Dr. Gao is active in research in the following areas.
Motors and Motor Drives
- Motor Design
- Monitoring and Diagnostic of Motors and Motor Drives
- Advanced Motor Drives Including Sensorless Motor Drives
- Soft-Switched DC/DC Power Converters for Different Power Systems Including Fuel Cell Power Systems
- DC/AC Inverters for Motor Drives and Fuel Cell Power Systems
- Active Filters
- Power Factor Correction
Electric and Hybrid Electric Vehicles
- Powertraind Design for Electric and Hybrid Electric Vehicles
- Advanced Motor Drives and Power Converters for Electric and Hybrid Electric Vehicles
He has received nealy $1,000,000 research funds from federal, state, and private funding sources for his research since 2002.