Please contact the department you are interested in applying to prior to completing the application. Departmental deadlines vary and some departments may require a preliminary application.
In order for your graduate degree application to be reviewed for admission, all of the required documents must be submitted to the department to which you are applying prior to their application deadline. For more information regarding deadlines and requirements, please contact the department.
We recommend that you follow up with the department to ensure that all supporting documents were received for review. Once the department reviews your completed application and all of the accompanying documents, they will send your file to The Graduate School with their recommended admission decision. The Graduate School then reviews your application and issues a formal decision letter.
International students should refer to the international student section for more information.
All applications must include the following:
a completed Application for Graduate Admission;
- a nonrefundable application fee payment of $60 for online applications or paper applications;
- official transcripts reflecting all baccalaureate work including bachelor's degree and post-baccalaureate work; ***Transcripts from Montana State University Bozeman are on file. No need to resubmit.***
- three letters of recommendation;
- official entrance exam scores (contact department for requirements);
- a letter of intent or essay, if required by the academic department.
Each department sets its own application deadlines. Contact the department to which you are applying for their specific deadlines.
Entrance Exam Requirements
Please contact the department to which you are applying for information regarding their entrance exam requirements.
If the department requires an entrance exam, The Graduate School must receive an official score report from the specific testing agency. Unofficial score reports may be used to initiate the application process. However, if accepted, registration for classes will be prohibited until an official score report is received.
If an official score report is not obtainable, a score report will be accepted directly from another accredited academic institution.
Back to Graduate Catalog of Policies and Procedures