Montana State University

Montana State Study Abroad on Facebook

Study Abroad Office

Montana State University
P.O. Box 172260
400 Culbertson Hall
Bozeman, MT 59717-2260


Meghan Carroll - Study Abroad Program Assistant

Tel: (406) 994-7151


Anna Greenberg - Study Abroad Advisor and Outreach Coordinator

Tel: (406) 994-7151
Fax: (406) 994-1619


Susan Welker - Study Abroad Manager

Tel: (406) 994-5719
Fax: (406) 994-1619


Alyson Roberts - CCIS Advisor and Coordinator

Tel: (406) 994-7044
Fax: (406) 994-1619


Study Abroad Programs dream. discover. explore. learn. connect. go.
Credits and Grades

Via Cassia Sud


Transferring Credit

Courses successfully completed abroad can be transferred to MSU.  The Course Approval Form must be completed by students, advisors, and the registrar for courses to fulfill major, minor, or core requirements. This form also allows students to have courses abroad pre-approved for degree requirements at MSU.

Who needs a copy of the Study Abroad Course Approval Form?

  • Your academic advisor
  • Office of International Programs
  • Office of the Registrar (if receiving credit for Core Courses)
  • Take a copy abroad

Credit and Grade Transferability

  • Courses to fulfill major or minor requirements must be approved by the student's academic advisor.
  • Core requirements must be approved by the Registrar.
  • Only those courses that have been passed according to the host institution's grading policy (whether it be numbers, letter grades, or simply pass/fail) will be considered for transferability.
  • Total credits awarded will usually not be greater than what you would normally take in the same time period at MSU.
  • If a course taken abroad is viewed to have the same course content as a course previously taken at MSU, your original MSU credits for the course will be deleted.
  • BE AWARE OF MSU GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS!  Check the MSU catalog on the MSU web page or see the Registrar's Office if you have questions or concerns.
  • Keep copies of course descriptions, syllabi, and any other records you feel may be important for the proper evaluation of your courses.


Transcripts abroad will not always be sent automatically. Students must make arrangements for their official transcript to be sent to MSU before they leave the host institution.  Students need to complete the Transcript Form for the Registrar's office.  Students may also want to obtain two or more personal copies of the foreign transcript.  Obtaining official copies in the future may be difficult.  For more information about transcripts, contact the Registrar's Office.