FAQ's and Information

Academic Information Other Resources



Q: The course I want is full. I'd like to try to get into it. What do I do?

First, keep checking the course schedule on the web.  Courses open and close daily.  If you haven’t been able to add the course before the first day of class, ATTEND the first day with an ADD/DROP form. Complete the necessary information and meet with the instructor asking for permission to be admitted. After the instructor signs the form, meet with your advisor for his/her signature. Finally, take the form to the Registrar's Office for processing.  You will not be added until the form is processed at the Registrar's Office.

Q: What does 'consent of the instructor' mean and how do I enroll in these restricted classes?

‘Consent of the instructor’ designation means the course(s) require departmental permission for enrollment. Students should be aware of course pre-requisites and follow these requirements in order to have the proper background knowledge for success in upper-division courses.  Contact the department offering the restricted course to determine how to proceed with the registration process.

Following is how to register for restricted entry courses in the Health and Human Development Department

If the course is not in the College of Education, Health and Human Development, contact the specific department. 

NOTE:   Make sure you do not have "holds" on your account.  Only students without holds are eligible for enrollment. 

Q: How do I get accepted to the Teacher Education Preparation Program (TEPP)?”

Students who meet the requirements and complete the application are formally accepted into the Teacher Education Preparation Program (TEPP) and are eligible to register for Methods, Teacher Practicum, Student Teaching, and Professional Issues. Step-by-step instructions are located on the Education Advising Website (www.montana.edu/ehhd/educ/advising).

Q: When is the last day to add a class?

Check the Academic Calendar under “Important Dates” at the top of the on-line Schedule of Classes.  This link, as well as the Registration Handbook available on the “My Info” list https://atlas.montana.edu:9000/pls/bzagent/twbkwbis.P_GenMenu?name=homepage, will provide all the deadlines for the specific term. 

Fall and Spring semesters allow students to add with approval of the instructor and advisor up to the end of the 10th day of University instruction for the semester.  After the 10th class day, add forms must have the approval (signature) of the Associate Dean of the College of Education, Health & Human Development (Reid 250).

Q: I won't be on campus until a later date. Can my friend do the add for me?

No. Only the students themselves can officially process an "Add/Drop".

Q: How do I drop a class?

Students may drop classes from their schedule on-line up to the 10th day of class, or complete an "Add/Drop" form. After the 10th class day, students must pick up an "Add/Drop" form, complete the necessary information, get the signature from the instructor of the class being dropped, and have then have their advisor sign it. The completed form must then be submitted to the Registrar's Office for processing. You will not be dropped from the course(s) until the form is processed at the Registrar's Office.

Students may only drop a class during the last two weeks of the semester for extraordinary reasons only(e.g. death, illness). Pick up the relevant form from the Advising Center in Reid 132.

Q: I want to drop all my classes, what do I do?

In order to drop all your courses you must process a university withdrawal. This is done at the Dean of Students' Office located on the 1st floor of the Student Union Building (SUB).

Q: If I drop, how will it affect my GPA?

You will receive a "W" as a grade.  A “W” grade does not affect a student’s grade point average; however, it can affect financial aid requirements for satisfactory progress. Be sure to contact the financial aid office on the 1st floor of the SUB if you have questions.  If you are a veteran, or in ROTC, contact your counselor or ROTC advisor, in addition to the Financial Aid Department, prior to dropping any courses.
Q: What do I do to return to school?

Students returning to school after not being enrolled for one or more semesters must submit an “Intent to Register” form to the Registrar's Office.  Once the form is processed, you will receive your registration (advisor) codes in the mail. Forms may be downloaded from the following site: (http://www.montana.edu/registrar/?9#top9)


top of page

Alternate PIN/Personal Data Forms (PDFs)

Q: What is an Alternate Pin? When do I get this?

A n Alternate Pin/Registration Pin number is generated each term and is printed on your Personal Data Form (PDF).  Continuing students must pick up this form in 132 Reid during the registration period each term.  This number is NOT associated with your advisor. Students are required to attend an Advising Meeting or sign an Advising Waiver in order to pick up their PDF.  Students are strongly encouraged to attend advising sessions in order to stay on track with program and and graduation requirements.

Alternate PIN numbers WILL NOT be released over the telephone. Do not lose this number, it is required for use during registration and when dropping courses on-line.  At the beginning of the advising and registration period each term (mid October and late March), our Education Advising office sends an email to students' MSU student email accounts concerning advising and registration procedures and deadlines.  Students are required to schedule a group advising appointment.  Students are welcome, and encouraged, to schedule appointments during “off-peak” advising times to discuss long-range education plans/goals.

Q: I was not on campus for a semester (or more). How do I get my PDF?

Submit an "Intent to Register" form to the Registrar’s Office. After the form is processed, you will receive your Alternate Pin in the mail from the Registrar’s Office. Forms are available at (http://www.montana.edu/registrar/?9#top9)

Q: Last semester I was in a different department and changed to the College of Education, Health and Human Development. Where do I get my PDF?

Check with your old department first. If your PDF is not there, then check with the Education Advising Center in 132 Reid. If the Education Advising Center does not have it, check with the Registrar's Office.

top of page

Changing Majors/Options/Minors

Q: How do I change my major?

Students may change their major by completing and submitting a “Change of Curriculum” card. Cards are available from the Registrar's Office, the College (Department) from which you are leaving, and/or the College (Department) to which you are transferring. You will need a signature from your former department and one from your new department. You will need to submit the card to the Registrar's Office for final, official processing.

Q: I want to stay in the College of Education, Health and Human Development but want to change my option or minor. How do I do that?

Students will need to complete the appropriate paperwork (writing and submitting a statement, and/or submitting declaration to add an option or minor.  http://www.montana.edu/registar/?10#top10

top of page

Computers and Technology

Q: What equipment is available in classrooms in Reid Hall?

All Reid classrooms have smart podiums with computers, VCR's/DVD's and document cameras in them. A ceiling projector is mounted in most of the classrooms.

top of page


Q: Where can I make copies?

Copies can be made in the library and in the SUB for a reasonable fee.

top of page

Education Minors and Options

Q. What are the Education Teaching Minors available to students?

All teaching minors must be linked to a teaching major.  Please refer to the online catalog, (http://www.montana.edu/wwwcat/programs/seced.html#OPT3), or the TEPP form website
(http://www.montana.edu/fieldplacement/tepp-approval.html) for a list of teaching minors and/or requirements.

Q. What are the Education Options available to students?

All options must be linked to a teaching major.  Please refer to our Education Advising Website for a list of Education Options.

Q. Can I get two minors, two options, one minor and one option, etc?


Q. Can I complete the minor requirements in a later catalog than my degree requirements?


Q. When do I declare a teaching minor or option?

Students should discuss adding a minor or option with their Academic Advisor as well as complete and submit relevant paperwork in order to ensure proper advising and program classification.

Q. I started a minor but won't have time to finish it before I graduate. What can I do?

The student has two options. You can opt not to complete the minor, OR you may decide to postpone graduation until the minor requirements have been fulfilled. 

top of page

CORE 2.0

Q. What is CORE 2.0 and how does it relate to my major?

CORE 2.0 (University Core) and your major are two, separate sets of requirements.  You are required to meet both to be eligible for graduation from Montana State University.  Details regarding CORE 2.0 can be found at the following link: http://www.montana.edu/core2/. Your major requirements will be found in the catalog and/or on your department’s website. 

Be aware that it may be possible to meet University Core (CORE 2.0) requirements while taking courses directly related to your major.  University Core courses are designated by a Core letter following the course number, i.e. US 101US, M 136Q, WRIT 101W, HSTA 101IH, etc.

top of page

Faculty and Academic Advisors

Q: Why do I need an advisor?

Academic planning and degree completion is the student's responsibility; however, obtaining academic advising from an advisor in the student’s area of study is required by the University. Your advisor can assist you with your academic and career planning and can serve as a valuable mentor. Students are required to meet with their advisor each semester and are encouraged to keep advisors apprised of their academic/career plans. Advisors must sign the Application for enterance into the Teacher Education Program.

Q: How do I find out who my advisor is?

Department Major Advisor Notes


Elementary Education, K-8

Advising Center
in 132 Reid
Faculty Advisor

Once students in these majors have been formally accepted in the Teacher Education Preparation Program (TEPP), they will be assigned a Faculty Advisor.


Social Studies Broadfield

Advising Center
in 132 Reid


General Science Broadfield

Advising Center
in 132 Reid
Michael Brody


Technology Education

Scott Davis or
Lydia Runkel



Agricultural Education Broadfield

Carl Igo


Art K-12 Broadfield

See Art Dept.


with Teaching Option

David Roberts, Ph.D.


with Teaching Option

Steve Holmgren, Ph.D.


with Teaching Option

Lisa Eckert, Ph.D. or Doug Downs, Ph.D.

Health and Human Development

Family Consumer Science
with Teaching Option

Holly Hunts, Ph.D.

Health and Human Development

Health Enhancement Broadfield, K-12

HHD Advising
in 121 Hosaeus
Nancy Colton, Ph.D.


with Teaching Option

Robert Rydell, Ph.D.
Tim LeCain, Ph.D.


with Teaching Option

Jennie Luebeck, Ph.D.
David Yopp, Ph.D.
Elizabeth Burroughs Ph.D

Modern Languages

French, German, or Spanish
with Teaching Option

See Modern Languages Department


School Music K-12 Broadfield

Kristin Harney

Q: When do I meet with my advisor and how can I find my advisor?

You may meet with your advisor during posted office hours. Scheduling appointments and brief questions may also be directed to his/her office telephone or email address.

Q. May I change my advisor?

Students are strongly encouraged to establish a professional, working relationship with their academic advisor.  The Advising Centers are designed to provide academic direction through the programs offered through the Education Department, while Faculty Advisors will provide insight into the profession and higher academic opportunities.

top of page

Formal Admission to the Teacher Education Preparation Program (TEPP)

Q: What is Formal Admission?

In order to maintain accreditation standards of academic excellence, promote success in upper division (300-400 level) Education courses, and ensure the safety of Primary and Secondary Education students the Department of Education requires all students seeking teacher licensure to meet the following specific performance standards before they are formally admitted to the upper division. The following list contains the performance standards:

  • Junior Standing (60 semester credits)
  • Completion of the all Methods Pre-requisites and Professional Preparation courses with a C or better in all courses required for methods course(s)
  • Meet all GPA requirements of 2.5 or better (see program standards)
  • Approved background check
  • Acceptance into the TEPP

Q: When do I apply for acceptance in the Teacher Education Preparation Program (TEPP)?

Students wishing to take upper-division (300 – 400) level Education Methods, Teacher Practicum, and Student Teaching courses must first be accepted to the Teacher Education Preparation Program.  Students complete an Application the semester prior to taking any Education Methods course and/or Teacher Practicum.

The application is located on the Education Advising Website (www.montana.edu/ehhd/educ/advising).  This application is considered a formal document and must be completed, typed, and signed by the student’s Academic/Faculty Advisor.  The application is a step-by-step process and all forms are interactive PDF’s.

Elementary Education applications are due either September 15th or February 15th, one semester prior to entering methods blocks.

Secondary Education applications are due either October 1st or March 1st, one semester prior to taking their methods and teaching practicum courses.

Students must meet minimum GPA requirements AND have a background check completed and approved in order to be admitted to the Teacher Education Preparation Program.

Q: When will I know about my Formal Acceptance status?

Students who have successfully completed their application and been accepted to the Teacher Education Preparation Program will receive a letter from the Field Placement and Licensure office stating their acceptance into the Program within a few weeks after submitting their application, IF their application was turned in on time AND there are no holds on their application.

Q: How will I know if there are holds on my Application?

Students should compute their GPA requirements so they are aware if they meet program standards.  If any GPA requirement falls below the minimum 2.5 requirement, the Student’s File Review Application will automatically be placed on hold until the requirement is met. 
Students should also be aware of their background records.  Anything more serious than a traffic ticket will automatically place the Student’s application on hold until the student has met with the Director of Field Placement and Licensure and had their background reviewed and a determination rendered.

Q: What if I am not admitted?

If you are not admitted into the Teacher Education Preparation Program, please meet with your advisor to discuss strategies for meeting the criteria outlined in the performance standards. Until you are admitted, you are eligible to add additional courses which may add an option, minor or additional endorsement to your major.

top of page


Q. How can I find out what my final grades are for the semester?

Access your transcript on MyInfo.  Please note that while grades are posted throughout finals week, your final GPA is not calculated until typically the middle of the week following finals week. Academic standing is not posted until this final GPA calculation is complete. It is the student's responsibility to check your grades each term and to be informed about your academic standing, e.g. good standing, probation, suspend warning and/or suspended.

Q. What should I do if I am unable to complete a course due to a medical problem or other extenuating circumstances?

An "I" (Incomplete) grade may be given in these situations. If you have satisfactorily completed at least three-quarters of the course requirements, you may be eligible for an incomplete 'I' grade. Discuss this with your instructor. Your instructor may request the Dean of Students (SUB 120) contact you to certify that you are unable to fulfill your commitments due to illness, death, family emergencies, or military orders. It is your responsibility to complete all the remaining course requirements by the date agreed upon with the instructor. Incomplete grades which are not made-up may lapse to an 'F' grade.

Q. I received an "I" grade in a class with a completion deadline that I am unable to meet. Do I automatically receive an "F" for the course?

See your instructor to discuss why you cannot meet the deadline. Your instructor might be able to issue an "I" grade extension allowing you more time to complete the work.

Q. How do I receive my grade once I make up an "I" grade?

When all work has been completed and graded, your instructor will process a grade change form. The Registrar will post your grade within a few days after receiving the form.

Q. I do not think the grade I received in a course is correct. How should I handle this?

Visit with your instructor to discuss how you were graded. If the instructor finds that a clerical error was made in grading your work, a grade change form can be processed. Grade appeal procedures are described at http://www2.montana.edu/policy/student_conduct/student_conduct_code.htm

top of page


Q: When do I apply for graduation?

You should complete and submit a graduation application ONE YEAR prior to the graduating semester. Applications for summer/spring terms are due 01 May the YEAR before graduation; applications for fall term are due 01 December the YEAR before graduation.

Q: Who do I complete my graduation application with?

Make an appointment with your advisor to discuss your degree requirements and if you have or will meet them by the projected graduation date. Your advisor must sign the form. You then submit your completed form to the College of Education, Health and Human Development in Reid 250 by the deadline above.  Incomplete forms or forms not signed will not be processed.

Q: What about university requirements such as the university core?

Once the Application of Baccalaureate Degree is filed, the Registrar's Office will certify all university requirements including the university core.

Q. How do I know if all my requirements are in order?

The Registrar's Office sends emails (MSU student email address) to all students who have some kind of graduation deficiency, e.g., not registered for required courses, university core requirements unmet, and/or total credits lacking. These emails require your full and immediate attention. If you receive a 'deficiency' email, contact your advisor to schedule an appointment. Come to the meeting prepared to discuss how you plan to correct the deficiency. It is the student's responsibility to meet all degree requirements.

Q: When do I find out about the graduation ceremony?

Information is posted on the MSU website in addition to the College of EHHD's website.

Q: Do I get my diploma at the ceremony?

No. Your diploma will be mailed to the permanent mailing address that you provided in MyInfo. You are responsible for providing the Registrar's Office (through MyInfo) with a correct postal address.

Q: I am not going to graduate the semester that I had stated on my form. Whom do I tell?

Inform your Academic Advisor as soon as possible if you intend to change your graduation term.  There is a form that must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office changing your graduation date.

top of page

Independent Study/Individual Problems

Q: What is an Independent Study/Individual Problems course?

An independent study is a course designed to allow a student to pursue directed study and/or research on an individual basis, under supervision of an instructor.

Q: When is an Independent Study/Individual Problems course appropriate?

An independent study is most appropriate when a student wishes to pursue directed study and/or research on an individual basis not otherwise available in a regularly scheduled course, under supervision of an instructor.  It is not intended to substitute for another course.

Q: How many credits of Independent Study/Individual Problems can count towards graduation?

MSU policy states that no more than six credits of independent study in each rubric will count toward graduation.

A credit is the unit used in computing the amount of work required for graduation.  One credit is equivalent to three hours of work each week for one semester.  One lecture hour assumes two hours of work outside of class. Therefore, you should expect to devote nine hours a week to earn three credits.

Q:  Can an Independent Study/Individual Problems course fulfill my Department of Education degree requirements?

Independent study courses may be applied to toward the elective credits requirement.

An independent study may not substitute for courses in the Education Curriculum.
Q: How do I register for an Independent Study/Individual Problems?

First, submit a written proposal to the sponsoring instructor describing the exact activities to be engaged in for the credits.  If approved, the proposal, along with a statement from the instructor explaining the assessment and grading methods, must be attached to a ‘Request for Individual Problems’ form available on the Registrar’s homepage under the student forms link. http://www.montana.edu/registrar/?9#top9

The form must be signed by the sponsoring instructor and by the Dean or Associate Dean of the College of Education, Health and Human Development, prior to submitting it to the Office of the Registrar.

Q:  Can an Independent Study/Individual Problems course apply towards my minor/option degree requirements?

Students pursuing a minor or option typically may not apply an independent study towards minor/option degree requirements.

top of page

Make-Up Exams

Q: How do I schedule a make-up exam?

You must speak to your instructor to make arrangements to take the exam. The instructor will then set up an date and time for the make-up exam. Please make every effort to arrive on time on the date scheduled. If a conflict arises and you cannot make the time and/or date scheduled, you must contact your instructor and make new arrangements. No drop-in testing services are available and students may be required to utilize the Testing Center in Reid 243.  A $5 fee is charged for tests administered through the Testing Center.

top of page

Probation and Suspension

Q: What is the difference between probation and suspension?

University academic performance standards are located on the web, http://www.montana.edu/wwwcat/academic/acad8.html .

Q: What does suspension mean?

When a student does not meet the academic performance standards set by the faculty at MSU, he or she may be suspended from the university. Students suspended for the first time, may not enroll at MSU for one academic term (fall/spring).  Students suspended for the second time may not enroll at MSU for one academic year.  Students suspended more than twice may only re-enroll at MSU if they submit a written appeal to the University Scholastic Appeals Board.

Q: When and how was I notified?

It is your responsibility to review your on-line transcript at the end of each term to determine his/her academic standing. Students will not receive written notification of probation or suspend warning. You will receive written notification of suspension; the letter is sent to the permanent address you have provided in MyInfo. It is your responsibility to keep your addresses updated on MyInfo.

Q: Can I appeal the suspension decision?

You may appeal the suspension decision if you believe there were extraordinary circumstances beyond your control of which the University Scholastic Appeals Board was unaware. You must complete the Scholastic Appeal Form and submit all the required documentation listed on the back of the appeal form. The written appeal is reviewed by the University Scholastic Appeal Board. Once the Board has made a decision, the finding will be sent to you and a copy will be put in your academic file. The decision of the USAB is final.

Q: When do I get reinstated?

Students suspended for the first time are automatically reinstated after one semester (excluding summer term) has elapsed. After a second suspension, one academic year must elapse before the student will be reinstated. Students returning to school after one or more semesters must submit an "Intent to Register" form to the Registrar's Office and meet with the Assistant Director of Student Services if a 'must' see form is issued by the Registrar's Office.

top of page


Q: How do I apply for a Department of Education Scholarship?

Applications for the Department of Education scholarships are accepted at the beginning Spring semester in January. To access the electronic scholarship application browse to the College of Education, Health and Human Development web site, www.montana.edu\ehhd  then look for the scholarship link.

Q: When is the scholarship application deadline?
The application deadline is the last working day of January by 5:00 p.m.  Anything received after this time by mail or any other means is considered late and will be marked as late.

Q: When will I hear back about my application?
You will be notified in early April regarding your scholarship application.

Q: How do I find out what scholarship, and the $ amount, I received?

Award winners are required to attend the scholarship banquet during which they will receive a letter providing the description and the amount of your scholarship award.

Q: How is my scholarship disbursed?

Your scholarship award will be posted by the financial aid office to your student fee account.

Q: Are entering Freshmen and transfer students eligible for Department of Education scholarships.

Yes, entering freshmen and transfer students are eligible for Department of Education scholarships if they meet the requirements for the scholarship AND meet the deadline requirements for the College of Education, Health and Human Development scholarships.

Q: What are the requirements to be eligible for a Department of Education scholarship?

Each scholarship includes unique eligibility criteria specified by the donor, but all scholarships include academic performance criteria.  Prospective scholarship candidates should carefully review the requirements for each scholarship prior to submitting their application(s).

top of page

Study Abroad, Education Programs

Q: Does the Education Department offer study abroad?

Yes.  There are currently two opportunities for multicultural experiences through the Department of Education.  One is Overseas Student Teaching and the second is the 2010 Jim Hauwiller Children’s University Project.  More information is available on the Education Advising Center website: www.montana.edu/ehhd/educ/advising.  Students may also take advantage of study abroad opportunities offered through International Programs.

Q: Does Financial Aid cover study abroad costs?

You should meet with the Financial Aid office to clarify if there are funds available to support an abroad experience.

top of page