If you have never volunteered before, we know it can be a bit intimidating! Our office is here to help! Please read below for some ways to start. Get out and get involved, you won't regret it!
- Want to know more about why you should volunteer? How to narrow down what issues are most important to you? Check out this great resource from the RGK Center for Philanthropy and Community Service.
- You can search for volunteer opportunities online at Volunteer Connections of Greater Gallatin United Way
- Check out our list of local Community Organizations that utilize volunteers and explore if there is one right for you! Committing to an organization is a great way to explore your passions and interests as well as making meaningful connections in the community.
- Join our Volunteer Reserves email listserv to stay up to date on upcoming service opportunities. Sign up online HERE.
- We post upcoming volunteer opportunities on our website, check this often!
- Attend our bi-annual Involvement Fair!
The Office of Activities and Engagement organizes different programs throughout the year to engage students in service:
MSU America Reads*America Counts
If you enjoy working with kids, this program is for you! We match volunteers with local school kids who need assistance in math or literacy. Volunteer and work-study positions are available. Please check out the MSU America Reas*America Counts portion of our website to learn more.
Kickoff Trails Service Project
This project is intended to introduce new students to our amazing local trail system, get to know other students and make a positive impact on the community. We will work with the Gallatin Valley Land Trust on local trail needs the Sunday before the fall semester begins.
In early September the office hosts an event outside on the Centennial Mall where approximately 70 area community-based organizations and student organizations are available to inform students, faculty and staff how to get involved in their organization. Come meet some amazing non profit and campus leaders and learn from them first hand how you can be part of thier work to strengthen our community and campus.
Rockin' the "M"
The weekend before MSU Homecoming, up to 100 students hike the "M" and paint it and make it shine! This is a great way to show your school spirit, get your hands dirty and make a difference!
Instead of going to Cancun for spring break, students choose to travel to another part of the country and provide service to a community in need. We typically send 3-5 trips each spring break, so there are a variety of options available to you. Check out the BreaksAway section of our website to find out more about this great program.
Once a month we mobilize the MSU community to servce in the local community. Taking place the 1st Saturday of the month, October through April, this is a perfect way for busy students to get involved in the community!, meet great new people and have a positive impact in the Bozeman area.
Service Learning at MSU
Service Learning courses provide Montana State University students with the opportunity to link academic study with community involvement. Students use information from these courses to address real needs of local and global communities. Follow the link above to learn more!
Join us on Facebook!