- The student-to-faculty ratio in MSU's College of Engineering is 14 to 1, so students
get individual attention from their professors.
- MSU is in the top 20 colleges and universities in the nation for its number of Goldwater
scholarship recipients, an award for excellence in math, science or engineering. As
of 2011, 53 MSU students have received the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship, the nation's
premier scholarship for undergraduates studying math, natural sciences and engineering.
- MSU students pass the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (required for all engineering
students) at a rate of 10 percentage points higher than the national average.
- All engineering and computer science programs offered by the College of Engineering
are accredited by one of the following ABET commissions: Engineering Accreditation
Commission, Technology Accreditation Commission, or Computing Accreditation Commission. Click here to learn why accreditation is valuable and important.
- The freshman class of 2011 had an average high school GPA of 3.4 and an average composite
ACT score of 25.2.
- Small-group freshman seminars help new students get off to a great start at MSU.
- College of Engineering students have internship opportunities in all engineering majors
we offer. Students earn while they learn and add impressive real-world experience
to their resumes.
- The college is home to more than 20 student organizations.
- With nearly $102.8 million in research expenditures for FY11, MSU is ranked by the
Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as one of the top 73 public research
universities in the country.
- The Western Transportation Institute, a College of Engineering research center, had
nearly $8.7 million in research expenditures in FY11 and is focused on rural transportation
- MSU is home of the Center for Biofilm Engineering, an internationally recognized center
working to find solutions to biofilm contaminations that cause problems ranging from
ear infections, tooth plaque, and infection around medical implants, to corroding
pipes and environmental pollution.
- Students have participated in research efforts to reduce rejection of medical implants,
understand the dynamics of avalanches, protect wildlife habitat intersected by roads,
study Earth with lasers and satellites, and harness the power of microbes in Yellowstone's
In Job Placement:
- 100% of Computer Science graduates who seek positions in industry have employment
offers prior to graduation.
- MSU is the second largest supplier of Engineering graduates to Boeing and we rank
among the top sources of engineering graduates for 3M and Tektronix.
- A member of the College's Advisory Council characterizes MSU's graduates as "agile
and shovel ready."