Advertising/Solicitation Policy

Solicitation is not allowed in Family & Graduate Housing. If you are approached, please call the Family & Graduate Housing Office (994-3730)or the University Police (994-2121).

Please visit the FGH Advertising/Solicitation Policy page.

Authorization for Entry into Apartments

FGHO respects the rights of the privacy of our tenants. We also are responsible for the maintenance of all units and the safety of tenants. Residents' personal privacy will be respected, however, FGHO reserves the right to authorize entry into an apartment when:

  • an immediate threat to the health and safety of the occupants exists.
  • a need to protect property (University or private) exists.
  • a need exists to repair, replace, or inspect University property.

Whenever possible, FGHO will provide the tenant with 24 hour notice before entry into an apartment.

Big Game Hides

Please place deer, elk, moose, and other animal hides and heads in the dumpsters or garbage cans. Carcasses cannot be left unattended or hanging for more than one week. Tenants will be asked to remove carcasses if complaints are received from neighbors.


Please park bikes in bicycle racks or store them in your apartment. Do not chain bikes in hallways or stairwells since doing so is a direct violation of fire code. All bicycles must be registered with a bicycle registration sticker.

You may obtain this registration sticker for your bike at the University Police Office at the corner of 7th and Kagy Streets. This registration is FREE.

Bicycles not registered may be removed from bike racks by Family&Graduate Housing personnel or University Police.

Charges Resulting from Damage

FGHO will determine whether the tenant will pay for damages. A good rule of thumb is:

  • Anything outside the realm of normal wear and tear, and damage or maintenance resulting from the tenant's negligence or the negligence of his/her dependents will be charged to the tenant.
  • The tenant is also responsible for damages caused by painting and/or redecorating not approved by Family&Graduate Housing. Any special cleaning or replacement of equipment resulting from tenant's misuse will also be the tenant's responsibility.

Equipment Check-Out

The FGHO has the following equipment available for check-out:

  • Toilet/Sink Plungers
  • Vacuums
  • Furniture Carts
  • Space Heaters
  • Lawn Seed
  • Spackle
  • Lawn Mowers
  • Rakes
  • Shovels
  • Snow Shovels
  • Jumper Cables

The FGH Office does not loan ladders or small tools (screwdrivers, hammers, saws, etc.). Equipment check-out/returns must take place between 7:45 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Children must be ten (10) years of age or older to check-out equipment at the FGHO.

Firearm Policy

Effective, August 1st, 2008, handguns and any other weapons are not allowed to be stored or present on the grounds or within living areas in Family & Graduate Housing.

The storage of rifles, shotguns, crossbows, compound bows and long bows with field or broadhead points is permitted within the privacy of Family & Graduate Housing residences. All firearms must be unloaded and all arrows must be safely covered. Possession of any other weapon or apparatus considered lethal is prohibited.

The storage of ammunition, fireworks, and any form of explosive fuels or devices within Family &Graduate Housing residences and storage areas is strictly prohibited.

The possession of paintball guns, bb guns, air guns, spring guns, or dart guns is prohibited.

Any violation of the Firearms policy may result in immediate termination of housing contract, and may also be cause for immediate suspension from the University and referral to law enforcement officers.


Guests staying for longer than two weeks must be approved by the Assistant Director of Family & Graduate Housing. Guest Housing is available for associates of Family & Graduate Housing residents. Please call the Family & Graduate Housing office for more information about this option.

Tenants are responsible for the behavior of guests while visiting Family & Graduate Housing. Guests are expected to comply with FGH and University policies and regulations. Guests are not permitted to camp or stay in recreational vehicles in FGH.


Montana State University and the Family & Graduate Housing Office do not provide insurance covering personal property of tenants. Therefore, tenants are advised to obtain their own comprehensive renter's insurance policy for theft and damage of personal property. This insurance is available through any insurance underwriter.

Neither MSU nor FGHO is responsible for telephone line quality in individual units. Therefore, tenants are advised to obtain linebacker insurance from Qwest or the chosen local telephone company for a nominal fee. Linebacker insurance covers the repair of defective lines within the unit.


Family & Graduate Housing keys are not to be duplicated. Should residents lose, break, lock themselves out, or need an extra key, they should please request a replacement at the FGHO. Additional keys are available at a nominal fee. Children must have written parental permission to obtain a key from the FGHO and must be (ten) 10 years or older.

If your unit needs to be re-keyed, a charge of $30 per lock (i.e. most Tower unites are $30 to rekey, McIntosh units are $150 to rekey) will be assessed. Written notice must be given to the FGHO if a friend, relative, or babysitter is permitted to check-out a key to your apartment.

Tenants and designated individuals will be required to present picture identification or a Student Identification Number to receive a key. FGHO provides a key service for emergency lock-outs -- please do not overuse this privilege.

In the event of a lock-out after 5:00 p.m., please call the Community Assistant II's on duty in 101 F Julia Martin, 101B Julia Martin OR 101A Paisley Court (look for the green light to indicate who is on-call). The Community Assistant II on duty will help you obtain a key. Please be prepared to provide proof of who you are in order to check a key out. Excessive lockeouts(i.e. more than two months key checkouts) will result in a $25 service fee per key checkout.

Mechanical Work

Major overhauls, defined as mechanical work on vehicles other than tune-ups, are not permitted in the Family & Graduate Housing area. Vehicles inoperable for longer than two weeks must be removed from Family & Graduate Housing. Abandoned vehicles will be towed at the owner's expense.

Moving In (Apartment Inspection Sheet)

The Apartment Inspection Sheet is used to document the condition of your apartment at the time of check-in. It is very important you thoroughly review the inventory and note any discrepancies in the condition of the apartment from what is written on the inspection sheet.

Any significant or notable differences must be submitted to your Community Assistant dring your CA /AIS Walk-through of your apartment. Failure to have a walk through meeting with your Community Assistant will result in the resident being responsible for any damages not recorded.

The Inspection Sheet will be kept on file for the duration of the lease.  Unless noted on the Apartment Inspection Sheet, damages assessed upon check-out will be billed to the resident.

For more information about FGH Services & Amenities available, click below.

Services & Community Resources

Moving Out

Instructions and Information

Proper notice, a clean apartment in good repair, and return of keys on moving day are essential elements to successfully vacating a Family & Graduate Housing unit. Listed below are the procedures to follow when moving out of Family & Graduate Housing.

  1. The tenant must give, in person at the FGHO, thirty (30) days notice of intent to vacate. Failure to do so will result in a thirty (30) days rental charge. Families with children attending grade school are permitted to reside in FGH until the end of the public school year. Graduating students may apply up to a six (6) month extension on their contract.
  2. Tenants wishing to vacate must go in-person to the Family & Graduate Housing Office and do the following:
    • Give 30 days notice
    • Pick up a rent termination slip
    • Pick up a check-out information sheet
    • Establish a check-out appointment
    • Give forwarding address. This address is for FGH use only. A change of address card should be left with the Post Office.
  3. The dwelling, equipment, and furniture shall be in good order (allowing for "reasonable" wear) and cleaned according to specifications noted on the Check-Out Information Sheet before the tenant leaves.
  4. On the date of termination, the tenant must be completely moved out and ready to turn in keys at the check-out appointment time.
  5. Charges for any damages, missing articles, cleaning or driving/parking on the lawn and/or sidewalks will be deducted from the tenant's security deposit. If damage and/or cleaning charges should exceed the deposit, the tenant will be billed. A hold will be placed on the student account until full payment is received.

    *** Charges are an estimate. You will be charged an actual amount for cleaning, labor and materials ***

Moving-Out Check List

  1. Give 30 days notice of intent to vacate at the Family & Graduate Housing Office and obtain a RENT TERMINATION SLIP prior to paying your last month's rent and schedule a check-out appointment. Check-out appointments need to be made for weekdays between 9:00 a.m.-- 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. -- 4:30 p.m. To protect your interests as well as the University's, IT IS NECESSARY FOR YOU TO BE PRESENT AT YOUR CHECK-OUT AND YOU MUST VACATE YOUR UNIT IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARD.
  2. Notify the Post Office, NorthWestern Energy (1-888-467-2669), periodical publishers, newspaper carrier and any regular delivery service of your change of address. Forms for change of address are available at the Family & Graduate Housing Office, Post Office and from periodical publishers. Check your mailbox so you can leave the mailbox key on the counter for the next tenant.
  3. Empty the kitchen cabinets, drawers, and dresser drawers. Wipe them out with a mild detergent and polish exterior doors and drawer fronts.Leave all doors and drawers open for inspection.
  4. Clean stove top, oven and broiler with strong detergent and oven cleaner (do not use oven cleaner in self-cleaning ovens or on aluminum range burner pans). Clean the range vent filter, and inside hood, if supplied. Pull out and clean behind and under electric stoves except in Nelson Story Tower, Peter Koch, and East Julia Martin Drive units that have not been remodeled.
  5. Defrost the refrigerator and clean sides and trays using a mild sudsy solution mixed with a small amount of baking soda. Unplug and pull the refrigerator away from the wall at least 8 inches. Clean behind and under the refrigerator. Leave the doors open.
  6. Clean all bathroom fixtures including the tub, toilet, and vent. Clean walls and tiles and polish chrome. Clean fiberglass shower enclosure with nonabrasive or soft scrub type cleanser, and tile with scouring powder.
  7. Clean the space heater (inside and under it), water heater and closet, all pipes and controls.
  8. Vacuum furniture, mattresses, and box springs.
  9. Shampoo all carpets (rinse and vacuum machines are available at local supermarkets, hardware stores, and rental shops). You must provide our office with proof of cleaning via a receipt. Domestic shampooers are not permitted.
  10. Walls and windows must be washed.
  11. Take all refuse and discarded items to the nearest garbage collection area. Large items need to be placed behind dumpsters. Deliver any unwanted items of value to the local Salvation Army.
  12. Tenants who take care of their lawns should mow two (2) days before vacating.
  13. Under no circumstances may anyone drive or park vehicles on lawns or sidewalks. A damage charge will be assessed.
  14. Leave your keys with the Maintenance Supervisor upon check-out.
  15. Leave your last minute cleaning supplies out and available; last minute touch-ups may be necessary.
  16. Give Yourself Enough Time To Clean Your Apartment Thoroughly. This Will Help Ensure A Full Refund Of Your Deposit!!


After deductions for any unpaid rent, cleaning and/or damage charges, the University will refund any unused portion of the monthly rent/deposit. State refunds typically take 6-8 weeks to process, and will be mailed to your new address.

Refunds are not typically given to tenants who vacate their apartment without providing thirty (30) days notice.

Occupancy Standards

Following is a list of occupancy standards* for all FGH apartments.

Number of Bedrooms Minimum Occupants Maximum Occupants
1 1 1
2 2** 4
3 3 6

* Exceptions to these standards must be approved by the Director of FGH.

** Designated graduate/upper classmen student housing and faculty/staff housing may be occupied by one (1) resident.


Family and Graduate Housing (FH) parking tags must be purchased from University Police, at a rate of $90.00 per tag. All vehicles parked in MSU-Bozeman Family & Graduate Housing lots must be registered with the University Police Office located at the corner of 7th and Kagy. Tenants parking in FGH parking lots must abide by all current campus parking and traffic regulations.

Please, do not park in front of dumpsters at any time.

Family & Graduate Housing reserves the right to tow abandoned vehicles. Long flatbed trailers, boat trailers, campers, and other oversized vehicles are not permitted to park in FGH at any time. A temporary "visitor" or "guest" parking permit may be obtained at the Family & Graduate Housing Office. Tenants are responsible for requesting these visitor hangtags, and must have the visitor's name, license plate number, make/model of the vehicle, and length of time that the hangtag is needed. Visitors cannot request these hangtags themselves. Registered MSU students are not eligible for a visitor's permit.


While we love our Bobcats, the keeping of animals or pets of any kind (except fish) is prohibited in Family & Graduate Housing.

If pets are found on the premises, violators will be assessed a $100.00 charge for a first offense, and will be evicted for a second offense. Please report any violations to the Family & Graduate Housing Office.

Exceptions will be made for physically or mentally challenged individuals requiring a service animal. A "Request for Service Animal" accommodation must be submitted through Disability, Re-Entry and Veterans Services Office located in Room 155 of the Strand Union Building, phone (406) 994-2824.


Plants are allowed in Family & Graduate Housing. Ceiling hooks are limited to one (1) per bedroom and two (2) in the living room.

Quiet Hours

Tenants must conduct themselves and will require their guests while on the premises to conduct themselves in a manner which will not disturb other residents peaceful enjoyment. Mandatory quiet hours are 9:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m.; additionally, tenants are expected to be courteous between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Residents should realize laundry rooms adjoin apartments and tenants have varying schedules and unique interests.

In particular, please consider the following as you conduct your day-to-day activities in FGH:

  • Refrain from the use of stereo, T.V., or radio equipment in a manner that unreasonably disturbs other residents.
  • Refrain from allowing children or guests to become noisy in a way which unreasonably disturbs other tenants.
  • Supervise children to prevent them from running up and down stairwells.
  • Be attentive to outside storage regulations.
  • Ensure laundry room is well kept and not used after 9:00 p.m. nightly.Tenants will be held accountable to be respectful and courteous to their neighbors.

Tenants are expected to be especially attentive after 9:00 p.m. and before 7:00 a.m.

Rent Payment

Rent is payable in advance by the first of each month at the Residence Life Cashier's Office located in the Hedges Complex.

Charges for a partial month are computed on a daily basis at the rate of one-thirtieth (1/30) of the monthly rental.

If occupancy begins after the 20th of the month, the tenant will pay pro-rated rent for the month of occupancy and the full monthly rent for the following month in advance. Family & Graduate Housing reserves the right to require rent payment a semester in advance if a tenant has a poor rent payment history. Late Rent Payment: A late payment charge of $10.00 is assessed on the 16th of each month at 8:00am. A late payment charge of $20.00 is assessed on the 26th of each month.Rent Increase: The University reserves the right to increase the applicable monthly rent during the term of rental agreement after thirty days (30) written notice to the tenant.

Repair & Service Procedure

If an item in your apartment is in need of repair, call the FGHO to place a work order between 7:45am and 5:00p.m., Monday through Friday at (406) 994-3730.

Do not replace plumbing or electrical fixtures wihout permission.

Your request will be logged and an appropriate maintenance person will come to your apartment to correct the problem, usually within ten working days. You may either authorize the maintenance person to enter your apartment with a key, or plan to be home when the repairs are done. The maintenance person will leave a note on your dining room table to let you know what action was taken.

Some maintenance problems may not occur during normal working hours. If the repair requires emergent attention (i.e. broken water pipe, broken window, etc.) contact the FGHO Community Assistant II's on duty in 101 F Julia Martin, 101B Julia Martin OR 101A Paisley Court (look for the green light to indicate who is on-call). Call 994-3730 and then dial "O" and you will be connected to the on-call Community Assistant II.


Solicitation is not allowed in Family & Graduate Housing. If you are approached, please call the University Police at (406) 994-2121 to make a report.

Storage Guidelines

Due to city fire codes, welfare of Family & Graduate Housing residents, and general aesthetics, storage of items (freezers, tires, concrete blocks, lumber, furniture, etc.) is not permitted outside units, on landings, or in breezeways. For information on storage shed guidelines, click here. An information sheet on storage alternatives in the Bozeman area may be obtained at the Family & Graduate Housing Office. FGHO reserves the right to remove storage items inappropriately stored.

The use and placement of neatly stored BBQ's, lawn furniture, bikes in breezeways, and other like items is permistted in Family & Graduate Housing with the excdeption of Peter Koch Tower and Nelson Story Tower.

Storage Sheds: Storage sheds are allowed in the Family & Graduate Housing units east of South 15th Ave ONLY. The sheds must be placed at the rear of the units near teh exterior wall. Please contact the Family & Graduate Housing Office for permission and exact location placement. Storage sheds should be no larger than 8 feet wide, 12 feet long, and 7 feet high at the peak of the gable and neatly painted. If storage sheds are built, they must be painted white or the color of the outside of your house. It is the responsibility of the tenant to remove the shed upon vcating the unit. Sheds left after a resident moves out of Family & Graduate Housing will be dismantled and delivered to the Salvation Army or the City Dump and the resident will be charged the appropriate amount. Please reseed the lawn after removing the shed. (Seed can be obtained from the FGH Office).


Residents wishing to transfer units within Family & Graduate Housing must complete a Transfer Request Form available at the FGH Office. In order to transfer apartments, the tenants must have his/her current apartment inspected by the maintenance supervisor. All transfer applicants must be approved by the Asstant Director of Family & Graduate Housing. Transfers are made as units become available in order of application date.

A $50.00 transfer fee plus rent for both units is payable at the time the transfer is completed. The tenant has a maximum of five (5) days to transfer apartments.

Vacation Periods

Residents living in the Westside Houses,Paisley Court and McIntosh Court, and planning to be away from their homes for longer than 24 hours within the time period of Oct 15th-March 15th should notify the FGHO so the heat can be regulated to prevent pipe freeze ups if extremely cold weather occurs. If no such notice is given, the resident will be responsible for damage occurring due to freeze ups.

Damage from pipe freeze-ups may not be discovered until spring and repairs may not be made until after the spring thaw.


Waterbeds are allowed in FGH; however, the resident who installs the waterbed will be liable for any damage caused by the bed. Hoses are not provided for filling and/or draining of waterbeds. Residents are required to please drain waterbeds in the bathtub of their apartment.