OAE supports and encourages the formation of new clubs or re-activating previously registered organizations. We understand the barriers that may be involved in this process, so we are here to help!
If your club meets the requirements listed below, you can start the online registration found HERE.
Criteria to become a recognized club:
In order for the Office of Activities & Engagement (OAE) to register a student group, the following minimum standards must be met:
1. Have a clearly defined purpose/mission.
2. Submit an updated and complete registration application (link found at the top of this page) annually (RSO status is good until Sept. 30 of the following academic year). Completion of the application does not guarantee registration approval.
3. All executive positions (President ,VP, etc.) must be held by currently enrolled MSU-Bozeman students. No non-students can hold these positions.
4. Minimum of 10 members is required, 80% of your overall membership MUST be currently enrolled students of MSU-Bozeman. Please note, however, that if your group is a club sport and will utilize University athletic space, all members must be registered, fee-paying students. If they are not students, they must purchase an athletic pass through Intramurals. Please contact Campus Recreation at 994-5000 for more information.
5. Your organization must have a designated staff or faculty advisor who is employed by MSU at least part-time.
6. The group may not exist to make a profit of any kind.
7. Comply with University policies and regulations pertaining to organizations, including contents of the Registered Student Organization Manual.
Things to keep in mind when starting a new club:
- Please view the current registered student organizations as well as last year's to verify there isn't already an existing club that is either exactly what you want to start or very similar.
- If you want to start a club that is only slightly different than an existing club, please keep in mind the recruitment barriers that may arise due to that factor.
- Please review the registered student organization criteria and application process to decide if you want to move forward with starting a new club and the steps involved.
How the Office of Activities & Engagement can help:
If you do not have the minimum of 10 members to start (or re-start an inactive group) a new student organization, OAE can help!
- OAE will help you schedule a meeting room in the SUB in order for you to hold an interest meeting.
- If you produce a flyer advertising your interest meeting and drop the original with us, we will make 40 copies of it and post it in academic buildings on campus. This will only be done one time by OAE. Please view our poster policies before printing.
- If you receive enough members to start a group, then you can start the registration process.
- You can attend the bi-annual Involvement Fair to generate more interest. Please contact us or visit the Involvement Fair section of the website to learn more.
If you are unable to find a faculty or staff advisor, we can help advertise your need.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get started!