Grant Writing Bootcamp
Grant Writing Bootcamp is designed to help grant-interested faculty produce a quality, successful proposal, with valuable information and support from grant-successful facilitators. Participants have the opportunity to interact with grant-successful senior faculty, to work with peer support in writing groups, and to use a team of proposal support personnel who have the submitter's individual needs in mind.
Thursdays, September 20, 27, October 4, 11, 18 || 9:00 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
Go through the grant-writing process from beginning to end while working on your own grant proposal. With feedback from peers and experts, this 5-week workshop is designed to help novice grant writers understand the requirements of a grant opportunity, collect and create the many parts of a proposal, organize and write about their project, connect with MSU resources, and submit a grant proposal at MSU.
- Participation is limited to 16 people so apply for your spot TODAY(or at least by Sept 12th)! Preference will be given
to faculty who already have a grant opportunity in mind and can attend ALL sessions.
- Submit your application here
- You will receive a confirmation that we have received your application. We will then let participants know that they have been accepted by Sept 13th.
Attending this workshop allows faculty to achieve these CFE faculty learning outcomes:
- Securing internal and external funding to support scholarly work
- Increasing awareness of strategies designed to improve productivity, relationships, and stress/time management for a lasting life and work balance
- Developing relationships to promote research and scholarly excellence, and encourage collaboration across disciplines
Previous Boot Camps
|Fall 2017||View syllabus|
|Fall 2016||View syllabus|
|Fall 2015||View syllabus|
|Fall 2014||View Materials|
|Spring 2014||View Materials|
|Fall 2013||View Materials|
Grant Writing Bootcamp Facilitator Guide
Want to run your own Boot Camp? Check out the Facilitator's Guide that provides background on the development of the course, timelines for planning and scheduling, and outlines of the sessions. The Guides provides detailed information about the resources needed with links to examples and templates to make your Boot Camp a success.
- Visit the webpage for links to examples and templates
- Download the Guide Now (Third Edition, 33 pages, 1.8 Mb PDF)
To request the hardcopy publication, contact email@example.com
Analysis of Impact
We looked at a one-year pre-post test of the impact of Bootcamp on women faculty in STEM’s research capacity was reported in the peer-reviewed journal Bioscience (Smith et al., 2017). Over the span of one year (and contrasting results with a comparison sample who were not part of the intervention) showed women participating in Grant-Writing Bootcamp significantly increased the number of external grants submitted, number of proposals led as PI, number of external grants awarded, and amount of external funding dollars awarded.
Smith, J.L., Stoop, C. D., Young, M., Belou. R., Held, S. (2017). Grant-Writing Bootcamp: An Intervention to Enhance the Research Capacity of Academic Women in STEM. BioScience. 67 (7): 638-645. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1093/biosci/bix050