Montana State University

Student Organization Funding

The Office of Activities & Engagement (OAE) in conjunction with the Student Organization Funding Board (SOFB) distributes funds collected by the Student Organization Fee to registered student organizations for the purpose of supporting programs, projects, and events that help the organizations succeed in meeting their goals and foster positive student development.

Announcements General InformationTypes of FundingFunding Policies

Funding BoardHelpful DocumentsApplication TipsFAQ's

Mass FundingRolling FundingMatch Funding


Catapalooza Funding:

Download a Catapalooza Funding Application Here. Application deadline is August 15th at 5pm.

The OAE and Student Organization Funding Board understands clubs who are returning to campus to start a new school year may wish to participate in Catapalooza but may not have the funds to purchase some key items to make it a successful recruitment opportunity.  We are allowing registered clubs who do not have mass funding for next year to apply for UP TO $100 to cover Catapalooza essentials.  Those with 14-15 Mass Funding are ineligible to apply, as they can use their allocated Mass funds on Catapalooza supplies if needed.

General information regarding Registered Student Organization Funding:

  • Every student pays $6.35/semester as part of their student fees.  This goes into the Student Organization Fee which is comprised of two pots of money, Mass Funding and Rolling Funding.
  • Every spring, 2/3 of this money is allocated in the Mass Funding cycle for student organizations to utilize in the following academic year (i.e. 2013-2014). Applications for Mass Funding will come out in the spring. You must secure Rolling Funding (either this year or in the past) in order to be eligible to apply for Mass Funding allocated in the spring.
  • 1/3 remains to be allocated in the Rolling Funding cycle during the academic year.
  • Your student organization MUST be currently registered as a student organization with the Office of Activities and Engagement BEFORE you submit your funding application.  This is an annual registration process.  If your group has not registered yet this academic year, find an application HERE
  • If money is remaining at the end of the fiscal year, a Matching Fund may be established.

Types of Funding





Total Money Available in 2014-2015




How divided



Remaining from Previous Year

Application Deadline

March of every year

Weekly deadline

Weekly deadline

Maximum Request Amount

No maximum, $1,000 minimum

$1,000 Maximum

Up to $500, must commit to raise $500

How often Apply

Once in the spring

Maximum of twice in an academic year. (i.e. you can ask for $300 in November and then $700 in March).  Cannot exceed $1,000 total over the year.

Once during the academic year.

When use money

Use in the NEXT academic year it was allocated. (i.e. if you are allocated money in the spring of 2013, you can start spending that money July 1, 2013)

Use within the academic year it was allocated. (i.e. if you were allocated money in Oct., 2013 you have until June 20th, 2014 to spend)

Same as Rolling

Eligibility to apply

  • Must be a current registered student organization
  • Have received funding in the past.
  • Must be a current registered student organization
  • NOT received Mass funding the previous spring.
  • Must be a current registered student organization
  • Clubs who currently have funding (Mass or Rolling) are eligible to apply.


2013-2014 RSO Funding Policies

Student Organization Funding Board:

Staff Advisor: Mandy St. Aubyn
Funding Assistant: Katrina Wilhelm


Common Campus Expenses Document

Tips & Tricks

  • Please download this helpful handout on good vs. bad budgets!
  • It is highly recommended your club plans well in advance and have time to send your application to the Office of Activities & Engagement for review before final submission.  You can email your application to Mandy at   The OAE is your resource, use them!
  • DO NOT GUESS on your budgets! Please call vendors, businesses or on-campus offices to acquire estimates. Do your research!  We have a Common Campus Expenses document to help you save time and energy.
  • Be thorough and have others look over your document. The Funding Board wants quality applications and an incomplete application will hinder your chances of receiving funding.
  • To help you brainstorm, below are typical account categories and types of expense:
    Expenditure Account Categories
    Professional Services – Contracts with recognized professionals such as lawyers, doctors, consultants, independent contractors, athletic officials, etc. - including travel, meals, and lodging for these professionals.
    Security – When required to hire security for event management.
    Educational Supplies - Any supplies, materials, or meals relating to the education of students.  This may include meals during meetings with guest speakers or supplies for club projects that promote specific areas of study for students.
    Tools & Equipment – Any tools or equipment purchased for the student organization costing less than $1,000.00.
    General Supplies – Any non-program specific materials or supplies for club programs (may include fundraising), also includes uniforms, office supplies, etc.
    Printing – Posters and printing at Copy Cats.
    Postage & Mailing – Includes Federal Express, and UPS.
    Advertising – Expenses for marketing and advertising events and/or recruiting.  Includes all forms of advertising; such as, radio, and online. 
    Travel – In-state or out-of-state travel expenses for students; including hotel, gas, meals, and flight expenses.
    Equipment Rental – Any rented tools or equipment to be used for organization’s events or programs.
    Building Rent – Any expenses for property rental; including University property, and sports arenas/fields. 
    Dues – Includes all expenses for membership in organizations, associations, and societies.
    Registration Fees – All registration costs to attend a conference, meeting, or competition.
    Entertainment – Any costs relating to recreational events for students and the student organization.  This may include retreats, dinners, materials and supplies, and services for the event.

Funding FAQ's

Does my club qualify for Mass Funding?
If your answer is yes to the following, then you qualify:

  • Current registered student organization
  • Have received funding (either Rolling or Mass) in the past (if you are unsure, contact OAE)

Does my club qualify for Rolling Funding?
If your answer is yes to the following, then you qualify:

  • Current registered student organization
  • Did not receive Mass funding this past spring
  • Have not received Rolling funding yet this academic year

Does my club qualify for Match Funding?
If your answer is yes to the following, then you qualify:

  • Current registered student organization
  • Have received funding (either Rolling or Mass) in the past (if you are unsure, contact OAE), even this academic year.

How many times during an academic year can we receive funding?
Once.  Only one funding application will be accepted each academic year from a single registered Student Organization. For example, you may not submit one Rolling Funding application for $500 and a second application for a second $500 thus totaling the maximum allocation of $1,000. Please anticipate your needs over the course of the academic year and submit a single application.  If you are denied Rolling Funding, you may re-apply as many times as you would like until you receive funding.  If you are denied Mass Funding, you may apply for Rolling Funding in the fall.

Who decides which clubs receive money?
The Registered Student Organization Funding Board decides which clubs receive money.  This board is comprised of 3 ASMSU Senators and 2 students at large.  The ASMSU Senate VP chairs the board and a staff member from OAE serves as advisor.

How much money can we request?
You may request UP TO $1,000 for Rolling Funding.  Mass Funding doesn’t have a maximum, you just must request more than $1,000. Matching is up to $500.

What types of things can we ask for?
Please review the Funding Policies document to review what you may and may not request funds for.

Can we ask for money for food?
New guidelines set forth by the Funding Board for the 2013-2014 academic year do not allow clubs to apply for over $75 on food at general club meetings. This excludes events, fundraisers, etc.

Where does the student organization money come from?
Every student pays $6.35/semester as part of their student fees. This goes into the Student Organization Fee which is comprised of two pots of money, Mass Funding and Rolling Funding. Matching fund comes from any money leftover from the previous year.

What if we don’t get our application in by the weekly deadline?
If you miss the Mass Funding deadline (only one date set in the spring), you will need to wait until the next spring to apply.  If you miss the weekly deadline for Rolling Funding, get your application in by the next week.  Reminder you must get your application in AT LEAST 2 weeks before your funding need.

My club was allocated money, now what?
You will need to meet with an OAE representative to learn how to spend your money.  Contact  We also have a page with resources for clubs who have received funding. Please bookmark for your reference!