Forms for F-1 Students

F-1 Change of Status Guide

If your original reason for coming to the United States changes, you may be required to change your non-immigrant status to a different one before you lawfully begin to engage in activities you want to pursue.

F-2 Change of Status Guide

A nonimmigrant is is eligible to change to F-2 status in the following circumstances:

  • Spouse is an F-1 student or
  • Spouse has changed to F-1 status from another nonimmigrant classification
Curricular Practical (CPT) Training Guide

CPT is a benefit for F-1 students that must be "an integral part of an established curriculum" that grants permission to work off campus per compliance guidelines.

Concurrent Enrollment

An F-1 student may be enrolled in two different SEVIS-approved schools at one time as long as the combined enrollment amounts to a full time course of study.

Local Address, Telephone, and E-Mail
Students in F status must report an address change within 10 calendar days of the change by notifying their school.
Leave of Absence or Withdrawal Guide

The purpose of this form is to notify International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) of an intent to take a leave of absence or withdraw from Montana State University.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) Guide

An F-1 student, may qualify for optional practical training which allows the student to engage in temporary employment to gain practical experience in his or her field of study.

Program Extension Guide

An F-1 student who is currently maintaining status and making normal progress toward completing his or her education objective, but is unable to complete his or her course of study by the program end date on the Form I-20, may be eligible for a program extension if the student applies before the program end date on the Form I-20 and meets all eligibility requirements.

Reduced Course Load Guide
An international student in F-1 status is considered to be pursuing a full course of study even though enrolled for less than the "full-time" credit load (12 credits for undergraduates and 9 credits for graduates) under specified circumstances certified by a school official, designated by the USCIS and International Student and Scholar Advisor.
STEM OPT Extension

Students who are currently on OPT and who graduated with a qualifying degree in a STEM major (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) may be eligible to apply for an additional 24-month extension of their OPT.

Transfer In
Students currently in F-1 status studying in the U.S. who plan to transfer to Montana State University must complete the transfer procedure through SEVIS. This form must be completed and returned to an advisor in International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS).
Transfer Out

Students will use this form to request a transfer of their SEVIS record to another U.S. institution. Students must maintain an active and valid status until the time of transfer.  If you are pre-registered for a future semester or are transferring after the start of the semester, you must withdraw from Montana State University to ensure that you are not billed for classes that may be on a current or future semester registration.

Academic Training for J-1 Exchange Students

Academic Training is permission to work anywhere in the U.S. for training purposes granted to Exchange students in good J-1 standing. This allows them to remain in the U.S. after their program of studies ends.