Department of Education Discipline and Grievance Procedures for Students
The Department of Education is subject to the MSU Conduct Guidelines and Grievance Procedures for Students with respect to instructor and student responsibility, instructional complaints, academic misconduct, student academic grievance, and the student conduct code. These guidelines are available online at http://www2.montana.edu/policy/student_conduct/student_conduct_code.htm for faculty and student reference, and descriptions of appropriate procedure.
Professional Expectations for Prospective Teachers
The Department of Education expects students to meet the Department of Education’s Professional Expectations for Prospective Teachers. Students who fail to meet these expectations will receive a warning. Faculty members, field supervisors, or other clinical faculty may use the Department’s Student Concern Form to address such issues. Continued failure to meet the expectations may result in the student being placed on a Professional Improvement Plan as follows:
- The faculty member/supervisor identifies the concern, and associated remediation plan, on the Professional Improvement Plan Form.
- If agreement about the problem in need of remediation, or the manner in which the problem will be addressed, cannot be reached, the student may meet with:
- The Director of Field Placement & Licensure (in the case of concerns arising from field experience or student teaching experience), or
- The Education Department Head (in all other cases)
- The Department Head or Director of Field Placement & Licensure will issue a written confirmation of their decision for remediation.
- In the course of any Professional Improvement Plan, sanctions may be imposed by the Department Head (e.g. oral or written reprimand, special, additional or repeat assignments, lower or failing grade, or removal from the program). Decisions concerning any improvement plan, including sanctions, are subject to the Student Academic Grievance Procedure (sect. 500 of the conduct guidelines and grievance procedures for students) http://www2.montana.edu/policy/student_conduct/student_conduct_code.htm#academicgrievances
- Documentation of the Professional Improvement Plan is retained by the Department Head until the student’s graduation.
Request for Academic or Program Variance
Students who feel they have sufficient cause to request an Academic or Program Variance (e.g. a change in the minimum academic requirements for continuation in the program) may submit a Program Variance Form to the Director of Field Placement and Licensure. The request is reviewed by the Director and Department of Education Program Leaders. Program Leaders’ decisions are subject to the Student Academic Grievance Procedure (sect. 500 of the conduct guidelines and grievance procedures for students) http://www2.montana.edu/policy/student_conduct/student_conduct_code.htm#academicgrievances
Submission of General Complaints or Concerns
Students wishing to address non-instructional/academic issues may submit a General Complaints/Concerns Form to the Education Department Head. The Department Head will address the matters raised with the appropriate Department/College personnel and will advise the student of his or her determination regarding the complaint or concern within ten (10) working days. If the Department Head fails to act or the student is dissatisfied with the Department Head's action, the student may forward the complaint to the Dean of the College within five (5) working days of receipt of the Department Head's determination. The Dean's decision is the final decision of the University.
Quick links to Forms:
- Professional Expectations Form
- Student Concern Form
- Professional Improvement Plan Form
- Program Variance Form
- General Complaints or Concerns Form