Registered Student Organizations are allowed to travel as part of an organization-related trip anywhere off-campus.  Due to the inherent risks associated with travel of any kind, OSE requires student organizations to complete travel forms PRIOR to traveling.  Please submit the forms below no fewer than 10 days prior to the travel date.  This is for DOMESTIC travel only.  CLICK HERE to learn more about International Travel.

Travel Forms

Master Travel Form: This should be filled out by the trip coordinator or organizer. Only one of these needs to be submitted per trip.  

Participant Travel FormEach traveling participant must complete at least 10 days prior to departure.  If you are traveling multiple times throughout the year, you only need to complete this ONCE per academic year.  If you are unsure if you have completed, email us.


Registered Student Organizations are upheld to these policies:

Renting Vehicles through Enterprise

Enterprise Rates through MSU contract:

Car Class



1 month

















Mid-Size Hybrid








Sm/Med SUV




Large SUV




Premium SUV




Small Truck




Large Truck




Cargo Van








12 Passenger Van





Reserving Enterprise vehicles through OSE

Registered student organization are eligible to rent through the contract MSU has with Enterprise. Anyone 18 years and older, with a valid drivers license, are able to drive these vehicles.  Please NOTE: The list of vehicle prices include 12-passenger vans, HOWEVER, MSU students are not allowed to travel in vehicles larger than 10-passenger.

  • Funded Clubs (through the student organization fee):
    • RESERVE through OSE.
    • Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) and $1 Million Combined Single Limit (CSL) Liability is included in the rates.  There are contract exclusions if used in inappropriate ways.
    • Eligible for campus vehicle delivery.
  • Non-Funded Clubs
    • Can contact Enterprise (Main St. Location) directly at 586-8010.
    • Give contract number:  63MSU01 (will get MSU contract pricing)
    • Not eligible for any liability coverage/collision, can purchase from Enterprise if wish.
    • Must pick-up and drop-off Enterprise location, not eligible for campus delivery.
    • Drivers must be 21 years old or older.

Personal Vehicle Use

  • Clubs are also able to use personal vehicles, however, will not have any liability coverage.  Personal car insurance will be solely responsible.
  • All policies and registering club travel still applies.


Gas Cards

Student organizations with funding for travel are eligible to check-out gas cards from OSE with personal OR Enterprise vehicles.

RESERVE through OSE.

Driver Training

If your organization is driving a rented Enterprise vehicle and you are a driver, you are welcome to take the online defensive driving course, however, it is NOT mandatory. 

Online Defensive Driving Training Instructions:

*If you have taken either the 15-passenger van training, driver safety for campuses, Defensive Driving DDC-4, the online defensive driving (for 7-10 passenger), or another approved defensive driving course WITHIN the last 3 years, you DO NOT need to take the training again.  Please contact Mandy at and she will verify if you have completed this training.

Must complete EITHER the online or classroom, do not need to complete both.

PLEASE NOTE:  You will need to be on a computer with speakers (or headphone capability).  You will need to finish the training all at once, as there is no way to log back in to the system.

  1.  Go to:
    1. Username:  6450632  
    2. Password:  59718
  1. On the left side, click on “Workplace Safety”
  1. Click on "Defensive Driving for Noncommercial Motorists" the 15th course down
  1. Register yourself for the training.
    1. First = First Name
    2. Last = Last Name
    3. Title=student (or staff position)
    4. Campus=Bozeman
    5. Department=Activities & Engagement
    6. Student/Employee = Your designation
  2. Hit the Login button. 
  3. Click on the “Start Training” button.  It should take about 30 minutes. 
  1. Please download and read the “MUS Board of Regents Vehicle Policy & Procedures” BEFORE taking the course.  It will not let you begin the course without doing this.
  2. Continue to training
  3. You must obtain an 80% or higher (no more than 2/10 questions incorrect) on the quiz at the end to pass this course.  If you do not pass, please review the slides again and retake the quiz until you reach 80%.
  4. Once you have completed the course and passed the quiz you will receive an email with a link to your training certificate.  You can also choose “generate certificate.”

Register for a course at:

Travel Verification Letters

The Office of Student Engagement (OSE) can provide a letter sent to you via email verifying your registered student organization travel that you can then provide to faculty IF YOUR TRAVEL IS CONFLICTING WITH ACADEMIC/COURSE OBLIGATIONS.   You MUST have submitted your participant travel forms (found at top of this page) BEFORE requesting this.

These letters will include:

  • Travel dates as have been provided to OSE on travel forms;

  • A statement that OSE can verify this as legitimate student organization travel;

The letter will be an electronic document that you can then either print and hand deliver to faculty members or could be emailed too one or more faculty members. Letters WILL NOT ask faculty to excuse students from class or class work, nor will these letters provide any sort of an endorsement of the club activity, they will merely be verifying the information that you, as a traveler have already provided to the faculty member verbally. These letters SHOULD NOT BE THE FIRST TIME ANY FACULTY MEMBER HAS HEARD ABOUT YOUR TRAVEL AND THE CONFLICT WITH THEIR COURSE. You should have spoken with them about the situation prior to providing this letter of verification

Decisions to excuse absences and/or allow for exceptions to be made to assignment due dates are at each, individual faculty members discretion and no letter generated by the OSE guarantees any particular outcome to these negotiations between students and faculty members.

The OSE must have also received the MASTER TRAVEL FORM (submitted by your trip coordinator) before they will issue these letters. Link to this is found at the top of this page.

To request a letter be generated and emailed to you, please SUBMIT THIS FORM NO LATER THAN 5 days before departure. Any letter requests submitted outside the 5 day window will not be accommodated.

International Travel

Student Organizations are required to register their travel with the Office of International Programs NO LATER THAN 60 DAYS PRIOR TO DEPARTURE.  CLICK HERE to find the forms and requirements needed (use the Group International Travel section).  Please also be aware of the University International Travel Policy.  

Club Travel FAQs

If we rent through Enterprise, where do we pick up the vehicle?
OSE will let you know where after you reserve, most likely the Enterprise location on Main Street.

Can clubs use the gas cards with Enterprise rentals AND personal vehicles?
Clubs who have student organization funding for club travel are eligible to use the gas cards with both.

If renting from Enterprise, do we need to return the vehicle full of gas?  
No, unless you wish to. The gas will just be added to your bill if you don't.

The rates have prices for 12-passenger vans, can clubs rent them?
No! MSU students are not allowed to travel in vehicles larger than 10-passenger.  SUVs and Vans hold 7 people total and are the largest vehicles in the Enterprise fleet available to MSU students.

How old do students need to be to drive?
18 years and older with a valid driver’s license.

Can non-MSU people travel in and/or drive the Enterprise vehicle?
No, unless they are a coach (paid or volunteer).  Coaches are considered official MSU volunteers.  If they plan to drive or travel with the club, they must visit this page and fill out the form at the bottom:  A copy should be retained in OSE. 

Does our faculty or staff advisor need to travel with us?
No.  As long as your trip has a student trip leader (or club leader), then you do not.

What is the cancellation policy for Enterprise vehicles?
Cancellation timeframe is 24hrs for cars and 36hrs on all other vehicles. If the road conditions are listed as emergency travel only, then this does not apply HOWEVER you must NOT pick-up the vehicle from Enterprise if this is the case, otherwise you will be charged.

How soon should my club reserve vehicles?
As soon as you know your travel dates and number of travelers, contact us.  Enterprise runs out of vehicles quickly due to high demand, especially larger ones.

Do we have to reserve the vehicles through OSE or can we call Enterprise directly?
Please work through the OSE if your club has funding, do not call Enterprise directly. If you do not have funding, you are able to call Enterprise directly and arrange your own vehicle needs.  If you wish to receive the MSU pricing and ability for 18+ drivers to drive, use contract number 63MSU01.