Resources and Training
- Beginning of Year Checklist
- Upcoming Trainings
- Student Organizations Catering Menu
- General Resources
- Advertising Resources
- MSU Alumni Foundation Guidelines
- Club Documents
- Register your club! If you were a 2015-2016 registered club, you will want to register by September 30th.
- Reserve meeting space for the semester or year.
- Meet with your advisor and leadership team to talk about the year ahead.
- Attend the Involvement Fair to recruit new members. Held in Fall and Spring.
- Register a minimum of one student leader for the Student Organization Leadership Conference.
- Select Club Officers (if didn’t do in Spring)
- Check your SUB mailbox (if your club has one) for mail from the summer. Unsure how to access? Contact OSE.
- Review the financial status of your club. Apply for Student Organization Funding. Start planning fundraisers, if necessary.
- Ensure the correct people have access to your club bank account.
- Take a look around this website to learn about the online resources and trainings the OSE offers.
Questions? Need some help? Contact us!
Club Trainings & Workshops:
- October 25th, 12-1pm, Club Finding Info Session, SUB 236
- October 26th, 12-1:30pm, Advisor Orientation, SUB 233
- November 15th, 5-7pm, Club Training, SUB 233
- November 16th, 4-5pm, Club Funding Info Session, SUB 236
2016-2017 Clery Training for Club Advisors:
- October 12th, 9-10am, SUB 235
- November 29th, 3-4pm, SUB 168
- January 25th, 12-1pm, SUB 233
- March 23rd, 3-4pm, SUB 168
New Student Organization Orientation:
*We are happy to set up New Student Organization Orientations by appointment. Email
Mandy at firstname.lastname@example.org to set-up.
MSU Catering has graciously created a catering menu with student group prices! If what you are looking for isn't on the student group menu, your club can automatically receive 10% off their regular menu.
DOWNLOAD Student Group Menu
- Leader Transition Checklist: This document will help clubs going through a leadership transition or to prepare for one.
- Event Planning 101: This document helps lay out the pieces of event planning, including advertising and venues.
- Effective Meetings: How to plan and execute meetings that are meaningful and efficient. Handout provided by Don Greer.
- Advisor Agreement Worksheet: This worksheet can be a means of communicating expectations of the organization-advisor relationship.
- Officer Update: Please complete this if you have new leadership during the academic year after your club has already registered.
- Student Organization Tax Guidance: This document helps student organizations understand if they need to file for taxes or not, including how to become a non-profit.
- How to obtain a Tax ID Number: This document walks you through how to request a Tax ID (or EIN) for your club in order to set up a bank account.
Use to learn about avenues to advertise on and off-campus for your club, event or program.
The OSE recently secured space in the SUB Union Marketplace for digital signage (TV). This space will be reserved for OSE events/programs and REGISTERED Student Organizations. Keep in mind the following policies:
- JPEG or PNG only files will be accepted. Landscape ONLY!
- Minimum dimensions: 1600 x 725 px
- Submissions can be submitted by filling out this FORM.
- Submission does not guarantee approval. Approval is at the sole discretion of the OSE.
- If approved, please allow three working days for the OSE to include the submission in the signage rotation.
- Submissions making any mention of, or inference to alcohol, drugs, or tobacco either implied or explicit, will not be approved.
- Posters which contain nudity, foul language, or a message degrading to others, either implicitly or explicitly, based on race, gender, religion, disability, gender identity or sexual orientation or otherwise in violation of the University non-discrimination policies will not be approved.
- Submissions will remain on the digital display for a maximum of 7 days or 1 day after the event.
- Submissions for reoccurring events and meetings can only be submitted once a semester.
OAE Poster Policy
All Registered Student Organizations have access to the free poster delivery service through the Office of Student Engagement. Please click on the link to learn about the policies. Spring 2016 Weekly Deadline: Tuesdays at 4pm. Note: We will not hang posters during the summer months or during university breaks. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Solicitation/Advertising in Residence Halls:
Please visit the MSU Residence Life website for more information on soliciting and advertising in the halls. CLICK HERE
We are excited to announce a new partnership we have formed with the MSU Alumni Foundation. The Foundation will now receive charitable contributions on behalf of registered student organizations. As most of our student clubs are not non-profit organizations, this service is provided to help registered student organizations receive donations from funders who desire or require donations be made through a non-profit entity. Donors who make contributions in support of a qualified registered student organization through the MSU Alumni Foundation will be provided with the appropriate document to substantiate the tax deductibility of the contribution
Please read the guidelines above THOROUGHLY if you plan to utilize this new option.
There are a few student organizations that are not eligible to use this program due to the nature of the club, so please review these guidelines carefully to determine if your club is or is not a fit.
Learn from other successful clubs at MSU!
Network of Environmentally Conscious Organizations (NECO)