Though the Field Placement & Licensure Office (FPLO) administers and oversees the Montana State University America Reads*America Counts program (MSU AR*AC), the work does not happen without you! MSU AR*AC enables education majors to tutor K-8 students in Bozeman area schools. The FPLO recruits, screens, selects, trains and places 40 to 60 tutors. Many of our education majors will benefit from the MSU AR*AC program in building a resume and experiencing the classroom environment prior to their practicum and student teaching experiences. Tutors assist students to whom they have been assigned in meaningful and constructive ways to embrace and experience success with literacy and/or math skill development. Seen as role models by their mentees, tutors serve as consistent and reliable adults in the lives of the children referred to this program. Each tutor is responsible to work cooperatively and maintain ongoing communication with all supervising teachers in order for students to receive the most timely and relevant instruction possible.
How it Works
- Teachers identify a student(s) who could benefit from one-on-one tutoring in math and/or literacy.
- Tutors are paired with this/these student(s).
- Tutors work 7.5 – 10 hours weekly, depending on need. Scheduling is flexible, allowing tutors to choose their hours coordinated with teacher requested times and days.
- We make every attempt possible to match a student with a tutor, but cannot guarantee each referred student can be matched. The matching process is dependent upon how many tutors apply to our program and how well the schedules of selected tutors match the days and times your student is available to be tutored.
- Tutors work directly with classroom teachers to discuss the special needs of each student.
- Teachers act as supervisors of tutor in their classroom.
How to Request a Tutor - Priority Deadline January 12, 2018
Prior to making a request, we ask that you please read the MSU AR*AC Teacher Packet. This packet includes a parent permission slip for each child. Because tutors are paid through the Federal Work Study Program, there is no charge for the tutoring services.
If you are interested in a tutor(s), please complete a Teacher Tutor Request Form.