Peer Partners are currently enrolled MSU students who support LIFE Scholars in both academics and campus engagement. Peer Partners work together with LIFE Scholars to help them succeed in their classes, get involved in the campus community and have a successful college experience!
As a Peer Partner, you will make new friends, broaden your campus involvement and gain valuable experience that will benefit you in both your personal and professional life.
All Peer Partners must complete an application, attend an interview and a minimum of one training session prior to being matched with a LIFE Scholar. Resources and ongoing support will be provided to ensure a successful partnership.
Peer Partners have the opportunity to support LIFE Scholars with academics and/or campus engagement.
A Peer Partner for academics:
- Attends class with a LIFE Scholar to assist with note taking, class participation, accessing class materials, asking questions and completing in-class assignments. (A Peer Partner can be a registered student in the class or just attend the class with a LIFE Scholar.)
- Supports the LIFE Scholar outside of class to organize materials, manage time, complete homework assignments, prepare for tests, etc.
- Time commitment: Approximately 3 hrs./week for one 3 credit class
A Peer Partner for campus engagement:
- Facilitates engagement in campus activities and university events (sporting events, movies, speakers, concerts, accessing clubs, etc.)
- Meets once a week to spend time together (work out at the gym, get coffee or lunch, play frisbee on the lawn, hang out in the SUB, etc.)
- Attends monthly LIFE Scholars sponsored events (pizza party, ropes course, bowling, etc.)
- Time commitment: Recommended minimum of 2 hrs./week