heading for the announcement and enter the announcement text in the content section. Use the formatting option to adjust the appearance of any announcements item.
- Click Save to save the Announcement.
- Click on the Course Name on the navigation bar to return to the course home page.
Make as many announcements as often as necessary. Advised to keep them brief if possible. Links to other areas in the course can be established in an announcement. Note that learners can collapse the announcements widgets. Use the availability options to set when an announcement will be visible to learners.
C. Post course materials under Content
Post course materials for the learners to view/download in the Content area of a course.
To add content to a course:
- From the My Home page in Brightspace, click on a course title to enter a course.
- Click on the Content link in the nav bar.
- Enter a title into Add a Module (under the "Table of Contents" on the left hand nav bar) to create a heading under which topics will appear. Select "Enter" on the keyboard to make it stick.
- Select the Upload/Create button to choose from various options to add a Topic to the module.
- Follow the prompts to establish the topic.
Use the restrictions to set availability for the modules and topics.
D. Set up a class Discussion area
If necessary, create a Discussion area for class discussion to take place online.
How to create a discussion area:
- From the My Home page in Brightspace, click on the course title to enter a course.
- Click on the Discussions link in the nav bar.
- Click on the New button and select New Forum from the drop menu to create a heading for the topics.
- Enter a title (e.g. Class Discussions) and click Save and Close.
- Click on the New button and select New Topic from the drop menu.
- Choose the forum under which it will appear and enter a title for your topic.
- In the description, enter text explaining to the learners what the discussion area will be used for - select Save and Close.
- Click on the topic and when in the topic select the Start a New Thread button to post a discussion.
- To read postings, click on the Topic title to enter that topic.
- Use Settings to adjust how your discussions posting view appears for you.
Create as many forums and topics as needed. Set restrictions on when discussion forums and topics will be visible and available to learners.
E. Make a course active
All course offerings are autoprovisioned from Banner, but will not be visible to the learner until the instructor makes the course active.
- After logging in to Brightspace, enter a course.
- When in the course, select Course Admin from the course nav bar..
- Select Course Offering Information.
- Click the checkbox next to Course is Active.
- Click Save.
- Click on the MyHome link on the nav bar to return to the MyHome page.
Links will open in a new tab or window dependent on browser/OS configuration.
Note that some of the workflows, tools, and settings referenced in the Brightspace Community Resource area are not utilized in the Montana State University - Bozeman Brightspace LE instance. MSU's look (My Home page, Course Home page, etc.) will differ from the look in documentation produced by Brightspace (D2L).