Opportunities for Post-Baccalaureate Students

Are you a student with a bachelor’s degree who would like to extend your education?  If pursuing a graduate degree isn’t quite the right choice for you, check out other options below:

Non-Degree Coursework

If you have earned a bachelor’s degree from MSU or another institution, you may be interested in continuing your studies at MSU for reasons of professional or personal development.

Pre-Medical Program

If you are interested in entering the health professions but lack specific undergraduate coursework, MSU offers a generalized advising program and a new certificate program designed specifically to assist you in preparing for and applying to medical or dental school. 

Second Bachelor’s Degree

Even though you hold a bachelor's degree, you may be interested in pursuing a second degree in another field.  The requirements for a second degree acknowledge the significant learning you have done in achieving your first degree.

Non-Degree Coursework

Those individuals who are not seeking advanced degrees may be admitted to MSU as non-degree graduate students in the College of Graduate Studies. This procedure is outlined below:


  1. Complete the College of Graduate Studies Application for Admission as Non-Degree Graduate or Teacher Certification Student and indicate “Non-Degree Graduate Student” or “Teacher Certification Student” as your Student Classification.  (Click here for more detailed information).
  2. Submit your completed application to the College of Graduate Studies along with the $30 application fee.
  3. Request that an official transcript be sent from your degree granting institution to the MSU College of Graduate Studies at the time you submit your application.
  4. Acceptance to MSU as a non-degree graduate student is automatic upon proof of a baccalaureate degree.  Within a week, you will receive a letter of acceptance along with your course registration codes.


Non-degree graduate students are charged graduate tuition, regardless of the level of coursework in which they are enrolled.  Also, non-degree graduate students are not eligible for financial aid unless enrolled as teacher certification students.

For more information, contact:

                College of Graduate Studies

                (406) 994-4145



Pre-Medical Program

Pre-Medical Advising

MSU has instituted an advising system in which students who have completed their bachelor’s level work at MSU or other four-year institutions may complete the science courses traditionally required for application to medical and dental schools.  Post-baccalaureate students are advised in their curricular choices and medical school applications by Jane Cary, director of health professions advising at MSU.

Pre-Medical Certificate Program

In the fall of 2005, the Montana Board of Regents approved a post-baccalaureate pre-medical certificate program, through which post-baccalaureate students completing 36 of the suggested 45 credits available will receive a certificate of completion.  Students at other Montana public colleges will be able to transfer in as many as 12 credits in specific coursework toward the certificate.


Post-baccalaureate students who wish to complete pre-medical coursework and/or pursue a pre-medical certificate should apply to admission to MSU as non-degree graduate students in the College of Graduate Studies (see procedure above under “Non-Degree Coursework”).


As non-degree graduate students, individuals who are enrolled in courses as participants of the pre-medical program are charged graduate tuition.  Also, because of their non-degree status, these students are not eligible for financial aid.

Click here for more information about the Pre-Medical Program and how to contact Ms. Cary for advising.

Second Bachelor’s Degree

Students who have earned one bachelor's degree and who would like to pursue a second bachelor’s degree must meet the following requirements:

  • Students seeking a second bachelor’s degree must complete a minimum of 30 additional credits, all course requirements of the second degree curriculum, and two semesters in residence at MSU.  Nine of the total minimum number of credits required for the second degree must be upper division.
  • All courses listed on the student's transcript at the time the first degree is granted are considered as required for and/or applied toward the first degree.  A student may have completed more credits than the minimum required for the degree, but the completion of the first degree "closes the books," i.e., none of those extra credits will be counted as part of the 30 credits necessary for a second degree.
  • A second degree student will not be required to complete University Core requirements, with the exception of students who have international degrees.
  • All students working for a second bachelor's degree are required to earn a 2.0 grade point average or better in the 4.0 system, only on those courses taken after the first degree.


NEW STUDENTS (those who have not previously been admitted to MSU)

  1. Complete the MSU Undergraduate Application for Admission and indicate “Second bachelor degree” as your educational goal (Educational Information section).
  2. Submit your completed application to MSU Enrollment Services along with the $30 application fee.  Students who submit their application and all required documents by the following dates will receive priority in admission processing:

                Fall Semester            July 1

                Spring Semester       Dec. 1

                Summer Session       May 1

  1. Request that official transcript(s) from each college or university attended be sent directly to MSU Enrollment Services at the time you submit your application.

For more information, contact:

Enrollment Services

(406) 994-6617


FORMER STUDENTS OR GRADUATES OF MSU (those who have attended MSU but graduated elsewhere, or those who earned their first bachelor’s degree at MSU)

  1. Complete an Intent to Register and indicate you have earned a baccalaureate degree and expect to earn another baccalaureate degree.
  2. Submit the form to the Registrar’s Office at least 30 days prior to the first day of the academic term that you plan to attend.
  3. Request that official transcript(s) from each college or university attended after your enrollment at MSU be sent directly to the Registrar’s Office at the time you submit your Intent to Register.

For more information, contact:

Office of the Registrar

(406) 994-6650



All second-degree students are charged post-baccalaureate tuition (equivalent to graduate tuition), regardless of the level of coursework in which they are enrolled.