How do I register a club?
Student Organizations must re-register their club every academic year. If you were a registered student organization in 2013-2014, your recognition status is active until September 30th, 2014. You may register your organization to gain 2014-2015 recognition by filling out the application found here. Applications will be available in August.
How do I start a new club?
We encourage the formation of new clubs and have a whole page dedicated to just this! Find it here.
Is there funding available for student organizations?
Yes! Every student pays $6.20/semester as part of their student fees. This goes into the Student Organization Fee which is comprised of two pots of money, Mass Funding and Rolling Funding. Mass Funding is given out in the spring for clubs to spend the next academic year. Rolling Funding is allocated on an ongoing basis throughout the academic year. The Student Organization Funding Board is comprised of three ASMSU Senators and two students at large. They make all funding decisions. Only registered student organizations in good standing are eligible to request funding from the Student Organization fee.
How do I apply for funding?
Visit our Funding Page to find out more and to download an application. Please note the weekly deadlines for Rolling Funding.
What kind of things can we request funding for?
The Funding Board may fund:
- Travel to and from conferences and competitions related to the registered student organization purposes;
- Registration fees for activities, events or conferences;
- Educational programs;
- Support for organizational operations such as publicity, office supplies, and activities of the registered student organization ;
- Movies/films to be shown publicly or to advance the purpose of the registered student organization ;
- Speakers/lectures ;
- Recognition banquets ;
- Other activities consistent with the mission of the registered student organization and MSU.
Why does your office need original receipts from us for the money we’ve been allocated?
Funding is granted on a reimbursement basis. This means you will front the funds and then get reimbursed with the granted funds. Unfortunately, we cannot write your club a check for the amount you were allocated! We must follow all MSU University Business Services policies and guidelines, which includes documentation of expenses, and original, itemized receipts are all that the Business Office will accept from us. We will make a copy of the receipt(s) for you when we take your originals.
How do I find an advisor for my club?
An advisor is an important person in a successful student organization. We require your advisor is a staff or faculty member employed by MSU at least half-time. If your group has a specific interest area, start looking in departments that may align with that interest (such as a food club, look in the Nutrition program). You can also ask your professors and any staff you already have connections with about their interest in advising your group. If they don’t want to be your advisor, they may know of someone who does. You can also contact us and we can help get the word out that you are looking for an advisor.
Why can’t we use the MSU/Bobcat name at the beginning of our club name?
The name, logos, and team name (“Bobcats”) are registered and protected trademarks of Montana State University which may not be used without the express permission of Montana State University. This policy helps to ensure immediate recognition, the maintenance of appropriateness, and the prevention of commercial use without compensation to the University. Student Organizations are not official groups endorsed by MSU and therefore are not able to use the name. If you want more detailed information, please refer to official policy found on this page.
Do you have sandwich boards for us to use?
Yes! We have four of them available. Please stop by our office in 222 SUB or email us to reserve. firstname.lastname@example.org
How can we hang posters?
All Registered Student Organizations are eligible to use the free poster delivery service through the Office of Activities and Engagement. Please view our Poster Policy found here.
How can we have access to storage for our club?
Lockers for club storage are located on the 3rd floor landing of the SUB on the north and south side of the building.The locker dimensions are 12” x 15” x 36”. If your club is interested in securing locker space, please contact Mandy St. Aubyn at email@example.com.
We need a mailbox for our club, how do we request that?
There are mailboxes available to student organizations on the lower level of the SUB, near the Leadership Institute and Financial Aid Office. If your club is interested in securing a mailbox, please contact Mandy St. Aubyn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our club is traveling, what do we need to do for that?
You must fill out the student organization travel forms, which can be found here.
How do we reserve a vehicle from Enterprise?
First, if your club plans to travel, you must fill out the Student Organization Travel Forms, found here. How to rent from Enterprise is found on that page as well.
How do we find more people to join our club?
There are a variety of ways to recruit new members. Here are a few ways:
- Participate in the Involvement Fair, held bi-annually (typically in September and January), by the Office of Activities and Engagement. Find out more information here.
- Start a Facebook page! The power of social media is incredible!
- You can table in the SUB (reserved through Conference Services) and the Residence Halls (find out how to reserve space on our resources page).
- Print posters. Our office will distribute these if you bring them to us in 222 SUB by the set weekly deadline. Please drop off an original to be pre-approved before printing. Our poster policy can be found here.
- Hold an “interest” meeting.
- Have a “bring a friend” meeting and a reward for those who do.
- Have food at your meetings and advertise you are doing so.
- If you want more ideas on how to advertise your event or to recruit more members, we have an Event Planning 101 resource that includes how to advertise. Find that on our resources page.
- Ask your professors if you can speak in your classes about your organization and how to join.
- Keep talking about your club! Word of mouth cis one of the most powerful marketing tools around!
How does my organization reserve space to meet or have an information table?
Registered Student Organizations have the privilege of utilizing campus space to conduct meetings and hold events. Visit this section of our manual to learn how.