About Montana State University
With its roots in the land-grant tradition of research in the agricultural and engineering sciences, Montana State University has grown into a comprehensive university with 774 full-time faculty, 14,153 students and over $102 million in externally sponsored research conducted annually. Its research strengths include:
- agricultural biotechnology;
- laser/optical engineering;
- infectious diseases;
- life in extreme environments;
- engineering and applied science, including environmental engineering;
- molecular and cellular biology; and
- math and physical sciences, including surface science, advanced materials and lasers/optical materials.
For More Information about the Innovation Campus, contact:
Executive Director of the
MSU Innovation Campus
910 Technology Blvd., Suite A
Bozeman, MT 59718
Office: (406) 994-4821
Cell: (406) 580-7002
About Teresa McKnight:
Teresa W. McKnight, former CEO and executive director of the South Dakota State University Innovation Campus, in Brookings, S.D., began overseeing all operations, promotions, business recruitment and development for the MSU Innovation Campus in late 2011.
McKnight led SDSU’s research park since 2006, overseeing its formal launch with the completion of the first anchor building in 2008. The SDSU Innovation Campus was South Dakota’s first research park, providing research facilities with office and lab space and support services for students, faculty, scientists, entrepreneurs, capital providers, managers and leaders of small, medium and large R&D companies to conduct research and commercialize economic activity.
Under McKnight's leadership, infrastructure and major construction was completed for the 125-acre park; 20 companies and six research groups employing more than 90 people were recruited; and $32.6 million was raised for the park’s development.
As the leading research and technology park in Montana, the Montana State University Innovation Campus provides a place where people and ideas come together; an environment that assists and supports start-up companies and new ideas; state-of-the-art facilities for well-established companies to locate and prosper; a place where Montana State University faculty, researchers, and scientists work with private and government researchers and scientists to push forward cutting-edge science and advance technologies; a place where students gain hands-on learning experiences that result in employment opportunities upon graduation; a high-tech research park where companies are our business, and our partners, and collaboration with Montana State University is a daily occurrence.
Located on approximately 100 acres adjacent to Montana State University, the Innovation Campus provides services, facilities, programs and expertise to stimulate and support the growth of research and technology-based enterprises. The Innovation Campus is located in Bozeman, Montana, a place well known for its beautiful landscape of pristine surroundings and outstanding quality of life. The Innovation Campus has; walkways, jogging and biking trails, open green spaces, water features, retail, and is minutes away from an outdoor enthusiasts playground of year-round activities.
The Innovation Campus provides ‘the place’ for the creative and daring to push the entrepreneurial spirit to new heights; to take new ideas from concept to reality; and for pioneering researchers and scientists to create cutting-edge research and technologies that will change the world.
Facilities and Equipment
MSU also has extensive facilities and equipment available on a contractual basis to Innovation Campus tenants. Facilities and equipment include:
- Animal Resources Center http://www.montana.edu/wwwarc/
- CBE Microscopy Facility http://cores.montana.edu/index.php?page=microscopy
- Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry Facilities/Instrumentation http://www.chemistry.montana.edu/facilities/
- Imaging and Chemical Analysis Laboratory (ICAL) http://www.physics.montana.edu/ical/home/index.asp
- Magnetic Resonance Laboratory http://www.coe.montana.edu/mrm/
- Plant Growth Center http://ag.montana.edu/plantgrowth/
- Spatial Sciences Center http://ssc.montana.edu/
- Subzero Science and Engineering Research Facility http://www.coe.montana.edu/ce/subzero/
- Transportation and ITS Laboratory http://www.coe.montana.edu/ce/research_labs.html
- Research Core Facilities http://cores.montana.edu
- Departmental/Center-based Research Resources http://cores.montana.edu/index.php?page=departmental-center-based
MSU has several other assets important to small businesses such as:
- The Montana Manufacturing Extension Center for manufacturing assistance and prototype development (companies must meet eligibility requirements to receive assistance);
- A TechLink Center to find NASA and Department of Defense technologies that private companies can commercialize; and
- Small Business Institute for student assistance to small businesses.
Space and Special Services
In addition, your company and your employees will enjoy many of the same services and privileges available to Montana State University faculty and staff. Services include, just to name a few:
- Class A office and lab facilities
- Conference facilities
- Discount programs and services
- State-of-the-art data and telephone services
- Special discount programs for office furniture, supplies, lab furnishings and chemicals
- Incubation space and support
- Access to services at the campus library http://www.lib.montana.edu
- Student internship programs
- Seminars by Montana State University and visiting scientists and scholars
- A Technology Transfer Office to oversee intellectual property issues, facilitate licensing and coordinate resources with the private sector