Service Saturdays are local service projects held on the first Saturday of the month offering a great way for community members and students to create relationships while working to enhance Bozeman. They are coordinated and sponsored by MSU’s Office of Activities and Engagement and supported by MSU Parent Family Association. Projects will vary from month to month, so please check back for upcoming project details.
For Interested Nonprofits
If you are interested in hosting a group of Service Saturday volunteers on the dates listed below, please fill out a Service Saturday Project Proposal. If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 994-6902.
For Interested Students:
Spring 2015 Schedule:
- February 7, 2015
- April 11, 2015
February 7th Project Descriptions
- Good Neighbor Bags Distribution- 10am-12pm- Students will deliver Good Neighbor Bags to a designated neighborhood in Bozeman by placing a canvas tote bag at the front door of residences within the neighborhood. Approximately 500 bags will be delivered.
- Gallatin Rest Home- 10am-12pm- Students will help to facilitate a Spelling Bee with residents of Gallatin Rest Home.
- Valentine's Day Card Decorating-On campus-10am-12pm- Volunteers will make Valentine's Day cards for seniors. The cards will be distributed
in the Gallatin Valley Food Bank Senior Groceries.
February 7th will have three long projects:
- Reach Inc.-LONG PROJECT-Lunch Provided-10am-2pm- Reach Inc. is holding its 4th annual Have a Heart Auction and students will help to transport tables, chairs, and art to the event location from the Reach Work center. Volunteers will also help set up all art, lighting, and the stage area.
- Habitat for Humanity of Gallatin Valley-LONG PROJECT-Lunch Provided-10am-2pm- Students will help to re-organize the ReStore by moving shelves around, re-organizing displays, moving appliances, hardware, and other items to make room for new objects that are coming to the store.
- Sacks of Belgrade-LONG PROJECT-Lunch Provided-10am-2pm- Students will help in various housekeeping and organizing tasks at Sacks of Belgrade, including hanging winter clothes, sorting donations, moving items around, and packing things for storage.
Meet: Near Ask-Us Desk in Strand Union Building (SUB)
Time: 10am-12pm. Registration begins at 9:30, plan to arrive around this time.
Transportation: Will be provided if the service site is not within walking distance of MSU.
What to bring/wear:
- Please wear comfortable clothing that can get dirty
- Wear close-toed shoes as some projects may be manual labor
- Bring water/snacks or other items you may need
Contact: email@example.com or 994-6902 with questions.
No registration is necessary, just come and bring your friends!
Note: If you are under 18, you must have a parent or legal guardian sign our Liability Waiver before participating. Please contact us.
What our participants have to say about Service Saturdays:
"Service Saturdays are a fantastic opportunity to get out there, get involved, and help out the community. They make it so easy, all you have to do is show up with willing hands!"
"If you prefer sleeping in on a Saturday, you've obviously never been to a Service Saturday."
"I like helping people, so this is a perfect way to keep the motivation going!"
"Service Saturdays make volunteering so much fun!"
“Service Saturdays helped me get in tune with the community and not feel so out of place when I came to college!”
"Service Saturdays are a great way to start the weekend! You get to help others and it's not even noon yet!"
"Service Saturday was a great way to connect with other students while helping out the community! I am more aware of the needs of people in the area and hope to serve them more in the future."
"I love that Service Saturdays connect volunteers with places that need help; all we have to do is show up!"
"Service Saturdays are a great way to spend your Saturday morning helping your community out!"
"Service Saturday is a great way to get involved within the community trying all kinds of different activities to help out. It’s a very rewarding experience."
What our Service Sites have to say:
This was our 3rd time using "The Service Saturday" group. If they were not awesome
they would not have been asked for after the first time.
-Habitat for Humanity
“You guys were great-went above and beyond! Service like this means so much for the Children's Museum of Bozeman!” – Children’s Museum."
“The Service Saturday group is a wonderful group of young adults to work with. They are always so willing to do whatever we ask them to do. We will definitely keep asking them back!”- Cancer Support Community
“Awesome group, would highly recommend them to work with anyone in the future!” – Emerson Cultural Center
“I am so grateful for the service Saturday volunteers! Without them, we could not have accomplished this needed renovation! Thank You!”
"The Help Center Volunteers went above and beyond, tackling complex projects with terrific attitudes and staying late to make sure tasks were completed." – Children’s Museum