- Any student or scholar who will live in Bozeman for more than six months can apply for a driver’s license.
- The duration of the driver’s license will be based on the program end date on the I-20 or DS-2019.
- Please note that a Montana Driver’s License is required of a long-term resident, if they own a vehicle and/or drive regularly (after three months, people without a Montana license will be fined for not having it, if stopped by the police).
- If your stay in Bozeman is less than six months, you will not be able to get a driver’s license.
- If you have an International Driver’s License, this can be used in lieu of a Montana License for one year for people who cannot apply for the state license or for those who do not own a vehicle and only occasionally drive a car.
- For the driving part of the driver’s license, all students must make an appointment.
How to make an appointment?
- Call the l toll free number 1-866-450-8034. This is in Helena and you should mention that you want to take the test in Bozeman.
Where to go?
What to bring with you?
Department of Motor Vehicle
2005 Gilkerson Drive, Suite B
Testing hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
- I-20 or Ds-2019
- Proof of address (a bill, a letter from the bank, etc.)
- The license fee cost is $40.50
What to expect?
- A writen examination
- an eye test
- a driving test (the car must be provided by the person taking the test)
The results are made known within minutes of completing each step.
All students who own a car must have liability insurance.
Driving, especially in winter can be hazardous. Road surfaces may look dry and can be actually icy. Anytime you are driving in other than dry conditions you must be extremely careful of your speed and know the condition of the roadway.
Seat belts are mandatory for ALL passengers including driver.
DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE.
Montana’s drinking age is 21. Driving under the influence of drugs and /or alcohol (D.U.I.) is against the law and costly. If you are arrested by police you will spend time in jail, have to appear in court, be fined several hundred dollars, and it will affect your status as an International Student.
State of Montana Identification (ID) Card
Although not required, we recommend that students and scholars who are not planning to drive get a Montana ID card. With this ID card, you will not have to carry your passport around and can prove your identity at anytime. It can be obtained at the Motor Vehicle Department and it costs $8.00. Please bring your passport, I-20 or DS-2019 and a proof of address.