Resources and Training
- Beginning of Year Checklist
- Upcoming Trainings
- Student Organizations Catering Menu
- General Resources
- Tax ID and Filing Guidance
- MSU Alumni Foundation Guidelines
- Club Documents
- Register your club!
- Reserve meeting space for the semester or year.
- Meet with your advisor and leadership team to talk about the year ahead.
- Attend the Involvement Fair to recruit new members. Held in Fall and Spring.
- Register a minimum of one student leader for the Student Organization Leadership Conference.
- Select Club Officers (if didn’t do in Spring)
- Check your SUB mailbox (if your club has one) for mail from the summer. Unsure how to access? Contact OSE.
- Review the financial status of your club. Apply for Student Organization Funding. Start planning fundraisers, if necessary.
- Ensure the correct people have access to your club bank account.
- Take a look around this website to learn about the online resources and trainings the OSE offers.
Questions? Need some help? Contact us!
Club Trainings & Workshops:
- February 28th, 6-8pm, SUB 233 -- Conflict Resolution
- March 22nd, 5:30-7:30pm, SUB 235 -- Leadership Transitions
- April 5th, 5:30-7:30pm, SUB 233 -- Recruitment, Recognition, and Retention, partnered with the Leadership Institute
2016-2017 Clery Training for Club Advisors:
- March 23rd, 3-4pm, SUB 168
New Student Organization Orientation:
*We are happy to set up New Student Organization Orientations by appointment. Email
us at firstname.lastname@example.org to set-up.
MSU Catering has graciously created a catering menu with student group prices! If what you are looking for isn't on the student group menu, your club can automatically receive 10% off their regular menu.
DOWNLOAD Student Group Menu
- Leader Transition Checklist: This document will help clubs going through a leadership transition or to prepare for one.
- Event Planning 101: This document helps lay out the pieces of event planning, including advertising and venues.
- Event Planning Contact Sheet: This document lists the contact information of the people you may need to plan your next event.
- Effective Meetings: How to plan and execute meetings that are meaningful and efficient. Handout provided by Don Greer.
- Advisor Agreement Worksheet: This worksheet can be a means of communicating expectations of the organization-advisor relationship.
- Officer Update: Please complete this if you have new leadership during the academic year after your club has already registered.
- Student Organization Tax Guidance: This document helps student organizations understand if they need to file for taxes or not, including how to become a non-profit.
- How to obtain a Tax ID Number: This document walks you through how to request a Tax ID (or EIN) for your club in order to set up a bank account.
We are excited to announce a new partnership we have formed with the MSU Alumni Foundation. The Foundation will now receive charitable contributions on behalf of registered student organizations. As most of our student clubs are not non-profit organizations, this service is provided to help registered student organizations receive donations from funders who desire or require donations be made through a non-profit entity. Donors who make contributions in support of a qualified registered student organization through the MSU Alumni Foundation will be provided with the appropriate document to substantiate the tax deductibility of the contribution
Please read the guidelines above THOROUGHLY if you plan to utilize this new option.
There are a few student organizations that are not eligible to use this program due to the nature of the club, so please review these guidelines carefully to determine if your club is or is not a fit.
Student Organization Leadership Conference Session Handouts/Presentations
Creating an Inclusive Organization
Understanding Your Leadership Personality
Goleman's Six Leadership Styles
What's with the games?
Why won't they do what I want?
Top 10 Policies to Know
Learn from other successful clubs at MSU!
Network of Environmentally Conscious Organizations (NECO)