The Office of Activities & Engagement (OAE) staff is committed to supporting restorative community service among students facing disciplinary measures. We facilitate these students giving back to the community in the following ways:
- Receive referrals of students from the Dean of Students office and the Residence Life system for whom service hours are an appropriate form of restorative justice.
- Meet with students individually and design a service plan based on the number of hours of service assigned by the Conduct Officer/RD and the deadline set to have hours completed. In consultation with the OAE, the student will determine the community organizations with which they want to become involved.
- Facilitate the initial contact between the student and the community organization by providing contact information to the student.
- The student will be held responsible to follow their service plan and communicate with the OAE and community organizations if, for any reason, they are not able to fulfill a commitment.
- The OAE staff will facilitate a brief reflective discussion with the student before releasing them from their service commitment.
- The student is responsible to document and get verifying signatures from site supervisors for all hours served and is responsible to bring the completed timesheet(s) to OAE no later than the deadline set by their Conduct Officer/RD to complete the service hours.
- The OAE is committed to supporting student service experiences that are fulfilling and successful.
Should you choose to contact a Community Organization to complete your service, please refer to the email template above. Professional writing involves the use of clear language to convey information in a way that is easily understood by the intended audience. Using proper grammar and punctuation is essential.