Driver's License

Call the toll free number 1-866-450-8034.  This is in Helena and you should mention that you want to take the test in Bozeman.                              

Department of Motor Vehicle Office
2005 Gilkerson Drive, Suite B

Testing hours: 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

  • Passport
  • I-20 or Ds-2019
  • Proof of address (a bill, a letter from the bank, etc.)
  • The license fee cost is $40.50
  • A writen examination
  • an eye test
  • a driving test (the car must be provided by the person taking the test)

The results are made known within minutes of completing each step.

Car Insurance

Important: All students who own a car must have liability insurance.

Driving, especially in winter can be hazardous.  Road surfaces may look dry and can be actually icy.  Anytime you are driving in other than dry conditions you must be extremely careful of your speed and know the condition of the roadway.

Important: Seat belts are mandatory for ALL passengers including driver.


Montana’s drinking age is 21.  Driving under the influence of drugs and /or alcohol (D.U.I.) is against the law and costly.  If you are arrested by police you will spend time in jail, have to appear in court, be fined several hundred dollars, and it will affect your status as an International Student.

State of Montana Identification (ID) Card

Although not required, we recommend that students and scholars who are not planning to drive get a Montana ID card. With this ID card, you will not have to carry your passport around and can prove your identity at anytime. It can be obtained at the Motor Vehicle Department and it costs $8.00. Please bring your passport, I-20 or DS-2019 and a proof of address.