College of Graduate Studies

 

Graduate Council Meeting - Minutes
May 18, 2004

 Present: Chair Bruce McLeod, Ken Bowers, Katie Daughenbaugh, Marc Giullian, Robert Maher, Gretchen McNeely, Craig Stewart, David Weaver, Becky Ward, Mary Kay West.

The meeting commenced at 10:05 a.m. in the President’s Conference Room, Montana Hall.

GRADUATE COUNCIL AGENDA ITEMS:

1. Approval of April Council minutes

Motion to approve the minutes was made by Giullian and seconded by Bowers. After no comments, the vote to approve was unanimous.

2. Required (instead of mandatory) ETD submission date revised

  • The College of Graduate Studies wishes to require all theses and dissertations to be submitted electronically beginning Fall 2004 (instead of Fall 2005). The CGS will consider on a case-by-case basis exceptions to this requirement.

McLeod asked for comments on the changed date from each member present. The majority felt it was a great idea. Arts and Architecture could have a problem but Maggie Gudatis of CGS will assist with overcoming any difficulties they encounter. McLeod will send the Fall 2004 requirement date for ETDs through campus servers.

3. Continued discussion of Faculty Council’s Academic Affairs Committee

Weaver reported that nothing more had been done to date. McLeod will follow AAC developments through his attendance at Faculty Council.

4. Graduate Council elections (timing and election versus nomination)

Ward reported that terms are up for 3 positions (nursing, business, and arts & architecture) plus a new graduate student representative will be needed on the Council. Potential new members are nominated by faculty, the names are sent to CGS, and then CGS sends out ballots. Elections will be held in September.

Bowers stated that it is becoming more difficult to represent the 14 departments in Letters and Science. He suggested adding a “Letters” representative from Letters and Science. He will talk to the Dean and department heads about it.

5. Should this May meeting be the last meeting until Fall 2004?

Graduate Council meetings will stop for the summer and resume again in the fall.

6. Other

a. Youth Development Proposal

McLeod reported that 2 years ago Graduate Council did not approve HHD’s proposal due to lack of MSU faculty support and lack of leadership. McLeod and Greg Weisenstein, Dean of EHHD, feel the program still lacks support. A memo will be sent to the Provost advising him of the lack of support for this proposal.

b. Health of the entire MSU Graduate Program

McLeod reported that 12% of students at MSU are graduates; that number is lower than the national average. Some MSU graduate departments are doing very well and others are not. A major problem is the lack of incentives for faculty to become involved with graduate students (no recognition by administration and no rewards). McLeod sent a report to President Gamble and Provost Dooley outlining the problem and the need for university COMMITMENT to graduate students. Grants and Contracts money is increasingly being used to hire research employees instead of fund graduate research students.

The discussion that followed revolved around the problem of funding—to offer promising students, how departments pay for graduate students, how faculty is paid during summer months.

The meeting adjourned at 11:00 a.m.