ETD Submission Information
Formatting ChecklistThis is a formatting checklist created by the Formatting Advisor summarizing the formatting requirements and some of the most frequently seen formatting errors. Please make sure you complete this checklist before submitting your ETD to the Formatting Advisor.
Master's & Doctorate of Nursing StudentsSubmit a final ETD in pdf format to the ETD Formatting Advisor preferred method is to email directly, or use email@example.com Dropbox account before the published deadline. The Graduate School does not require a bound paper copy of your thesis or dissertation.
- Science and Natural History Filmmaking students will also submit a copy of their film. Submit a compressed H264 file (under 5GB) to firstname.lastname@example.org. If your film is larger than 5GB please contact the Formatting Advisor with options. Films will be archived on the ETD Film archive with MSU Domain access only.
Doctoral Students (Ph.D. and Ed.D)
Submit a final ETD in pdf format through our web interface with UMI Dissertation Publishing before the published deadline. Please read the Publishing Guides and Publishing Agreement sections of UMI's website for important information. There is no fee for Traditional publishing. Open Access publishing is $95 (note, your document will be in the MSU Library's open access database ScholarWorks). Please read the Publishing Options Guide for a description of both. The Graduate School does not require a bound paper copy of your thesis or dissertation.
- Supplemental Files
Files that are supplemental data to your ETD should be uploaded to email@example.com DropBox account. Contact Jennifer directly for instructions if the file size is larger than 5GB. Non-proprietary, openly documented formats are always preferred:
- Text: plain text (ASCII, UTF-8), PDF/A, CSV, TSV, XML
- Image: PDF/A, JPEG/JPEG2000, PNG, TIFF, SVG (no Java)
- Audio: FLAC, AIFF, WAVE
- Video: AVI, M-JPEG2000
- Compressed/archived formats: GZIP/TAR, ZIP
- Files should only be compressed and/or archived when it is necessary due to large file size or the need to gather files together in a particular directory structure in order for them to be understood.
- We encourage the use of structured organization, such as the BagIt format, within a compressed/archived file.
- Raw Data Files
Raw data files can be included in ScholarWorks along with your ETD and any supplemental files. Review the preferred file formats in the Supplemental files section.
- See Library Data Services for more information on a data management strategy: http://www.lib.montana.edu/services/data/
Along with your ETD, you must submit forms to our office by the published deadline before your ETD will be given final approval:
- Certificate of Approval Form for Theses & Dissertations: The Certificate of Approval serves as the official record of the thesis/dissertation submission to The Graduate School and documentation that your thesis/dissertation has received final approval from your advisory committee. This form is also used for archiving your ETD with the MSU Library. Please type this form; original signatures are preferred, faxed signatures are accepted in extreme circumstances.
- Doctoral students (Ph.D. and Ed.D ONLY): Complete a Survey of Earned Doctorate online at https://sed-ncses.org