Health Care & Insurance
Health Care in the United States of America
Do you know? The cost of...
- an off-campus doctor visit varies between $100-$500
- a hospital emergency room visit is above $600
- being admitted to the hospital (not including surgery) is approximately $2,500 per day
Important: all students are required to have health insurance coverage.
You should be familiar with the following terms
- "Co-pay": the co-pay is the amount that must be paid after each visit to a doctor's office.
- "Deductible": the amount the insured is required and obligated to pay by the insurance policy. The deductible is chosen by the insured. Generally the lower the deductible, the higher the insurance premium.
- "Out of pocket expenses": direct outlays of cash whichwill not be reimbursed.
Three Ways to Insure Yourself or Your Family Members
|MSU Insurance||Private U.S. Company||Home Country|
Blue Cross Blue Shield
No MSU insurance plan for dependents is available.
The student insurance (only) will be automatically charged to the student's account unless waived by the student.
|Purchase a health insurance plan from a private company in the U.S. List of possible providers. Please be aware that this coverage is minimal.||Purchase an insurance plan in your home country (If the plan is international, verify it includes the U.S.)|
Please be aware of the following
- All ACE students, and all other students registered for seven or more on-campus credits, are eligible to use the Health Service. Doctor visits are always free.
- Students with fewer than seven credits, students whose classes are off-campus, and students' spouses, may pay the health fee at any time during the semester for access to the clinic. The Health Service does not see children.
- If you have MSU insurance and go to the Health Service, all lab tests, xrays, minor surgeries, procedures, and medical supplies such as crutches are free. You will have a co-pay for any prescriptions (this varies, depending on the prescription).
- If you do not have MSU insurance and go to the Health Service, the doctor visit is still free, but you will have to pay for any xrays, labs or minor procedures. The pharmacy at the Health Service can usually bill your insurance company for prescriptions. Charges for services such as xrays or labs are due at the time of the visit. The Student Health Service will give you a statement to send to your insurance carrier. If you have an international policy, often they will reimburse you for 100% of the services if you use the Student Health Service.
- The dental clinic is availble to students only. The charges for services at the dental clinic are about half of what they would be if you went to an off-campus dental clinic.
- Ambulances are very expensive. Going to the Bozeman Deaconess Hospital will cost at least $800. Use it only if it is a true emergency.
- Most insurances do NOT cover dental or lenses. It has to be a separate contract.
- Please make sure that pharmacy is covered.
Note: Make sure to read the information provided by your insurance company carefully in order to understand what your coverage includes and how it works. Keep your insurance card in your wallet or purse at all times.
- Student Health Services: 994-2311; Swingle Hall - open weekdays from 8 am to 4:30 pm and Saturdays from 8 am to 11:30 am.
- Bozeman Urgent Care Center: 586-8711; 1006 West Main Street - open weekdays from 9 am to 8 pm and Saturdays/Sundays from 10 am to 5 pm - map
- Family Doctor Urgent Care: 556-9715; 120 North 19th Avenue- open weekdays from 9 am to 8 pm and Saturdays/Sundays from 10 am to 5 pm - map
- Bozeman Deaconess Hospital: 585-1000; 915 Highland Blvd - 24h/7days for serious emergencies only - map
Note: These are for MSU student (with a minimum of 7 credits) and A.C.E. students.
|Service||With MSU Insurance||Without MSU Insurance|
|Visits to health care providers||No charge|
|Men's or women's health exam||No charge||Lab charges apply|
|Nutritional Counseling||No charge||No charge|
|Laboratory tests||No charge||Charges apply|
|X-rays||No charge||Charges apply|
|Wart treatment||No charge||$4.00 per site|
Minor surgeries, procedures,wound care,
sutures, suture removal
(except suture removal)
Crutch rentals, ankels braces, orthodeic
|Charges apply||Charges apply|
|Allergy shots||$3.00 per shot||$3.00 per shot|
|Dental Services||Charges apply||Charges apply|
|Immunizations||Charges apply||Charges apply|
- With MSU insurance: $15, $30 or $50, depending on your prescription.
- Without MSU insurance: Varies, depending on your insurance coverage. Please bring your prescription insurance card to the pharmacy window.
Note: Except for the pharmacy, we do not bill insurance other than the student policy. Save all receipts for submitting to your insurance carrier.