Student Frequently Asked Questions
- What version of Brightspace LE are we using at Montana State University?
- How do I know if I am enrolled in a Brightspace LE supplemented class?
- I don't see any Brightspace LE courses when I log in - why?
- What is my Brightspace LE username and password (ID)?
- I know I am in a Brightspace LE class - how do I access the course?
- How do I make sure my web browser will work properly with Brightspace LE?
- How do I navigate properly within my Brightspace LE course?
- What to do when I´m done using Brightspace LE in a student lab or other public venue?
- I want to know more about how Brightspace LE works - are there any online resources available?
- My name has changed. What needs to happen so I can continue to log in to Brightspace LE?
- I am locked out of my pager because of an incomplete quiz! What can I do?
- Can I forward my mail out of Brightspace LE?
- I forgot my password. I can´t get into Brightspace LE. What do I do?
Note: Desire2Learn has been renamed Brightspace. It is still called Brightspace LE as well.
Montana State University - Bozeman is currently using the most recent Brightspace LE Version as the main learning environment (LE).
Select this link to see information regarding the most current version: Current Version of Brightspace (Brightspace LE)
All credit courses are provisioned automatically across the Montana State University system so any course a student has registered for via Banner will have a Brightspace LE offering associated with it. Instructors must choose to make the course "active" for a student to actually see it. Not all instructors will choose to use Brightspace LE. For students, the easiest way to figure out what courses are available is to log in to Brightspace LE. If a student does not see an expected course appearing in Brightspace LE, contact the instructor of the course.
All courses are auto-provisioned from Banner and exist in Brightspace LE. All enrollments are updated in each of these courses nightly from Banner. For a student who is registered properly, a course can appear up to 5 days before the start date *if* the instructor has made it active.
Not all instructors choose to use Brightspace LE, and, in some cases, an instructor may not make a course active until a later date.
If a student does not see an expected course appearing as of the start date and the instructor has indicated that Brightspace LE will be used for the course, contact the instructor.
Most individuals authenticate to Brightspace LE using their NetID and NetID password combination. Note that a users NetID IS NOT the username that Brightspace LE keys on inside the system. Typically, "first.last" is the format of an individual's username in the Brightspace LE system.
Users can locate their Brightspace LE Username via the Classlist.
Select "Classlist" from the "Course Resources" drop menu.
The username is displayed in the "Username" column.
Regularly enrolled MSU-Bozeman participants use their NetID coupled with their NetID password to log in to Brightspace LE.
To find out your NetID log in to the Secure Area of My Info and on the "Personal Information" tab select the "View IDs" link.
Set your NetID password at password.montana.edu – MSU’s My Profile page.
For more information on Brightspace LE Username, passwords, and NetID - go here: Brightspace LE password information
- Open a new browser window.
- Go to the MSU-Bozeman Brightspace LE login page
- In the login area that appears, enter NetID and NetID Password.
- Select the "Login" button.
- Upon successful login, a participant will be taken to the Brightspace LE "My Home" page.
- The Brightspace LE "My Home" page displays information specific to the participant's personal Brightspace LE account:
- Displays "active" courses that a participant is enrolled in.
- Gives access to the "My Settings" area to set preferences for various Brightspace LE tools, create a profile for use within Brightspace LE, and set up Notifications - among other features.
- Participants should explore the Brightspace LE "My Home" page to become familiar with available links and tools.
- Note: Student role participants cannot add or remove themselves from Brightspace LE courses - this function happens automatically via Banner services and the registrar's office.
Participants should go to to the Brightspace LE login page and select the "System Check" link to verify that Brightspace LE will work properly with the web browser of choice. The "System Check" is designed to ensure that the computer system is properly configured for web courses delivered via Brightspace LE. It will return a page that indicates whether a browser is appropriate or not.
Note that the "System Check" will sometimes indicate that a browser "fails" and is not supported and yet, when using the browser, most things actually do work fine. If it works - use it. If it doesn't work in certain situations, try the action while using another browser.
It is usually best to stay within the framed environment of the Brightspace LE system. For instance, use the menus bars and various linked areas to navigate around in the course. Using the Back and Forward buttons on your browser toolbar may occasionally cause unpredictable results. If weird things occur, like, for instance, the browser freezes up, refresh the web page.
Log out of Brightspace LE. On "My Home" menu bar select "Log Out" from the drop-down menu that appears under your name. Participants will know of a successful log out when the browser returns the user to the Brightspace LE login page.
Go to MSU-Bozeman's Brightspace LE Help Resources for the current Brightspace LE Student Resources section. Also, don't hesitate to search the web for resources from other schools who use Brightspace LE.
Students use NetID to log in to Brightspace LE and NetID is not affected by name change. However, students should contact the Registrar's office to initiate the name change process so that MSU records reflect correct name status.
If you have changed your name and are unable to login to Brightspace LE, contact available help resources.
If an instructor has set the option to disable pager access during a quiz and a quiz attempt has been left "in progress" (e.g. you did not complete the steps to submit it), the individual will not be able to access the pager. To resume pager use, the participant should submit the quiz, or if it is past the quiz availability time, contact the instructor and ask he/she to submit an "in progress" quiz for the user. If it is for a past term, send an email to email@example.com.
Yes. Email in Brightspace LE is both internal and external to the system. Mail can be forwarded out and users can receive messages from external mail servers. For more on Brightspace LE email go here: Brightspace LE Email
If your instructor can´t answer the question, call the UIT Service Desk 994-1777, or email firstname.lastname@example.org - or contact the Ecat Team for support.
Use Extended Support from D2L by dialing local number 406 994 3255 and selecting OPTION 1 - 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and 365 days a year. Look also for the "Extended Support" widget on the My Home page which has a toll-free line listed, a link to submit an issue via email, as well as a Chat functionality.
Use the local MSU-Bozeman Brightspace LE Support Team (aka Ecat Team) at 406 994 3255 and select OPTION 2 - Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm or email email@example.com anytime.
Students can also contact the MSU-Bozeman UIT Service Desk via phone at 406 994 1777 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with general issues as needed.