How to change a user's enrollment
Instructors of a course can change the enrollment status of any user in the course via the Classlist of the course. (how to change a user's enrollment - information directly below)
If students ask instructors for access to a past course.
The D2L Student role does not allow access to courses in past terms. If the instructor wishes to grant access to a past course to the student, he/she must change the enrollment for the student account to facilitate access to the course. The reviewer role is a role that allows this type of access.
|reviewer role use||roles available in D2L|
After accessing course, select "Classlist" link from the "Course Resources" drop menu.
Select the checkbox associated with the user whose role you wish to change.
Select the "Enrollment" icon located at the top of the Classlist table.
Select the role you wish the user to become from the drop down menu. Select the "Save" button after changing the role for the change to hold.
- If an instructor agrees to grant a student access to a course from a past semester,
the instructor can go into the course classlist and change enrollment from "Student"
role to "Reviewer" role.
- "Reviewer" role allows access to a course regardless of term or course end date.
- For students who originally registered for the course through Banner, the change in enrollment from "Student" role to "Reviewer" role will hold until the nightly update from Banner changes the "Reviewer" role back to "Student" role.
- Instructor advice to a student accessing via the Reviewer role might be: “I’ll make the enrollment change and you'll need to access the course prior to midnight.”
- If the student needs more time the instructor can change the individual's enrollment as necessary.
- Reviewer role has no power to change anything in a course and can be added into courses that are in past (and other) terms.
- Reviewer role individuals are unable to see the grades area.
- Reviewer role participants appear in the course classlist area with their role listed as Reviewer.
Roles available in the MSU-Bozeman D2L course system are described here - About roles in Brightspace (D2L) LE
General information about changing roles in the D2L system - how it is done and what occurs:
- Banner (Ellucian) is the Student Information System (SIS) that is used to manage course records and student/instructor records at Montana State University.
- Banner interacts with D2L by "feeding" it updated .xml files that note changes that have occurred in Banner.
- Every night, in a batch process using the .XML files, after a term has been "turned on" and information is ready to be passed over into D2L, Banner processes course data (includes any new courses added into the system) and user/membership data (new users, updates to user records, deletes of user records, membership data including type of role and course that the student/instructor belongs in) which updates the D2L Holding Tank.
- When changing a role in D2L Instructors should realize that the role in D2L will get overwritten by anything that exists in Banner. This is why, for instance, if a student role is changed to a Course Assistant role without any corresponding change made in Banner, the role will revert back to the student role in D2L unless special steps are taken to ensure that the changed enrollment holds.
- Instructors should contact MSU-Bozeman D2L support with further questions or if needing help getting a role to "stick" properly.
NOTE: What dialogue box windows look like and how dialogue box windows and browsers interact is dependent upon the operating system and browser being used. The screenshots in this tutorial may differ from the screen that the user is viewing when performing the actions described in this tutorial.