There are many career options after graduation with a Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences.
With Conservation Biology and Ecology, Fish and Wildlife Management and Ecology, and Organismal Biology Options
A variety of positions are available in the federal Departments of Interior or Agriculture with a major in these options. These agencies include the Forest Service, Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, or US Fish and Wildlife Service.
- With these majors you could enter positions at the GS-5 level and then be eligible for a GS-7 position with experience, probably after one year in the position. At present, this job market is fairly competitive, so candidates with a Master's Degree may be given preference.
- These majors would make you eligible for federal positions in the GS-400 series: Natural Resources Management and Biological Sciences Series, including GS-486 Wildlife Biology, GS-408 Ecology, or GS-482 Fish Biology. Specific qualification standards, including course work, and the positions available can be found on the web at the following URL: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications. Additional graduate work or equivalent experience is required for federal Research Positions in this series.
Montana Fish Wildlife and Parks requires a Master's degree for most career positions though you would qualify for some technical or support positions.
A Biological Sciences major will find opportunities in Non-Government Organizations such as the Wilderness Society or Nature Conservancy.
You may also apply for a position in any number local, regional, and national offices for non-profit or for-profit groups that offer employment in a more specific area of interest, such as raptors or wetlands.
In addition, the strength of the Biological Sciences degree in these options will provide the background for entry into graduate programs for professional positions.
With the Biology Teaching Option
The Biology Teaching option certifies graduates to be qualified to teach secondary education biology.
- Careers in Ecology - detailed information provided by The Ecological Society
- what kinds of jobs are available
- how to gain experience during college
- job outlook
- searching for jobs
- applying to graduate school - preparing well and getting accepted
- Environmental Consulting Career Advice - PM Environmental, Inc.
- National Park Service Employment: Volunteers, Temporary Jobs, & Careers
- State employment - directory of personnel offices by state
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service - Jobs
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service - Law Enforcement
- Bureau of Land Management
- National Park Service
- National Wildlife Refuge System
- Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center
- Office of Migratory Bird Research
- U.S.D.A. Forest Service
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Home Page
- National Association of University Fisheries and Wildlife Programs
- American Fisheries Society Jobs Bulletin - temporary technicians to professional positions listed
- Conservancy of Southwest Florida - includes 6-9 month internships
- Conservation Job Board - jobs in fields related to conservation
- Earthworks-world wide opportunities
- Ecological Society's Job Listings - graduate positions and field positions listed
- EcoEmploy: Environmental Jobs and Careers - a comprehensive, organized listing of links to environmental and natural resource career information and opportunities
- Environmental Career Opportunities - a bimonthly subscription to environmental job listings
- Environmental Careers Organization - provides a wide range of resources for those seeking jobs in the environment
- Environmental Careers World - environmental and natural resources job information and career news
- Environmental Jobs and Careers - AgricultureB2B site
- EElinked - North American Association for Environmental Education
- Federal Jobs
- Geography Jobs - jobs in the environment, GIS, academia and more
- Global Vision International - United Kingdom source of internationl careers
- Montana State University Career Services
- Ornithological Jobs - temporary work, graduate positions, and full-time positions working with birds
- Society for Conservation Biology
- Park Service
- The Job Seeker - a bimonthly subscription newsletter of nationwide natural resource and environmental vacancies
- Texas A&M - university job board
- Trout Unlimited - possible research positions
- U.S.D.A. Forest Service - temporary employment announcements
- University of Montana - university job board
- The Simple Dollar Employment Guide - steps to obtaining a job
- American Fisheries Society
- Animal Behavior Society
- Ecological Society of America
- Society for Conservation Biology
- The Wildlife Society
Updated September 12, 2014