Click to Register Your International Travel

International travelers are all students, staff, faculty or other participants (chaperone, high school students, students from other universities, alumni, or other non students) undertaking international travel under the auspices of the university.

This website is designed to support the international engagement of MSU students, faculty and staff in a responsible manner and to follow requirements and procedures outlined in the MSU International Travel Policy. All information applies to the following MSU campuses:

  • MSU Billings
  • MSU at Bozeman
  • Great Falls College (MSU)
  • MSU Northern

University international travel means travel outside the United States organized, sponsored, or supported by the University, or a unit thereof, including travel by international travelers (as defined above) for research, teaching, sabbaticals, conferences, study abroad, internships, practica, student teaching, community or university service, or group travel whether accompanied by a faculty member or not, whether offered for credit or not, and travel by registered student organizations, club sports, or athletic teams. Travel supported, at least in part, by sponsored research grants, contracts, F&A funds, or other university administered funds will be considered travel supported by the University.

Note: The MSU International Travel Registry is managed and maintained by the MSU Bozeman Office of International Programs Study Abroad unit through the MSU My Global Connection online portal.

According to the MSU International Travel Policy, faculty and staff are full and part time members of the faculty, contract professional, and classified staff employed by the University.

As required by the MSU International Travel Policy, section 303 International Travel Registry, the following must be submitted 30 days prior to departure:

  • Full legal name of traveler
  • Complete contact information abroad
  • Emergency contact domestically
  • Passport number and scan of passport
  • Complete international travel itinerary
  • Proof of insurance coverage via scanned copy of insurance card

To register and submit required documentation, please click here.

For a step by step guide of the travel registration, click below:

All research conducted abroad must be in a manner consistent with local laws. Funding for University international travel must be processed through University accounts in a manner consistent with University policies.

MSU faculty and staff can learn more about the insurance coverage through MSU here.

According to the MSU International Travel Policy, group travel is an organized group of International Travelers led by a Group Leader for the purpose of taking part in an educational activity abroad. These are primarily undergraduate students led by an approved Group Leader, usually a faculty member. Neither graduate students attending conferences or conducting research with their advisors, nor faculty and staff traveling together, are considered Group Travel for purposes of the international travel policy. Group Leader is a member of the faculty, staff, or other person who has been approved by the Responsible Official on the corresponding campus, to lead a student group traveling abroad.

Required for all Group Leaders

No later than 60 days prior to international travel, the following must be submitted by the Group Leader:

  • Request to Lead Group Travel form
    • Complete with signature approval by cognizant Department Head (if applicable), cognizant Dean or Director, and Responsible Official
    • Registered Student Group travel must also be approved by the Office of Activities and Engagement (or equivalent offices on the respective campus)
    • Must be submitted and approved before non-refundable travel arrangements are made
    • Must include a detailed Communication Plan, that will provide ability to communicate with University throughout the program

No later than 30 days prior to international travel, the following must be submitted by the Group Leader:

For a list of Faculty Forms required for group travel, please click here.

According to the MSU International Travel Policy, all individual students embarking on University international travel must obtain approval for the head of the university unit sponsoring the travel. Individual students traveling under the auspices of a Registered Student Organization must also receive approval from the Office of Activities and Engagement or equivalent office on the relevant campus.

Approvals are obtained using the following Registered Student Organization Travel Form.

All students earning academic credit for study abroad programs, whether MSU affiliated or not, must apply through the study abroad office of relevant campus. Students participating in faculty-led, summer, semester and year-long programs can apply through the relevant campus office as follows:

Student Requirements for International Travel:

  • All students must be in good academic standing and must not be on conduct probation for student Code of Conduct violation
  • All students must attend an orientation before travel
  • All students for the duration of the trip are subject to the campus Code of Conduct and other conduct rules established for the trip. Failure to comply can result in discipline and dismissal
  • Students with disabilities requiring accommodations should contact the affiliated campus officer responsible for administering the campus program
  • All students are required to have minimum levels of medical insurance. All student participants should make sure they have both evacuation and repatriation insurance coverage.
  • Click here to view the MSU Student International Travel Policy Checklist 

Health and Safety Recommendations

  • The University reserves the right to suspend or prohibit University international travel to any destination by international travelers at any time if it determines:
    • Health, safety, or security concerns pose unacceptable risks
    • Travelers have violated laws, or regulations, or University policy
    • Other good cause
  • Click here for MSU Bozeman Travel Health and Safety Orientation dates
  • For information on travel health, please visit the MSU Travel Health Clinic website.
  • The University recommends that all international travelers who are U.S. citizens register information of their planned travel with the U.S. Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)
  • All international travelers must have adequate health insurance coverage
  • All students, faculty and staff must comply with U.S. federal law regarding export controls and sanctions

Travel to Countries Subject to Travel Warnings and Alerts