The Graduate School - Policies and Procedures
Graduate students must register each semester in which faculty time or University facilities are used for any purpose.
Late fees will be assessed after published deadlines for registration.
Students must register on or before the 10 th class day of instruction as set forth by the Office of the Registrar’s Schedule of Classes.
Students are required to show proof of current immunization against measles, mumps and rubella, (MMR). A current skin test for tuberculosis may also be required. Students will not be permitted to register for classes until Student Health Service receives the immunization verifications. Contact MSU Student Health Service at (406) 994-2311.
All students are required to be registered for a minimum of 3 credits the semester of graduation. If a student is not able to meet the deadline within that semester, typically the student is required to apply to graduate the following semester and register for 3 credits. However, if the student does not need an entire semester to complete degree requirements, but rather a short extension on the original intended semester of graduation, a One Credit Extension may be applicable.
A One Credit Extension allows students additional time past the intended semester of graduation up to the first day of the following semester. Appropriate reasons to utilize the one credit extension are as follows:
- To satisfactory complete of all coursework (including “I” grade make-ups).
- Defense of thesis/dissertation past the published deadline for the intended semester.
- Satisfactory completion of all recommended corrections to the thesis or dissertation and submission of all required copies in final format to The Graduate School past the published deadline for the intended semester.
- Approval of the thesis/dissertation by the graduate Dean.
- Successful completion of all other degree requirements as determined by the department and The Graduate School, including submission of all documentation required for graduation.
To use the One Credit Extension, the student must do the following:
- Withdraw their Application for Advanced Degree for the original semester of graduation on The Graduate School website @ http://www.montana.edu/gradstudies/withdraw_app.html ;
- Submit a new Application for Advanced Degree for the following semester; and
- Register for 1 credit the following semester. To register for the one credit, you may be able to do this yourself or contact your department admin or chair of your committee to register you for the appropriate credit/course
The degree will not be conferred until the end of the following semester.
If all degree requirements are not met by 5:00 p.m. on the first day of the following semester, the student will be required to register for an additional 2 credits (to meet the minimum of 3 credits) to complete graduation requirements.
Students who intend to take advantage of this option should contact The Graduate School.