Groups that want to be recognized as an official Registered Student Organization at MSU, must complete the registration process once per academic year. Complete the online registration process:
Officer Update Sheet: Please complete this if you have new leadership during the academic year after your club has already registered.
In order for the Office of Activities & Engagement (OAE) to register a student group, the following minimum standards must be met:
1. Have a clearly defined purpose/mission.
2. Submit an updated and complete registration application (link found at the top of this page) annually (RSO status is good until Sept. 30 of the following academic year). Completion of the application does not guarantee registration approval.
3. All executive positions (President ,VP, etc.) must be held by currently enrolled MSU-Bozeman students. No non-students can hold these positions.
4. Minimum of 10 members is required, 80% of your overall membership MUST be currently enrolled students of MSU-Bozeman. Please note, however, that if your group is a club sport and will utilize University athletic space, all members must be registered, fee-paying students. If they are not students, they must purchase an athletic pass through Intramurals. Please contact Campus Recreation at 994-5000 for more information.
5. Your organization must have a designated staff or faculty advisor who is employed by MSU at least part-time.
6. The group may not exist to make a profit of any kind.
7. Comply with University policies and regulations pertaining to organizations, including contents of the Registered Student Organization Manual.
If you do not meet these criteria, please begin registration when your club does.
How to Become a Registered Student Organization
1. Submit a completed RSO application form found at the top of this page.
2. Please allow up to 3 working days for the OAE office to process and approve the registration. OAE will send an RSO confirmation email to the listed president that your group is registered and also attach an official “RSO Letter” that you can use as proof of registration. Your RSO Letter is your group’s "identification" for free room use in the Strand Union (as long as your group is NOT charging an entry fee or taking up donations or dues on a regular basis), court and field reservations for athletic organizations, and advertising space.
3. Visit: www.montana.edu/engagement to see your RSO listed!
New Student Organizations
We have a whole page dedicated to new student organizations, please CLICK HERE.