Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Pre-University Studies

What is Pre-University Studies?
Pre-University Studies was created to assist students who have not met the minimum requirements (most often, GPA and/or ACT/SAT test score requirements) for admission to Montana State University.

What is the advantage to enroll as a Pre-University Studies student?
Pre-University Studies students have the opportunity to build a stronger foundation in the areas of Math and Writing early in their college careers through Gallatin College’s Developmental Education Program. A student’s skills will be strengthened in Math and Writing, where needed, and the program will improve the student’s chance for success in future coursework at MSU.

What courses are offered through Gallatin College’s Developmental Education Program?
Students will have the opportunity to enroll in Math classes (M 065/085 and 096/097) as a pre-requisite for MSU Core-level math and/or Writing courses (WRIT 080 and 095) as additional preparation prior to enrolling in College Writing I. The Developmental Education Program also offers a First Year Seminar (COLS 101US), a Core 2.0 freshman seminar which follows the same curriculum as University Studies First Year Seminar (US 101US), and Effective Academic Practices (COLS 100), a course focusing on time management, test taking strategies, and other essential academic skills.

What if my GPA and/or test scores change before I attend classes at MSU?
If your final high school GPA and/or scores change before you attend classes as a Pre-University Studies student, your admission status at MSU may change. Please contact your Admissions evaluator as soon as you know your new scores.

How will I know what courses to take?
You will meet with the Pre-University Studies academic advisor during MSU Orientation. Your advising session will guide you into appropriate choices based on your individual placement scores and interests. Registration for courses is completed during orientation using MyInfo at Developmental courses are listed with MSU courses in the online MSU class schedule.

How many credits may I enroll in as a Pre-University Studies student?
You may be a full-time MSU student (12-14 credits) during your first semester by taking a combination of courses through MSU and the Developmental Education Program in Gallatin College. Of those classes, you may register for a maximum of seven (7) MSU credits.

When will I be considered a regular full-time student and be allowed to take more than seven (7) MSU credits?
After you attain a 2.0 GPA your first semester, you will be considered a regular full-time student. A Pre-University Studies student may change their major once they have achieved a 2.0 GPA and successfully completed seven (7) 100-level MSU credits.

Will I receive two different transcripts?
No – your MSU transcript will include your courses taught through the Developmental Education Program.

Can I still receive financial aid as a Pre-University Studies student?
Yes, if you take a minimum of 6 total credits you may apply for and receive financial aid. If you have a combined total of 12 credits or more through MSU’s Developmental Education Program and other MSU courses, you will be considered a full-time student for financial aid purposes.

Will I get two separate tuition/fee bills?
No. All of your tuition and fees for both the Developmental Education Program and other MSU classes will be on one bill. You may view and pay your bill by entering the secure site from MyInfo.

Will I be able to get an MSU Cat Card (student photo ID)?
Yes. You will get your MSU Cat Card student ID at the Cat Card office in the basement of the Strand Union Building.

Can I live in the Residence Halls as a Pre-University Studies student?

Who should I contact if I have questions?
For questions regarding your admission status, contact:
MSU Office of Admissions

For questions regarding course registration, contact:
Gallatin College—Developmental Education program